Which Dremel to buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think my Dremel is probably discontinued now as it's about 10 years or older I'd guess but still going strong. :D

Personally which ever Dremel model you decide on I would always go for a mains powered version but that's just me. I can totally see the benefit of a rechargeable one with no wires to worry about but I always think the mains powered tools are better for the abuse I put them through.

Make sure you grab a Dremel "EZ SpeedClic" cutting set (basically like a keyless chuck for cutting discs) with it too as it is so much better than the old system for cutting discs where you had to unscrew a tiny screw on the mandrel to change discs.

Think my Dremel is probably discontinued now as it's about 10 years or older I'd guess but still going strong. :D

Personally which ever Dremel model you decide on I would always go for a mains powered version but that's just me. I can totally see the benefit of a rechargeable one with no wires to worry about but I always think the mains powered tools are better for the abuse I put them through.

Make sure you grab a Dremel "EZ SpeedClic" cutting set (basically like a keyless chuck for cutting discs) with it too as it is so much better than the old system for cutting discs where you had to unscrew a tiny screw on the mandrel to change discs.
The EZ system is nice, but it does have a tendency to want to wander around a little bit because the disc isn't completely secured to the shaft. once you get used to it it's not too bad but I blew up one of those EZ discs the first time I tried to use one because I wasn't prepared for how much they like to wander

Do they make the reinforced cutting disks in that?

I have a regular chorded Dremel brand tool, but last year my dad bought me a Ryobi ONE+ Dremel tool.
I use the heck out of it all the time, it has been great. I really like the mobility and battery life for being a rotary tool. I had a cordless Dremel brand years ago and it would die in 2 mins.

I happen to also have many of Ryobi tools and batteries so it worked out well. The variable speed works very well. My only complaint is under heavy loads it can struggle to hold a steady rpm, but that is pretty typical off all tools in this category. This one seems to never overhead like my Dremel brand model does.

1590460785684.png

I use the battery powered versions. Mine are fairly old, never had battery issues, they are as strong today as they were when I bought them.
Equivalents are Dremel Lite 7760 (4V) and Dremel 8220 (12V)

I believe the 4300 is the newest model. Amazon has it for $99. There are other models for less that are more compact and lighter in weight. Can the smaller Dremels still cut steel pins if need be? Not sure if I need the 4300 or if can go with the less expensive units.

Keep a potential future upgrade in mind as you want to do more and more with a dremel.
The Dremel Lite 7760 can easily cut them, if you are talking up to hinge pin size (4mm).

Pick a tool that comes with a good case. That is probably the best advise I can give on these dremel tools. Tool itself is great but always hunting for the accessories is painful. If you can keep it all in one box you've got it made (at least the critical items).

Keep a potential future upgrade in mind as you want to do more and more with a dremel.
The Dremel Lite 7760 can easily cut them, if you are talking up to hinge pin size (4mm).

Pick a tool that comes with a good case. That is probably the best advise I can give on these dremel tools. Tool itself is great but always hunting for the accessories is painful. If you can keep it all in one box you've got it made (at least the critical items).

Tools are always a good investment but I was thinking if the Dremel Lite 7760 can handle what I would need it to do for RC work (cut/trim plastics, hinge pins, light sanding, etc.) then I would rather go for something more lightweight and less expensive.

Tools are always a good investment but I was thinking if the Dremel Lite 7760 can handle what I would need it to do for RC work (cut/trim plastics, hinge pins, light sanding, etc.) then I would rather go for something more lightweight and less expensive.
The thing about the low voltage cordless tools is that they run out of steam at the worst times and often might not have the torque to maintain the proper RPM while cutting. Especially on something like metal, you want the RPM to be high in order to cut the material quickly and not cause the cutting disc to overheat.

I have a regular chorded Dremel brand tool, but last year my dad bought me a Ryobi ONE+ Dremel tool.
I use the heck out of it all the time, it has been great. I really like the mobility and battery life for being a rotary tool. I had a cordless Dremel brand years ago and it would die in 2 mins.

I happen to also have many of Ryobi tools and batteries so it worked out well. The variable speed works very well. My only complaint is under heavy loads it can struggle to hold a steady rpm, but that is pretty typical off all tools in this category. This one seems to never overhead like my Dremel brand model does.

View attachment 82688
I 2nd this, works very well...I have a corded dremel too, but never use it any more.

Yeah that should work. Just use caution - when you are cutting the body make sure that the tool is running at a high speed. The problem with lexan is that if you cut it at low speeds it cracks. you basically want to ride the line between shaving the body and causing it to melt

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back