Which air compressor to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I don’t really need an air compressor but it’d be nice for cleaning out the RC cars. My point is that it would only be used for that.

What do you have and would you recommend it? Noise level is a primary criterion. Thanks.

I sure noise would be a factor but if you are in the US I would check out Harbor Freight. I'm not a huge fan of their tools but I bought a compressor just for this reason and have no complaints.

Well good luck on the noise level.. Ones that say they are "quiet" might be quiet in comparison but they are all loud..

If your only going to be using it to blow off RC cars, Id recommend a simple single stage 5 gal compressor. I own a single stage 20 gal and a dual stage 40 gal. My 20 gal is on wheels and I'll wheel it out of my garage on the side when its filling up. If I'm filling up either one and cant wheel the 20 gal out of the garage OR fire up my 220V 40 gal that's bolted to the floor I'll wear hearing protection.

I have a 7 gallon porta cable and i bought it primarily to clean my rigs but I use it all the time. I have attachments for blowing plus an impact wrench and an inflator. One of the best tools I have its awesome 👌

Harbor Freight
20210326_171118.jpg

Not just any CRX... That's my EE8. After a few years of driving it on the Autobahn, I imported it to the states under the 25 year rule. Fuel leak burned the engine compartment to the ground 11 months ago (almost lost my house), but I've got a 230 HP CNC-ported ITR motor to fill the void.

Nope. This is mine.
60 decibels.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-4-gallon-quiet-air-compressor-0581292p.html#srp
It won’t stop a conversation when it starts.
Might be good for shooting nails , but for non-stop air blowing like the OP said , how will it do ? 3.3 scfm is not a lot . The last oil less compressor I had was a Crafstman 5hp 60 gallon, loud as hell , I burned it out in less than a year . Got a Coleman from Sams club 7.5 hp 2 stage 80 gallon 15.7 scfm , 26 years old now and still going .
So what you are saying is oil less compressors have evolved to be quiet ?

Not just any CRX... That's my EE8. After a few years of driving it on the Autobahn, I imported it to the states under the 25 year rule. Fuel leak burned the engine compartment to the ground 11 months ago (almost lost my house), but I've got a 230 HP CNC-ported ITR motor to fill the void.
Thats bad ass! Love that gen of crx. Jeep me posted on the build

I got two really small silent compressors connected. 2x1500 watt. The airtank is the important part. Some buy just an extra airtank to increase volume.

lol I love the search feature and this forum. Thank you for posting this! think i'm going to try it out.
I have that exact compressor. Works good for $40, but for cleaning /blowing dirt off the RC car, you get about 30 seconds of good pressure, then another 30 seconds of ok-but-not-great pressure, then you get to wait 10 minuets for it to fill up again.

Also, the outlet regulator went out on it after about 10 minutes of use. Not a huge issue, as I just got a second $10 HF regulator and added it to the outlet. But, just shows how crappy the quality of HF stuff is.

When I had a new fence put in last year, they fence guy had one of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-4...wered-Silent-Air-Compressor-3320445/305026725
Was pretty quiet, and cycled up to pressure pretty quick. When my HF compressor dies, or when I get tired of it, that is the next one I will buy.

I don’t really need an air compressor but it’d be nice for cleaning out the RC cars. My point is that it would only be used for that.

What do you have and would you recommend it? Noise level is a primary criterion. Thanks.
I use a compressor also but you may want to consider a cordless handheld blower for computer keyboards ect.
Using a compressor can push debris further into electronics and bearings so a less powerful shot of air might be better.
When I use compressed air, I keep it held a little further back rather than up close. Just sharing my experience. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back