Typhon Which One would you buy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barrister

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Good evening,

I've finally decided to buy my first proper Rc Model and would appreciate some help in making a decision. I ( think) I've narrowed it down to the Typhon, however I'm unsure whether to go for the 3s or newer 6s.

I'll be using the model on short grass and mainly just bashing about. I would like something that is going to take a bit of abuse. My 5 year old son will be looking to drive it hence the reason I'm considering the 3s.

Based on the above have I firstly picked the correct vehicle for my needs? Or should I consider others?

As I'm spending quite a chunk of money I would value everyone's opinion and advice before purchasing.

Finally I would like to say thank you in advance for reading until the end!!! I look forward to your thoughts and advice.

Tony...

All around 6s is going to be better for abuse. The 3s is a good entry but you will want a 6s in no time. I started with a Senton 3s and immediately wanted a 6s. I now have a Kraton 6s. I say go 6s.

6s > 3s all day every day. The 6s platform has been around since 2014 and has had 4 updates. Out of the box the only thing I would keep an eye on is the servo. The 3s needs a lot of help out of the box. Motor mount uses fixed holes that don't always line up, the stock shocks leak( most use the 6s Typhon shocks) the stock tires are pretty bla, the a arms are weak and break very easily, and a lot of guys have issues with the driveshafts breaking or popping off the u joints. But sadly they both come with the craptastic STX2 radio, I highly recommend tossing it in the trash and buying a decent radio system, yes it's that bad(many reports on here and on Facebook of people having runaways and hitting trees, curbs, cars ect....)

Last edited:
You can limit the throttle on the tx and/or just use a 4s Lipo on the 6s Typhon.
I had similar concerns for my 9 year old... but the 6s turned out to be a non issue. He barely needed 1 run with the throttle limited and he was up to speed straight away after that.

With the typhon I find the grass has to be very short. A Kraton 6s would give you a bit more ride height and make grass length a bit less important?

The 6s cars 5are heavier but stronger and probably a lot less likely to break stuff... so less in need of basic upgrades compared to 3s... which would raise the price of the 3s considerably closer to the 6s.

My son likes to run on the golf course... so if I was to do it again... I might choose the Kraton 6s next time... maybe?

6s > 3s all day every day. The 6s platform has been around since 2015 and has had 4 updates. Out of the box the only thing I would keep an eye on is the servo. The 3s needs a lot of help out of the box. Motor mount uses fixed holes that don't always line up, the stock shocks leak( most use the 6s Typhon shocks) the stock tires are pretty bla, the a arms are weak and break very easily, and a lot of guys have issues with the driveshafts breaking or popping off the u joints. But sadly they both come with the craptastic STX2 radio, I highly recommend tossing it in the trash and buying a decent radio system, yes it's that bad(many reports on here and on Facebook of people having runaways and hitting trees, curbs, cars ect....)

Good God that has nearly put me off!! Is there other models in the range that would be better?

I own both and I would buy the 6S if given the same circumstances. You can easily dumb down the 6S with a 4S battery and throttle limiting, as others here have said. The only reason NOT to buy the 6S is weight. If you really need a light rig, go 3S. Otherwise the 6S is the better choice.

Thanks for all the replies so far!!! Having read through them all, are there other models in the range I should consider?

Thanks for all the replies so far!!! Having read through them all, are there other models in the range I should consider?
I would also consider the Kraton 6S if you want something huge.

In my house we have quite a few of each Typhon 3s and 6s, each has a benefit and a drawback.
After all is said and done it really depends on what your overall plans are.
3s you can go with a single 2s or 3s lipo and is very user friendly but if bashed hard will give you some halfshaft issues, the 6s you can run 4s or 6s mostly pairs and it does come with a better driveline.
Battery prices may be a factor also.
At the end of the day we grab 3s Typhons more than anything else.
Light, fast, nimble and just plain fun.
I have seen friends of mine that turn back to 3s stuff just because it is simple and fun.
Isn't that why we all got started in this, to have fun.
Goodluck with your decision making process.

Although... you can trugify your typhon with bigger wheels if you need to. A few on here have done it.

The 6s is defo the way to go... I understand the cost difference concerns but seriously its a much stronger car and has all the basic upgrades you would end up doing to your 3s. Imo the 3s is a bit of a false economy.

Get the Talion 6s, it's best of both worlds.
I own a Kraton and a Typhon and have driven the Talion often.
If i had to pick two it would again be the Typhon and Kraton. If i had to pick one it would be the Talion.
Just my personal preference off course.

Good God that has nearly put me off!! Is there other models in the range that would be better?
The 3s BLX Granite, Big Rock Crew Cab and Senton don't seem to have the a arm issues, they can still break, but they don't seem to break as often.

In which range the 3s or 6s? Personally I would go 3s Granite or Big Rock if you want to stick with the 3s platform, however they still have the same motor mount, shocks and driveshafts as the Typhon. Or just go big and get the Kraton or Talion 6s. Either way like I mentioned above ditch the STX2.

I find myself driving my 3s more n more. A lot of back yard bashing at friends n what not. Easy to haul around. But it seems every time. I say wish I would've brought the big boys. Usually after a good one is tied on?? if space is limited then go 3s. You'll end up buying both in the end?

I find myself driving my 3s more n more. A lot of back yard bashing at friends n what not. Easy to haul around. But it seems every time. I say wish I would've brought the big boys. Usually after a good one is tied on?? if space is limited then go 3s. You'll end up buying both in the end?
100 percent agree.

When buying your first rc @Barrister, one thing no one ever considers, is how long before you start yearning for something steonger and more powerful. My first return into rc had me purchase a 1/10 scale truck which was fast but incredibly weak. The need for constant modification and upgrades became taxing on me and my wallet, as I tried to turn it into something it was never meant to be. With the Arrma 6s platform, you can limit it from the get go, then unleash it as you become more comfortable and courageous. They are not indestructible by any means, but if you start easy and work your way up, you'll also realize that they are very easy to work on, even for a beginner. So I reccomend a 6s truck, Kraton, Typhon or Talion. The Notorious/Outcast might be too much of a handful for the first time around. Narrow it down even more, Kraton or Talion because they share so many driveline parts, that availability from kit breakers helps keep your budget in check. Whatever you buy, we're all sure you're going to have a blast.

Hi guy's, I honestly can't thank you enough for all the replies, suggestions and advice. I'm starting to think the kraton 6s maybe the way to go. I will let you all know when I put my order in.

One other thing I'm a complete newbie when it comes to these high performance models. I'm also nervous having to do much work initially in terms of upgrades etc..

Would you guy's mind if I pop in and out over the next while to get a bit of help and advice when the car arrives??

By the way I'm from Northern Ireland, I was just wondering where there any other members from here also?

Thanks again to you all

Tony

Hi guy's, I honestly can't thank you enough for all the replies, suggestions and advice. I'm starting to think the kraton 6s maybe the way to go. I will let you all know when I put my order in.

One other thing I'm a complete newbie when it comes to these high performance models. I'm also nervous having to do much work initially in terms of upgrades etc..

Would you guy's mind if I pop in and out over the next while to get a bit of help and advice when the car arrives??

By the way I'm from Northern Ireland, I was just wondering where there any other members from here also?

Thanks again to you all

Tony
Of course ask any questions you want. That’s what we’re all here for. ??

I'm from Scotland but there are bound to be some in NI.
Keep us updated in whatever you decide to choose. I've actually changed my mind
and now thinking the Talion might just be the right car for you, in thay its a sort halfway house between the Kraton for him and Typhon for you. Best of both worlds, love my typhon but its not quite as good a grass buggy as the Talion.... IMO at least.

Initial upgrades are not an immediate necessity. The 6s can benefit from a faster servo but the stock one will do for the warm up. I warn you though if you get bitten by the rc bug, like some of us do... it can become a lot more expensive than even your initial investment.

Psssst... Talion ;)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back