Typhon Which heatsink fits?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trowelfaz

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I bought an ARRMA Motor Heatsink 4074 (p/n ARA390299) for my Typhon v5 6s with the stock Spectrum motor but it doesn't fit correctly. For some stupid reason, I cannot compress the aluminum sides together enough to fasten the retaining spring steel clip (maybe because this is for a 40mm motor and it seems that my Spektrum motor is 41.7mm - DOH!). Anyone have a recommendation as to what heatsink (maybe with fan?) will fit the v5 with Spektrum motor? I see people running the Yeah racing heatsink/fan combo, but dunno if it will fit correctly since I also see posts where it is too big and needs to be shimmed.

Thanks!

Will this one work?

Powerhobby Aluminum Heat Sink with Twin Turbo High Speed Fans Sets for 1:8 Motors with Around 40.8mm Diameter​

Last edited:
It certainly worked on my Typhon 6s V5.. with the clip installed.
It took me a good 5 minutes to figure out how to install the heatsink on the motor... it's tight! and this is a good thing actually. You want the contact to be as tight as possible for better thermals.

I basically installed the clip on the heatsink first. Then with big pliers, I compressed the whole assembly.
It allowed me to slide the heatsink assembly on the motor.. pretty easily :)

I personally think this heatsink is a better design than after market ones I've seen on the web.
I could be wrong, just my personal opinion.

View attachment 128155
View attachment 128156

View attachment 128157
Without question the stock Arrma HS/ fan probably works best, fit to the Firma motor, and cooling wise.

I've only had the Typhon about 2 weeks . Just getting it ready for spring and learning about it at the same time. Sorry if I came across the wrong way . The pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, Rear Chassis brace spacer ?
Its all good bro....we all started somewhere in rc world, guys on this app will break it down poop down for real. If they say post video of sound bet your ass they can figure it real quick 😂

This what i used but plastic spacers
Then you should have clearance in front and back

Screenshot_20210222-190359.png

I've only had the Typhon about 2 weeks . Just getting it ready for spring and learning about it at the same time. Sorry if I came across the wrong way . The pictures will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, Rear Chassis brace spacer ?
@Kingleo619, is referring to the spacers that sit between the wing mount and the rear chassis brace at the rear bulkhead. There are 2 sizes I believe. A short and a long one. (usually)

It certainly worked on my Typhon 6s V5.. with the clip installed.
It took me a good 5 minutes to figure out how to install the heatsink on the motor... it's tight! and this is a good thing actually. You want the contact to be as tight as possible for better thermals.

I basically installed the clip on the heatsink first. Then with big pliers, I compressed the whole assembly.
It allowed me to slide the heatsink assembly on the motor.. pretty easily :)

I personally think this heatsink is a better design than after market ones I've seen on the web.
I could be wrong, just my personal opinion.

View attachment 128155
View attachment 128156

View attachment 128157
Wanted to add for future reference. The clip is painless to install on the firma motor, but there’s a trick to it. One end of the clip has a hole in it. Place the opposite side of the clip in the hs groove, stick a pointed pick through the hole and just leverage straight down, it will lift the other side of the spring clip while compressing it at the same time and it will pop into the other side of the hs with little to no effort. Hope this helps anyone that uses the arrma hs in the future and finds themselves fighting with the clip.

Isn’t the Arrma heatsink for the 4074 only suited for a 35mm fan? Won’t work with a 40mm fan, correct?

So for sure, a 40mm fan will mount to this heatsink; not just a 35mm? I keep reading only 35mm. 🤷‍♂️
Sorry I have to take this back.
The 4074 (ARA390299) heatsink has screws holes spaced for 35mm fans.

30mm fan will not align. You could use only one screw and glue the fan on the HS with shoegoo, pretty sure it would do the trick.
1631228992048.png

35mm fan aligns perfectly. You may need to turn the HS top side so the fan doesn't interfere with the body.
For now, I run fanless and temps are acceptable.
1631229051903.png

I've found the HS and motor do not have a perfect match (even tough I'm convinced it's better than cheap knok offs).
You can see the air gap here, btw the clip was installed:
1631229160592.png

I like to use thermal paste for a perfect heat transfer :)
1631229283189.png

Is there a list of fans that will work with this heat sink? i have been looking for some time and there are only a few options out there for a 35mm fan.

This what i used but plastic spacers
Then you should have clearance in front and back

View attachment 128163
Newbie here... and I'm missing something here. I have the new 1/8 TLR Tuned TYPHON 6S 4WD BLX Buggy RTR, Item No. ARRMA - ARA8406 and cannot figure where the spacer spindles would go.
Would you have a picture of where this would go?

Maybe the new Tyyphon is different. I looked at the manuals and they seem the same but maybe their wrong.

I'd like to do this to raise my Typon.

Thank you

Newbie here... and I'm missing something here. I have the new 1/8 TLR Tuned TYPHON 6S 4WD BLX Buggy RTR, Item No. ARRMA - ARA8406 and cannot figure where the spacer spindles would go.
Would you have a picture of where this would go?

Maybe the new Tyyphon is different. I looked at the manuals and they seem the same but maybe their wrong.

I'd like to do this to raise my Typon.

Thank you
What you can do to raise the rear body mounts is to just use the bottom 2 holes of the mount itself thru the top 2 holes in the rear shock tower. You'll only be using 1 screw per side but it should be plenty solid. You can see the bottom screw hole not being used right above that nut in the tower

20230503_130029.jpg

Sorry I have to take this back.
The 4074 (ARA390299) heatsink has screws holes spaced for 35mm fans.

30mm fan will not align. You could use only one screw and glue the fan on the HS with shoegoo, pretty sure it would do the trick.
View attachment 168225

35mm fan aligns perfectly. You may need to turn the HS top side so the fan doesn't interfere with the body.
For now, I run fanless and temps are acceptable.
View attachment 168226

I've found the HS and motor do not have a perfect match (even tough I'm convinced it's better than cheap knok offs).
You can see the air gap here, btw the clip was installed:
View attachment 168230

I like to use thermal paste for a perfect heat transfer :)
View attachment 168232
Screw holes are 29mm apart square i used the rocket fan on kine fits perfect with 16mm m3 screws

Back