Typhon Which heatsink fits?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trowelfaz

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I bought an ARRMA Motor Heatsink 4074 (p/n ARA390299) for my Typhon v5 6s with the stock Spectrum motor but it doesn't fit correctly. For some stupid reason, I cannot compress the aluminum sides together enough to fasten the retaining spring steel clip (maybe because this is for a 40mm motor and it seems that my Spektrum motor is 41.7mm - DOH!). Anyone have a recommendation as to what heatsink (maybe with fan?) will fit the v5 with Spektrum motor? I see people running the Yeah racing heatsink/fan combo, but dunno if it will fit correctly since I also see posts where it is too big and needs to be shimmed.

Thanks!

Will this one work?

Powerhobby Aluminum Heat Sink with Twin Turbo High Speed Fans Sets for 1:8 Motors with Around 40.8mm Diameter​

Last edited:
It IS a fit, you have to try and stretch that clip. That 4074 Arrma HS is the perfect and best fit. Needs to be tight to function best as a HS. The YR and PH are just fair, IMHO. They have much less mass though and fit best on 42mm can motors (older BLX 4274 Non Firma motor). .There is a thread discussing this problem with YR HS on a Firma motor. Shimming it etc. Not being tight enough.
I would keep working with that stock HS. You are doing something wrong. Muscle it more to get the clip on. This HS comes standard already mounted to the 4074 Firma motors on many other 6s rigs. Like the On Road Infr and Fel. Just that the Typhon doesn't come with it already mounted as stock.
This HS and the Firma motor are a match. 👍🤷‍♂️
My spin.:cool:

EDIT: the HS clip is made of Spring Steel and is very hard metal to stretch/bend ( a good thing actually). Try heating it up ( heat gun or similar) and with gloves it may work.

Last edited:
The Arrma site and a couple of others show that the ARRMA Motor Heatsink 4074 does not fit the Typhon, I don't know why

I purchased the Power Hobby twin fans for my Typhon S6 V5 because a member on this forum said it will work
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-1-8-Al...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
It is sitting on my workbench and I'm about a week out before I will have time to see if it fits (not sure how well the body will fit over the fans)

Is heat an issue for you right now? And you need a fan. How hot does your temp gun say you are at? Is you ESC hitting Thermal cut?
Or you just want one for the stock gears and motor because.... everyone else is doing it? 🤷‍♂️

There were 2 issues with using a fan and HS if you do.
I don't know what applies to your Typhon specifically.
Getting the stock Arrma 4074 HS with fan, will fit the Firma 4074 motor. Some say they cant get the Spring steel clip to attach and clamp the HS on the motor. But it is a fit nonetheless. Just someone's flawed reasoning that it doesn't work, just couldn't figure how to install it.🤷‍♂️
Second, maybe the HS and fan is too large for clearance under the Typhon body. I don't see why it wouldn't.
But also, I don't see that this Firma HS/fan is listed as an option part for the Typhon V5 at ArrmaRC.com. So maybe that is a consideration. IDK.
I will let others chime in on this.
But in general many have installed HS of all types without issue.
Like I asked above. Do you find yourself really needing a HS/fan to begin with. Only a temp gun will tell you that. If your ESC is Thermal cutting, then it is obvious. Otherwise its anyone's guess if you yourself need it.
Others will probably chime in with their ideas. Personally I feel the stock HS/fan is best for the Firma motor. I have YR/PH setup as you have it works best on the 4274 older BLX motor. 2mm wider than the 4074 Firma motor.

I bought an ARRMA Motor Heatsink 4074 (p/n ARA390299) for my Typhon v5 6s with the stock Spectrum motor but it doesn't fit correctly. For some stupid reason, I cannot compress the aluminum sides together enough to fasten the retaining spring steel clip (maybe because this is for a 40mm motor and it seems that my Spektrum motor is 41.7mm - DOH!). Anyone have a recommendation as to what heatsink (maybe with fan?) will fit the v5 with Spektrum motor? I see people running the Yeah racing heatsink/fan combo, but dunno if it will fit correctly since I also see posts where it is too big and needs to be shimmed.

Thanks!

Will this one work?

Powerhobby Aluminum Heat Sink with Twin Turbo High Speed Fans Sets for 1:8 Motors with Around 40.8mm Diameter​

I run this trinity 40mm fan now

Yeah that's the 40mm fan i use, but with a exotek high rise heatsink...motor doesn't cool properly using the standard heatsink. Regular heatsink is for smooth surface motors
This is my current setup...i did run dual 40mm but fans was raised .5in above motor. Castle 2200 16t46 spur

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210222-154605.png
    Screenshot_20210222-154605.png
    553.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_20210222-154727.png
    Screenshot_20210222-154727.png
    265.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20210222-154746.png
    Screenshot_20210222-154746.png
    234.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Yeah that's the 40mm fan i use, but with a exotek high rise heatsink...motor doesn't cool properly using the standard heatsink. Regular heatsink is for smooth surface motors
This is my current setup...i did run dual 40mm but fans was raised .5in above motor. Castle 2200 16t46 spur
Pictures of your heatsink set up would really help.

Is heat an issue for you right now? And you need a fan. How hot does your temp gun say you are at? Is you ESC hitting Thermal cut?
Or you just want one for the stock gears and motor because.... everyone else is doing it? 🤷‍♂️

There were 2 issues with using a fan and HS if you do.
I don't know what applies to your Typhon specifically.
Getting the stock Arrma 4074 HS with fan, will fit the Firma 4074 motor. Some say they cant get the Spring steel clip to attach and clamp the HS on the motor. But it is a fit nonetheless. Just someone's flawed reasoning that it doesn't work, just couldn't figure how to install it.🤷‍♂️
Second, maybe the HS and fan is too large for clearance under the Typhon body. I don't see why it wouldn't.
But also, I don't see that this Firma HS/fan is listed as an option part for the Typhon V5 at ArrmaRC.com. So maybe that is a consideration. IDK.
I will let others chime in on this.
But in general many have installed HS of all types without issue.
Like I asked above. Do you find yourself really needing a HS/fan to begin with. Only a temp gun will tell you that. If your ESC is Thermal cutting, then it is obvious. Otherwise its anyone's guess if you yourself need it.
Others will probably chime in with their ideas. Personally I feel the stock HS/fan is best for the Firma motor. I have YR/PH setup as you have it works best on the 4274 older BLX motor. 2mm wider than the 4074 Firma motor.

I installed the Arrma 4074 the other day on my Typhon 6s v5 . It was a royal PIA. After seeing this thread blow up I figured I better check and see if the body actually fits on the car now. Uhg. No matter which direction you move the motor too the fan hits the body. Its to tall by about 1/4 inch. I placed an order for the Team Trinity 40mm fan set up to see if it sits a little lower. I may try and modify the 4074 so that I can use the heatsink itself without the fn it comes with and the Trinity at the same time. well see. That clip on the Arrma 4074 is a whore though. I was worried about stabbing myself with the screw diver while I was mounting it on the motor.

Pictures of your heatsink set up would really help.

I installed the Arrma 4074 the other day on my Typhon 6s v5 . It was a royal PIA. After seeing this thread blow up I figured I better check and see if the body actually fits on the car now. Uhg. No matter which direction you move the motor too the fan hits the body. Its to tall by about 1/4 inch. I placed an order for the Team Trinity 40mm fan set up to see if it sits a little lower. I may try and modify the 4074 so that I can use the heatsink itself without the fn it comes with and the Trinity at the same time. well see. That clip on the Arrma 4074 is a whore though. I was worried about stabbing myself with the screw diver while I was mounting it on the motor.
I raised the front body clip

@1coopgt, I know that spring is a PIA for sure. No need to explain better. Me personally, I would mount the fan without a HS per se. Better than just the HS alone. Just me. They make fan mounts just for fans. for 40mm can motors. Adjustable to diameter. Much easier than fitting a HS by comparison. Remember the motor IS a HS by its design. Just some ideas to make cooling work under that Typhon body. Its tight. I suspected that. That's why Arrma doesn't show it as an option ONLY on the Typhon. Even though it has the Firma motor. :cool:
Guessing you don't have a V5 then . Because I don't see any way to raise the front body mount. Picture please.
Raise the rear posts???? @1coopgt can that be done? The rear of the body is the clearance problem as I see it it.
Yeah the front B post is fixed.

@1coopgt, I know that spring is a PIA for sure. No need to explain better. Me personally, I would mount the fan without a HS per se. Better than just the HS alone. Just me. They make fan mounts just for fans. for 40mm can motors. Adjustable to diameter. Much easier than fitting a HS by comparison. Remember the motor IS a HS by its design. Just some ideas to make cooling work under that Typhon body. Its tight. I suspected that. That's why Arrma doesn't show it as an option ONLY on the Typhon. Even though it has the Firma motor. :cool:

Raise the rear posts???? @1coopgt can that be done? The rear of the body is the clearance problem as I see it it.
Yeah the front B post is fixed.
Sadly the body posts on the V5 aren't adjustable. Front or Rear.

Did not know V5 was like that. You can source the adjustable posts I am sure. But honestly raising the posts is something I would try and avoid if possible. Just me. I like the body low and snug. Chassis stays cleaner etc. One of the advantages of a buggy body IMHO. Consider a fan mount only with you current fan(s). I have some here I just got from AMZ. Used it on my Infr. Have extras for other rigs like my MT410. I'll send a picture. for ideas .
If you had to guess or measure, how much room do you have exactly between your body and the motor?? 20mm??? More or less? A way to measure yours?

It certainly worked on my Typhon 6s V5.. with the clip installed.
It took me a good 5 minutes to figure out how to install the heatsink on the motor... it's tight! and this is a good thing actually. You want the contact to be as tight as possible for better thermals.

I basically installed the clip on the heatsink first. Then with big pliers, I compressed the whole assembly.
It allowed me to slide the heatsink assembly on the motor.. pretty easily :)

I personally think this heatsink is a better design than after market ones I've seen on the web.
I could be wrong, just my personal opinion.

1614045950567.png

1614045970972.png

1614046000062.png

It certainly worked on my Typhon 6s V5.. with the clip installed.
It took me a good 5 minutes to figure out how to install the heatsink on the motor... it's tight! and this is a good thing actually. You want the contact to be as tight as possible for better thermals.

I basically installed the clip on the heatsink first. Then with big pliers, I compressed the whole assembly.
It allowed me to slide the heatsink assembly on the motor.. pretty easily :)

I personally think this heatsink is a better design than after market ones I've seen on the web.
I could be wrong, just my personal opinion.

View attachment 128155
View attachment 128156

View attachment 128157
Yeah it would you don't have the fan on it. And from the looks of it you can't put the side guard back in because it would hit the fan if it were on it.

Wait you so you can't unscrew the front body mount and put a washer same diameter as screw to raise it? I usesd the rear chassis brace spacers. I send pick in 30 min
I've only had the Typhon about 2 weeks . Just getting it ready for spring and learning about it at the same time. Sorry if I came across the wrong way . The pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, Rear Chassis brace spacer ?

Yeah it would you don't have the fan on it. And from the looks of it you can't put the side guard back in because it would hit the fan if it were on it.
I just got this RC after a few years without any.. so i couldnt try different gearing and terrains.. but Im expecting good temps with those small wheels and tires. I’m basically assuming i don't really need a fan with this heatsink. From my past experiences, fans tend to break easy. Again i could be wrong.

Back