Infraction Which ESC gives me the most options post the stock motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sissupr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Max 5
Castle XLX
etc.

I don’t plan on replacing the stock blx motor until needed, get bored, etc...

Which ESC would give me the most flexibility (run 8S, etc...)?

Some additional things...
- I’m planning on keeping this rig long term
- I plan on mostly using this truck for speed runs. Not trying to beat world records, but it would be my first dedicated speed rig.
- I will be updating all the electronics as well. Can this impact my ESC decision? This includes a high end TX/RX, for example like a DX5 Pro or Futaba 4PX.
- Warranty is a big deal. So factoring in any experiences as to what can potentially sway my decision from one brand to the next.
- I have 4 rigs that utilize a Hobbywing ESC, so are there any HW options that could make sense?
- Costs. I don’t want to say it doesn’t matter, but I want ‘buy once, cry once’.

What other questions should I be answering/asking myself?

FYI. Truck is inbound and should be on my doorstep tomorrow! ?

Max 5
Castle XLX
etc.

I don’t plan on replacing the stock blx motor until needed, get bored, etc...

Which ESC would give me the most flexibility (run 8S, etc...)?

Some additional things...
- I’m planning on keeping this rig long term
- I plan on mostly using this truck for speed runs. Not trying to beat world records, but it would be my first dedicated speed rig.
- I will be updating all the electronics as well. Can this impact my ESC decision? This includes a high end TX/RX, for example like a DX5 Pro or Futaba 4PX.
- Warranty is a big deal. So factoring in any experiences as to what can potentially sway my decision from one brand to the next.
- I have 4 rigs that utilize a Hobbywing ESC, so are there any HW options that could make sense?
- Costs. I don’t want to say it doesn’t matter, but I want ‘buy once, cry once’.

What other questions should I be answering/asking myself?

FYI. Truck is inbound and should be on my doorstep tomorrow! ?
Castle XLX, hands down more settings than you’ll ever use.

XL X, in this moment, only option, if you want to go fast.
On the other hand reliability is
another question. My newest 2019. XL X gone crazy out of the box, even Castle didn't have an idea what is wrong. My older XL X is fine after few years... Castle has good service, but be ready to wait(in my case one month and I am still waiting...)

Thanks. Did some research and I guess there’s a couple different options that mount the XLX above the diff. Found these on eBay for about $30. The plate is local in the US, the other is out of country.

Anyone have experience with mounting options or any other recommendation. I think I’m going to place an order for the XLX today... seems to be sold out at some places...

Attachments

• 41D47B97-2D1B-4B50-B94F-B0131EBBDF97.jpeg
    41D47B97-2D1B-4B50-B94F-B0131EBBDF97.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • D0B8D8D9-D135-4DC6-B550-25B6AD6A387B.jpeg
    D0B8D8D9-D135-4DC6-B550-25B6AD6A387B.jpeg
    842 KB · Views: 49
If you could send me a couple pics that would be great, what TP motor is that?

It is TP 4070CM 2900KV, that is on my old car. On my new car I use 4050CM. I will take some pictures, no problem.

Awesome thanks.

There’s only one version Mamba XLX correct, don’t want to buy the wrong one ?‍♂️

Cheapest place I can find it in stock...eBay.

Attachments

• ACFFA3D9-D8EA-4539-AC00-6007E6829B52.png
    ACFFA3D9-D8EA-4539-AC00-6007E6829B52.png
    452.8 KB · Views: 37
Awesome thanks.

There’s only one version Mamba XLX correct, don’t want to buy the wrong one ?‍♂️

Cheapest place I can find it in stock...eBay.
There's an older version XL2, but they are rare now.

Yes one and only. :) I got mine from Amain, I like them, they have been super nice always...

XL X, in this moment, only option, if you want to go fast.
On the other hand reliability is
another question. My newest 2019. XL X gone crazy out of the box, even Castle didn't have an idea what is wrong. My older XL X is fine after few years... Castle has good service, but be ready to wait(in my case one month and I am still waiting...)
Hey, did you set the amp range to 400 and update the SW?

The XL-X is sensitive to ripple voltage under load. Be sure to run a cap pack also. Some users here on this forum burnt them up (literally on fire) due to not running a cap pack.

I enjoy speed runs a little more than one should. It's a problem.... (check out my build thread)
If you want some guidance feel free to shoot me a PM. Some solid advice can save you hundreds of dollars and lots of frustration.

-Liberty

The XL-X is sensitive to ripple voltage under load. Be sure to run a cap pack also. Some users here on this forum burnt them up (literally on fire) due to not running a cap.

-Liberty
And connectors that can handle the power the XLX can produce. (6.5 bullets or XT150)

Yes 400A. For speedruns/drag I ise 1.78 I don't want to go in details but 1.78 works fine.
And yes XL X needs monster LiPo and monster Cap pack. I buld my own packs using Nichicon capacitors UFG and UHW series. I use 6x2.200uF and 8x2.200uF Cap pack.
Look at these beautys :)
20190924_103319.jpg

Is the XLX waterproof? Just curious, and if not, not sure that would sway your descision one way or the other. I'm guessing your not intending on skipping it across a pond, but hitting a puddle at 100mph... or skipping off into the morning dew on grass could cause expensive problems.

Any castle esc and water don't mix. Regardless what the label says.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back