Typhon Which is better, run batteries in series or 1 brick?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Senton 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Vorteks
I was wondering, is there any advantage to running batteries in a series vs. 1 brick (ex. 1 6s or 4s brick)? Right now I use a 4S brick. But I see a lot of people running two packs in a series.

mostly, it does not matter. 4s can make it easier - only one battery to deal with. If you have one of those 2 or 4 channel / 50w per channel chargers, having 2s packs will mean quicker charging times, so that could be an advantage.

I run my Arrma's on 2x2s and 4s bricks. Performance does not change beyond what I would expect based on battery C-ratings. My 2s packs are "mostly" for my 2s 1/10 scale cars, but they can do double duty. Note that this is not normally recommended, most people will say if you want to run 2x2s, the packs should be "matched" and only used as 2x2s. By Matched, I mean, same brand, same mah, same C rating, from the same product line, purchased at about the same time, and have about the same number of total cycles on them. My 2s packs meet all that, except for the cycles. Because of this, I don't normally run them to LVC - I don't want one pack to dump early and get under-discharged.

So to me the 4s brick is " better" just because it is easier.

I think the only real advantage to running a pair of packs vs a brick is that if you have a cell fail or you suffer crash damage you only have to replace half of the battery instead of the whole thing. Bricks can get pretty expensive so it would be cheaper to replace a 2s or 3s pack if you had a failure rather than a whole 4s or 6s brick.

Using two is potentially more flexible. For example, if you have a car that can run 3-6s, you could use 2 3s 5000 packs as 6s 5000 or 3s 10000 with just an adapter change. You also might be able to use them in more than one vehicle. For example, a pair of 2 or 3s packs run in series on an 8th scale might be usable by itself in a 10th scale.

As far as charging goes, you can buy or make adapters to charge multiple packs at the same time, in series or in parallel, on a single port charger. It is a bit more complicated to set up but that's not really a big deal once you've done it a couple times.

Multiple batteries gives you flexibility for using on other platforms and dealing with space constraints, for example 2x3S will work in both a Nero/Fazon as well as Kraton/Senton/Typhon - whereas 1x6S only works in the latter.

The downside to using multiple batteries is unequal current draws ultimately resulting in one battery losing equilibrium with the other. Its happened to me a few times when I'm driving hard, as the batteries near the lower capacity range (30-40%) I'll notice one battery is very hot while the other is just warm. Putting them on a charger there is a voltage difference between them. If you use 'better' quality batteries and always use the exact same pair (make a 'matched' pair) you can generally avoid this. Given all of that, whenever I have the opportunity I run a single (or least amount of) pack(s) for a given platform, so on my Typhon I use 1x6S.

The best setup for the esc is for the input wires to be as short as possible,that would mean just one plug with out the extra connection.

I think the only real advantage to running a pair of packs vs a brick is that if you have a cell fail or you suffer crash damage you only have to replace half of the battery instead of the whole thing. Bricks can get pretty expensive so it would be cheaper to replace a 2s or 3s pack if you had a failure rather than a whole 4s or 6s brick.

Not exactly. The paired batteries need to be about the same age / cycles. As a battery ages, it will loose C-rating and capacity. So if you have one old well used battery, and match it up with a fresh new pack, the old pack will get worked harder and dump sooner. The end result will be that the old pack will quickly be killed.

If one of a paired set of 2s packs dies, it is best to retire the other pack to 2s only duty, and buy another pair of 2s packs (or a 4s brick).

The best setup for the esc is for the input wires to be as short as possible,that would mean just one plug with out the extra connection.

True in theory, but in practice, this would only matter so someone trying to / NEEDING TO get every last bit of energy out of a battery. For us bashers, if we assume your ESC/Batteries have proper sized wiring (10/12 gauge) and good plugs (XT90s are good) the extra 0.5%-2% you would gain by clipping out 2"-4" of wire and one plug won't be noticed. Plus, if you go to an on-board plug pack or use something like the XT150's, you don't have the extra plug, so no issue.

If you are building a speed run car, and already running +130mph, and trying to get that extra 1mph, then looking to wire and plugs might gain you some of that. Might.

Jerry

Not exactly. The paired batteries need to be about the same age / cycles. As a battery ages, it will loose C-rating and capacity. So if you have one old well used battery, and match it up with a fresh new pack, the old pack will get worked harder and dump sooner. The end result will be that the old pack will quickly be killed.

If one of a paired set of 2s packs dies, it is best to retire the other pack to 2s only duty, and buy another pair of 2s packs (or a 4s brick).

True in theory, but in practice, this would only matter so someone trying to / NEEDING TO get every last bit of energy out of a battery. For us bashers, if we assume your ESC/Batteries have proper sized wiring (10/12 gauge) and good plugs (XT90s are good) the extra 0.5%-2% you would gain by clipping out 2"-4" of wire and one plug won't be noticed. Plus, if you go to an on-board plug pack or use something like the XT150's, you don't have the extra plug, so no issue.

If you are building a speed run car, and already running +130mph, and trying to get that extra 1mph, then looking to wire and plugs might gain you some of that. Might.

Jerry
Hey Jerry,

I have a Typhon 6S BLX V4,(2019 model). I am installing a Mamba XL-X ESC, and will be running parallel batteries on the sides of the car.

The XL-X battery, bare wires are 8AWG, the Typhon parallel wiring harness wires are 10AWG. Where can I buy an 8AWG, parallel wiring unit with EC5 connectors?

Also, The stock motor wires are much smaller than the ones on the XL-X. Are there motor wire connector adapters that will fit this set-up?

Thank's for your time.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back