Kraton Which is best suited to run on sand dunes? Of the 6s Arrma line?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cravo

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all of you, im about to pull the trigger on a Arrma 6s, i just have nit manage to choose wich, of the 6s line, i will be running mostly on beach sand dunes and making big uphiils, so i need to decide wich will be best, kraton, talion or typhoon, the senton is just too short to handle the sand dunes great (its my opinion) but i might be wrong. Please help me out point the best solution. And i wil have to buy the Lipos só 4s or 6s, and what are the common failures i must expect so i can order the parts and have Spares. I heard the tires blew up on 6s is it cover by warranty? I heard the ESC and the servo are and arrma has a great customer service. Im sure i will buy an Arrma 6s soon. Or what the best upgrades to order.
Thanks to you all.
Best regards from fortaleza city Brasil, hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited:
I'm not the in house expert but I'm gonna say the Kraton. It's got big wheels and its a 4x4. The typhon has smaller buggy wheels and would bog into the soft sand easier than the Kraton. Bigger, wider wheels equals a better footprint in soft sand, the same applies with real 4x4 tyres.

Go the Kraton, here's mine.

2015-09-23 21.26.02.jpg

Thanks for the reply, but i live in fortaleza só the sand is soft and average temps are arround 30 degrees all day long and it can be more until up 36, and uphills pulls a lot of amps from the ESC and motor but specially the drivetrain, i would like to know how long your batteries last and what batteries are u running? I say this because the parts availability in Brasil is almost zero, and all it cames from outside with taxes that can reach 60% on top of products price plus shipping. Have u got any issue with yours? Running it only on sand dunes? What are the parts most prone to wear? So i can order as soon as i pull the trigger on it?
Thanks in advance for your reply

The Talion or the Kraton would be best for dunes.

I use SPC Lipo's, a 5000mah 50c, in a 4s configuration. It last's about 20 minutes of hard running. When choosing a batter, mah is how long it will last, and C is how much it can discharge. So my 5000mah 50c battery, can sustain a 250a discharge rate.

The main wear parts I would see you needing, would be the knuckle bearings, which are 15x21x4mm. You can source them from wherever you like, I keep a spare pair.

Many people break the wingmount in the rear, I haven't broken mine, and recently I cut it down anyway, but something to think about.

The servo is pretty beefy really, and I would consider a servo in any RC a wear item. The more you crash, particularly wheel hits, the more likely it is to strip. Mine has been fine for month's.

The ESC, I bought a roller and added a stock motor, a Hobbywing Quicrun 150a ESC to it, so I never had an ESC issue. I just thought I would skip that altogether. There is supposedly a version 3 ESC out now, time will tell if it works, ARRMA has been extraordinarily good about replacing them under warranty.

Will this be your first RC? And welcome to the site!

I would like to know how long your batteries last and what batteries are u running? Have u got any issue with yours? Running it only on sand dunes? What are the parts most prone to wear? So i can order as soon as i pull the trigger on it?
Thanks in advance for your reply

I am running various pairs of batteries, I am trying to run it on 4s more than 6s just to try and keep the wear and tear down. Although I occasionally run it on 6s for a bit of a thrill. 4s feels just right to bash around with. Yes 6s is great but I feel like I'm gonna kill something in the drive train with every pull of the trigger. I feel I am prolonging the life of every moving part by trying my best just to run 4s. I use SMC batteries 2x6500mah 2s, 2x7200mah 2s, 2x6500mah 3s. I also have a pair of chinese branded 3800mah 2s batteries by hitronex. I occasionally use these just because I have them laying around. I will eventually only run SMC batteries once I retire the other brands in my fleet. I get 20 to 30mins run time depending on the amp hours of the battery pairs.

Issues I had were a fried servo, fried ESC, a few inner wheel bearings and steering blocks. I also broke the rear wing and chassis support rail that connects to the wing. You might be alright in soft sand with your wing unless it digs in hard and snaps on a tumble but see how you go since your just gonna be in soft sand. ARRMA has upgraded the front steering block so it has better support of the bearing inside the steering block. But if you can spare the money buy one anyway as well as the spare bearings for it. Part # AR310187

I put a Savox 1268 servo in mine. No issues after almost ten battery runs. ESC was replaced under warranty and when that goes again I am just gonna buy the castle 8th 2200kv combo.

I hope you have good luck with yours and remember that once you weed out and upgrade some parts, you will have some good fun with it.

Don't be put off by some of the breaks and weaknesses as every RC car has weaknesses. Overall, the Kraton is one tough Truggy. Enjoy !

I use SPC Lipo's, a 5000mah 50c, in a 4s configuration. It last's about 20 minutes of hard running. When choosing a batter, mah is how long it will last, and C is how much it can discharge. So my 5000mah 50c battery, can sustain a 250a discharge rate.

The main wear parts I would see you needing, would be the knuckle bearings, which are 15x21x4mm. You can source them from wherever you like, I keep a spare pair.

Many people break the wingmount in the rear, I haven't broken mine, and recently I cut it down anyway, but something to think about.

The servo is pretty beefy really, and I would consider a servo in any RC a wear item. The more you crash, particularly wheel hits, the more likely it is to strip. Mine has been fine for month's.

The ESC, I bought a roller and added a stock motor, a Hobbywing Quicrun 150a ESC to it, so I never had an ESC issue. I just thought I would skip that altogether. There is supposedly a version 3 ESC out now, time will tell if it works, ARRMA has been extraordinarily good about replacing them under warranty.

No, i have a crawler and a buggy, i had nitro versions also since long years ago and i passed from nitro to lipo rcs, i understand the lipo maths but its diferent to every car according mainly with Weight motor kV, and tires, and the kraton is heavy and uses big tires, so, to me that im going to make uphiils on loose sand for sure it last less than that, só im trying to find the best set up to my needs i use 4s on my buggy, but i think the kraton to be alive needs a 6s lipo at least a 50c discharge minimum.
Thanks for your help.
Regarding on parts is a problem where i live, Brasil has bad post offices, things tend to take long time to arrive and there arent a lot of stores to buy parts from. And now with the dollar worthing 4x more than Real, RC stores arent buying because they are afraid of the dollar flutuation drops and then they don't sell parts because they are a lot more expensive, só i plan to buy and stay with extras righ when i buy the truck to minimize issues or wait on parts.
Thanks you all for your help and input, i saw a vídeo of the 150amps ESC from hobbywing and they are great also.

Last edited:
it is hard to say I own the kraton and does very well in deep snow (I live in Minnesota) I also don't have temp issues in the snow. I also have been running trenchers too. I would like to think that the raider xl would be really good in the sand with paddle tires. I would also be putting fans on everything. I would also recommend a dusty motors cover. they are great for keeping everything out of the motor compartment.

I hope this helps

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back