Where are you guys getting pinions from?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickDawg

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Outcast 8s
  3. Typhon Mega
I see a bunch from the usual sources...
And some look terrible in the finish judging by provided pictures.
What's your go to source for unmistakable quality?

Thanks!

I don't know about unmistakable quality, but I've had good luck with surpasshobbyusa.net pinions and they're affordable.

I knew you linked those the other day, but couldn’t remember the brand. I was trying to find the post to no avail. Glad this thread came up.

So far I’ve used saga gears, but I will probably try some of the surpass ones.

I get mine in Sweden from Kullager Grossisten and I've been really happy with them. They cost between $8-14, come in sizes from 13-49T and are machined from proper hardened steel. I'm still working on a comparison but I believe them to be on par with SAGA gears from a preliminary superficial comparison. To be fair, I don't have anything to objectively determine hardness. But their durability and wear characteristics have been great so far, they're not made of sintered metal like Tekno gears (I know that some people swear by them but I got a 30T Tekno pinion and 2/3 of the teeth broke off on the second pass...maybe this was a fluke but after seeing what the "metal" looked on the inside I'll never get one of them again) and the price point is great for what you get.
1669612001491.png

Those Surpass are pretty good value for money. I’ve found Tekno’s last longer, but at a higher price.
THE selling point for me is the Tekno’s 5mm hex2.5 grub screw👍.
@Diem Turner I’ve ordered bearings at Kugellager Grossisten before and I was not aware of their pinions👍.
If you happen to found some time I would appreciate if you could measure their pinions length.
Here’s a Tekno 17T vs a Surpass 16T; the Tekno’s are about 1.5mm shorter.

29B1CDAA-FEB7-4E53-9D48-FD058DA82177.jpeg

23BFE056-CBC5-47DF-955D-1F4D790D2178.jpeg

The Kullargrossisten pinions are all 14mm thick. I believe the difference is entirely down to the beveled edges. They have M5 grubs. I've replaced all of my grubs with Torx grubs and I have yet to have one come loose on me, whether I use thread locker or not.

The Kullargrossisten pinions are all 14mm thick. I believe the difference is entirely down to the beveled edges. They have M5 grubs. I've replaced all of my grubs with Torx grubs and I have yet to have one come loose on me, whether I use thread locker or not.
I'll have to try the torx trick since I'm super paranoid about one coming loose despite not having it happen yet.

Those Surpass are pretty good value for money. I’ve found Tekno’s last longer, but at a higher price.
THE selling point for me is the Tekno’s 5mm hex2.5 grub screw👍.
@Diem Turner I’ve ordered bearings at Kugellager Grossisten before and I was not aware of their pinions👍.
If you happen to found some time I would appreciate if you could measure their pinions length.
Here’s a Tekno 17T vs a Surpass 16T; the Tekno’s are about 1.5mm shorter.

View attachment 258975

View attachment 258976
Does Tekno even make 8mm pinions?

Torx Grub screws. What an idea. Absolutely make sense.(y)(y) Hard to strip those, no doubt.
I run Tekno pinions for the most part. But they don't come in the higher tooth counts if you are looking for a large Spool Spur gear, Depends on your gearing setup. I have been lucky with the larger sized Mod 1 Arrma pinions. Smaller ones suck. (12-15T ones)
Many swear by Saga Customs.

Yeah I forgot, we are taking 8mm 1/5 8S pinions. Tekno doesn't have them.(n):giggle:

I'm probably gonna go with eBay eL cheapos until I figure best combo.

For some halfway reasonably priced gears (both 5mm and 8mm bore) check out the selection at Island Hobby Nut. Aside from SAGA you also have Powerhobby and Island Hobby Nut and they're available in a wide range of sizes. They're all made from hardened steel.
5mm: https://www.islandhobbynut.com/shop
8mm: https://www.islandhobbynut.com/shop-3
Torx Grub screws. What an idea. Absolutely make sense.(y)(y) Hard to strip those, no doubt.
I run Tekno pinions for the most part. But they don't come in the higher tooth counts if you are looking for a large Spool Spur gear, Depends on your gearing setup. I have been lucky with the larger sized Mod 1 Arrma pinions. Smaller ones suck. (12-15T ones)
Many swear by Saga Customs.
SAGA makes fantastic gears, but there are a few competitors. As for the Torx grubs, I love 'em. I haven't had one come loose on me yet, whether I was using thread locker or not. I couldn't find any M4 grubs for my 5mm pinions but, after some searching, I was able to find some M5x5mm Torx grubs from FG, part number 6930/05.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back