Which motor fan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walküre

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I’m looking for a good motor fan for my Typhon 6s. I’m not nice to it and summer is coming. I’ve seen the yeah racing twin tornado but the description says it’s for a shorter motor. What are you guys using?

Yeahracing on my kraton. Its pretty good. I actually only use one fan at the moment but it still helps keep the temps down

This is what I use. Need to figure out a screen for it though. Working pretty good so far.

Does anyone here have experience with the big single fan heatsink from Hobbywing?

The YR twin is easy install and does the trick well. I had one on my ER-2.0 before I sold it.
I'd get another set but have some on deck that I need to use.
If you remove your motor you'll have more options to get a grip.
If you have a heatsink or whatever mount already, the Wild Turbo Fan line is very solid and useful. Important though for any you choose is to use a screen to protect the blades. You can make an easy cut out from computer fan screens etc. I got some from Aliexpress.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5pc...065.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5dc24c4dPC6nGL

Yeah Racing twin fan is excellent but any fan will do. At least you'll have one. They also often break but as cheap as any part to replace.
Any fan is better than no fan. imo. (y)

I have the $10 hobbywing 40mm fan/heat sink on my outcast. Seems to do the job. I had to squeeze it a bit in the vice to make it smaller so it would hug the motor tightly. Also cut out a little bit of the fins as it got in the way of the pin that holds the center body support.
2019-0329-Outcast-KevlarStringOnTrenchers.jpg

I'm going to leave this here:

there is no way putting a piece of aluminium with no holes and that only touches the motors fins (and without thermal paste) works better than straight blowing on the fins.

The yeah heatsink is finned/vented. I use thermal pad between heatsink and motor.
View attachment 34933
Exactly what I’m doing but mine will be raised 1/2 inch using the castle housing

One more suggestion not sure if you did or will do this, but I also cut a piece of house screen to put underneath to keep them Little Rock peeples out of motor and esc

i run the twin yeah racing fan on my talion and it is ok but sometimes I break a fan or two from hard landings. i bash with others who run a hobbywing c series fan. 1 has a c5 and one has a c1 but they both work good sometimes they break fans too. so far the only fan that has survived is a yeahracing tornado in a plastic castle fan on a friends truck. the only drawback is that it doesn't cool as good as the others because of it being plastic so he has drilled holes in it. it is nice though because he has a tiny block of foam under the fan and it has not broken yet.

there is no way putting a piece of aluminium with no holes and that only touches the motors fins (and without thermal paste) works better than straight blowing on the fins.
I was thinking the same thing. I’ve been looking at heat sinks with vents, without vents and fan only setups. I would think the BLX motors having the mini heatsink rings in the can make for even less heat transfer using a solid heatsink. This is why I’m asking for an experienced opinion from guys behind the wheel...

I’m tired of paying twice. I do like the WTF’s. I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to mount one.

Well, part of why you would want the heat sink is to support the fan itself. It gives something for the fan to rest on when hitting the ground hard off jumps. I don't know that it adds a whole lot, especially with the 1-2mm raised fins on the motor, but at least it gives the fan some support so it doesn't just get gutted after the first hard landing.

Well, part of why you would want the heat sink is to support the fan itself. It gives something for the fan to rest on when hitting the ground hard off jumps. I don't know that it adds a whole lot, especially with the 1-2mm raised fins on the motor, but at least it gives the fan some support so it doesn't just get gutted after the first hard landing.

Given how light fans are I'm not sure that's an issue. I'm running 3 cars this way without trouble (Typhon, Talion, Arrma MT410).
Are there simple supports that don't block the airflow? I think 3D prining one would be the easiest.

Given how light fans are I'm not sure that's an issue. I'm running 3 cars this way without trouble (Typhon, Talion, Arrma MT410).
Are there simple supports that don't block the airflow? I think 3D prining one would be the easiest.
I don't know. I do know that I did have one motor fan that was 4 little legs above the heat sink, so the fan was floating. I broke 3 fans in that truck before I did away with it. Now I run the crappy castle fan holder which is just plastic and it seems to do ok, which doesn't make a lot of sense as the fan is floating still. Only thing I can figure is that the plastic flexes a bit and absorbs the impact whereas the alloy one I had before didn't flex.

The HW heat sink/fan I have now has the back of the fan resting on the top of the fins. It's been on there for 8-9 months and I haven't broken the fan yet.

I think @Mr.Duke made a fan mount for his and had issues busting fans apart as the back was all open. It think it was him. Now he's using fans that have an aluminum housing. I haven't heard how that's going yet.

Yeah, it was him:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/custom-fan-mount.6699/

I don't have the skill or the tools to make something like that. So, I'll stick with my $10 heat sink/fan combo as so far, it's held up fine and it does drop the motor temp by 20-25F in general. Helps keep air moving under the body when I'm just futzing around at the skate parks and park. I don't do a ton of WOT running, just a lot of 1/4 - 1/2 throttle with blips of WOT for flips and whatnot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back