Big Rock Which ally upgrade would you buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mavro Drakos

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
I think I have a condition. OCPB Obsessive compulsive parts buying. I go weak at the knees for anything in anodised aluminium.

I've just found a load of new Big Rock upgrades from Hong Kong.

Apart from looking nice are these actually likely to be any good. I would imagine the aluminium A arms might actually be heavier than the stock plastic ones. And I would wince a lot more when I scratched them.

The shocks look interesting. I know people were trying all sorts of different solutions to upgrade the stock shocks. Has anyone tried these?

Not sure I see the point in the ally diff yoke. Its not visible, I'm guessing will be heavier. Would it have an impact on performance do you think?

I like the adjustable shock towers. Oh just noticed the A-arms have multiple positionings. Always nice to have more options to fiddle with suspension set up.

The wheelie bar is missing the bit that actually breaks so for me it looks good but doesn't give the strength in the right place.
I've not heard of GPM so don't know if their stuff is any good.

What do you guys think? What would you invest in first and what wouldn't you bother with?

https://www.gpmracing.com.hk/en/products?cat=1-10-4WD-BIG-ROCK-CREW-CAB-4X4-3S-BLX-AR102711&fid=155

Aluminium isn’t really a great choice for things like suspension arms, or any part that takes a hit, for two reasons...

it’s stiffer than composite, and will transfer more of the shock to other parts, leading to (for example) more widespread damage as opposed to a cracked suspension arm.

it doesn’t like bending back to shape, so if it gets deformed it’s staying that way until it breaks. it differs from steel in this respect. aluminium frame bicycles have bolt on replaceable mounts for derailleurs for this reason, steel bends back, ally does not.

bear that in mind when choosing bits.

Last edited:
Aluminum to me is a no no unless it's truly needed like shocks on the 3 and 4s. It adds weight to your rig just for the bling. A arms are heavy and will transfer energy to the next part to break. So I can agree on shocks for alloy upgrade for starters.

GPM parts are the cheapest and usually lowest quality alu upgrades for many platforms.

Upgrade the compact bits if you really have to, like bulkheads and knuckles. A arms should stay flexible.

Glad I asked :). Good to know that A arms need some flex. It makes sense now I think about it.

Aluminum knuckles are a smart decision. Most brushed/ low end brushless rtrs have knuckles being a weak point.
And I’d beware buying from China. The product delivered to your door will probably end up like integy items (doesn’t fit properly, unfinished tapping, flat out not designed for your truck)

Aluminum knuckles are a smart decision. Most brushed/ low end brushless rtrs have knuckles being a weak point.
And I’d beware buying from China. The product delivered to your door will probably end up like integy items (doesn’t fit properly, unfinished tapping, flat out not designed for your truck)
This ^ GPM parts are more for show than for go. Anything they make that has plastic parts the plastic is about the worst quality I have ever seen. Their products are really hit or miss as far as quality goes.
I have their center diff mount, a diff cup and had a shock tower on my Outcast, the shock tower lasted one jump then folded over like a piece of paper, so far the diff mount and diff cup are working fine.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back