Which should i get? SMC vs CNHL vs Zeee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton EXB
Looking for a sanity check/opinions on this. I need a new set of 3s packs to run in my Kraton exb and other assorted 3s trucks. One of my SMC extreme graphene V2s has one cell that is triple the IR of the other (28, 8, 8.5). The other battery is fine. Last run i did on my kraton the one SMC pack was 115-120F afterwards. Motor and esc were around 110F. I don't olan on running that SMC in my kraton again. Looking for a sub $100 option and considering these:

-SMC DV extreme 135c 5200mah
My current SMCs have lots of pep, but they are too sensitive amd lasted less than a year even with meticulous care. I'm a bit sour with SMC. Also not sure if 38mm thickness x2 will fit in the EXB.
-CNHL racing 120c 5200mah
I have no experience with CNHL brand, but the specs seem good.
-Zeee soft case 120c 6000mah
I own a pair of Zeee 3s premium 120c batteries that work well, but not nearly the same punch as my SMCs had, I expect these to perform similarly.

I am not the best for advice on bashers, but one thing I noticed is some of the mid grade batteries like Zee seem to last really well and may be better suited for bashers unless you are looking for peak performance. Generally I think of drag and speed runners who need/want that peak performance.

Ideally for a basher you really want a hard case lipo (y)

I did want to share with you that the 120c CNHL LiPos do not perform as well as the 70c G+ series. The C ratings are all bogus unless you reference a real test.

This data is now old but some good info here. I have always like the Turnigy HD 60c and like to stick with 5000 mAh to keep the weight down.
Check the battery name on the left against the real C value tested on the far right (2021 list):

All 2021 LPB Results.Jpg

I am not the best for advice on bashers, but one thing I noticed is some of the mid grade batteries like Zee seem to last really well and may be better suited for bashers unless you are looking for peak performance. Generally I think of drag and speed runners who need/want that peak performance.

Ideally for a basher you really want a hard case lipo (y)

I did want to share with you that the 120c CNHL LiPos do not perform as well as the 70c G+ series. The C ratings are all bogus unless you reference a real test.

This data is now old but some good info here. I have always like the Turnigy HD 60c and like to stick with 5000 mAh to keep the weight down.
Check the battery name on the left against the real C value tested on the far right (2021 list):
I've seen this before, but it always left me slightly more confused. The SMC models on here don't seem to compare with the graphene V2's or DV extremes that are now offered by SMC ("120c" and "135c"). And the Zeee options on that list seem to be all 50-60c variants, not the higher end 100-120c options that I see are also available. I'd be curious how these newer SMC's and Zeee packs stack up to these.

Appreciate the heads up on the CNHL 120c range. From what i gather, most people run the G+ for speed runs? Would you see any problems with running those for bashing?

As far as soft case vs hard case, i've seen lots of people swear by hard or soft case for bashing, seems pretty split down the middle about weight savings and cheaper vs extra insurance and protection for crashes. By sheer chance i've bought hardcases exclusively, but i'm not opposed to soft case or soft case with metals plates.

I really like the CNHL stuff
Which CNHL's do you have experience with?

For just general 3S pack bashing, I would just go with the Zeee packs, they're probably the cheapest and decent lipos. I had hit or miss with SMC packs and they are pricy. Never had CNHL packs but will try them sometime.

I've seen this before, but it always left me slightly more confused. The SMC models on here don't seem to compare with the graphene V2's or DV extremes that are now offered by SMC ("120c" and "135c"). And the Zeee options on that list seem to be all 50-60c variants, not the higher end 100-120c options that I see are also available. I'd be curious how these newer SMC's and Zeee packs stack up to these.

Appreciate the heads up on the CNHL 120c range. From what i gather, most people run the G+ for speed runs? Would you see any problems with running those for bashing?

As far as soft case vs hard case, i've seen lots of people swear by hard or soft case for bashing, seems pretty split down the middle about weight savings and cheaper vs extra insurance and protection for crashes. By sheer chance i've bought hardcases exclusively, but i'm not opposed to soft case or soft case with metals plates.

Which CNHL's do you have experience with?

I bash with Zeee soft 6s pack in my Kraton and gensacearespammers
Never felt like I needed more power/punch on a 6s rig

SMC SRD or CNHL G+ for speed rigs.

I bash with Zeee soft 6s pack in my Kraton and gensacearespammers
Never felt like I needed more power/punch on a 6s rig

SMC SRD or CNHL G+ for speed rigs.
Agreed on 6s. I couldnt a huge difference between my set of zeee's and my SMCs in the kraton. On 3s though, especially lighter trucks, it's extremely noticeable. The SMCs have observable more punch. Which is why I want to keep that when I buy a new set and run them in the 3s trucks.

Which bashing packs have the most punch in your opinion? Unfortunately as we all know though, battery "punch" between two people is subjective! :D

Cnhl 3/4/6s
Zeee 3/6s
Hovoo 3s

All been good to me so far đź‘Ť
Any preferences for bashing with the most punch?

Agreed on 6s. I couldnt a huge difference between my set of zeee's and my SMCs in the kraton. On 3s though, especially lighter trucks, it's extremely noticeable. The SMCs have observable more punch. Which is why I want to keep that when I buy a new set and run them in the 3s trucks.

Which bashing packs have the most punch in your opinion? Unfortunately as we all know though, battery "punch" between two people is subjective! :D

Any preferences for bashing with the most punch?

That punch is directly related to the C rating of the battery, but not the one they claim.... the real C rating.
In this case you will need to stick with top tier batteries that output 35c to 45c.

The Turnigy Panther 75c is really nice or the CNHL G+ is said to have the same cells inside. I have not purchased 3s packs but it should all be similar within that line from the manufacturer.

The SMC SRD packs are amazing for power output but some of the SMC products are volatile/ sensitive and not ideal for a basher.

Last edited:
Add me to the list of "no luck with SMC", had 2 of their "Premium" 4s packs that didn't last 10 cycles. Maybe a bad batch, who knows, but now I spend my money else where.

My go-to packs are CHNL G+ 70c and Turnigy Graphene 65c. 3s, soft side, I run them in my 6s trucks and my 3s trucks. Mostly bashing, with a small bit of speed running.

I have not tried the Zee's.

That punch is directly related to the C rating of the battery, but not the one they claim.... the real C rating.
In this case you will need to stick with top tier batteries that output 35c to 45c.

The Turnigy Panther 75c is really nice or the CNHL G+ is said to have the same cells inside. I have not purchased 3s packs but it should all be similar within that line from the manufacturer.

The SMC SRD packs are amazing for power output but some of the SMC products are volatile/ sensitive and not ideal for a basher.
I see the 5000mah Panthers are 51mm wide. Looks like the G+ are also 51mm wide. I just measured my EXB battery tray and it's 48mm wide. Is there any issues with fitting those in--will they "squeeze" in? I'm also eyeing the Turnigy Rapid. Obviously the 140c is overstated, but any thoughts on that? I used to have a 6000mah nano-tech and liked it enough, so i'd be willing to try more turnigy.
Add me to the list of "no luck with SMC", had 2 of their "Premium" 4s packs that didn't last 10 cycles. Maybe a bad batch, who knows, but now I spend my money else where.

My go-to packs are CHNL G+ 70c and Turnigy Graphene 65c. 3s, soft side, I run them in my 6s trucks and my 3s trucks. Mostly bashing, with a small bit of speed running.

I have not tried the Zee's.
Really disappointing about the SMC's honestly. They had so much punch. I read somewhere that SMC was aware that their packs were such high amp draw that they were failing early. I'll have to see if I can find where i read that again.

I see the 5000mah Panthers are 51mm wide. Looks like the G+ are also 51mm wide. I just measured my EXB battery tray and it's 48mm wide. Is there any issues with fitting those in--will they "squeeze" in? I'm also eyeing the Turnigy Rapid. Obviously the 140c is overstated, but any thoughts on that? I used to have a 6000mah nano-tech and liked it enough, so i'd be willing to try more turnigy.

Really disappointing about the SMC's honestly. They had so much punch. I read somewhere that SMC was aware that their packs were such high amp draw that they were failing early. I'll have to see if I can find where i read that again.

The panthers I had ran in my Kraton 6s without issues other than it was very snug fit. Honestly that may not be a bad thing?

Not sure on the Rapid series, you can read through this thread and gather your own opinion. Mine is that they are inferior to the Panthers.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/turnigy-rapid-series-lipo-batteries.25312/

So if money isn't an issue what do you guys suggest for bashing? I bought gensacearespammers 4s 11000kv "bashing" batteries last month. Unfortunately, they are almost too big for everything I own. Damn my impulsive behavior! Had to get a whole new battery tray set up for my Xmax to run them. Anyhow looks like most of my trucks/cars these days are 6s. I am in love with the Arrma 6s line just seems to be the perfect size for where I am right now. So anyhow what batteries do you guys suggest if you are not constrained by money? One caveat I don't care about spending the money but I do care about wasting so just saying the most expensive brand doesn't help. Thanks, guys. Btw right now my batteries are the Smart and Traxxas brands for the most part. I have one Dynamite reaction 2 cell battery which hasn't been bad but not as good. I really need either 4 more 3s batteries or 2 6s batteries.

So if money isn't an issue what do you guys suggest for bashing? I bought gensacearespammers 4s 11000kv "bashing" batteries last month. Unfortunately, they are almost too big for everything I own. Damn my impulsive behavior! Had to get a whole new battery tray set up for my Xmax to run them. Anyhow looks like most of my trucks/cars these days are 6s. I am in love with the Arrma 6s line just seems to be the perfect size for where I am right now. So anyhow what batteries do you guys suggest if you are not constrained by money? One caveat I don't care about spending the money but I do care about wasting so just saying the most expensive brand doesn't help. Thanks, guys. Btw right now my batteries are the Smart and Traxxas brands for the most part. I have one Dynamite reaction 2 cell battery which hasn't been bad but not as good. I really need either 4 more 3s batteries or 2 6s batteries.

For a basher and I didn't care about how much it costs I'd get a Turnigy Panther 5000 mAh pack. (or two if run time is of concern)
The lower weight of a 5000 mAh helps with the total rig weight which gives better handling & weight/crashes related damage.

Well money is always an issue to some extent. If it wasn't an issue at all, I'd just be buying SMC graphene V2 packs and replacing with new ones every 6 months to get the most pep!

However, i suspect that you were meaning you're willing to pay more for a good product. Which I agree with.

FWIW, i bought two 3s 120c 5500mah hoovo's on amazon per @Matt05 's tip. They were $50 for the pair. I figured i can experiment for 50 bucks. I am positive they won't actually be 120c.

If money was no object, I'd 2x or 4x CHNL G+ or Panthers over 1x of the high dollar "I can lie bigger than you" 300C packs...
That's what I wanted to hear. I will check them out.
Well money is always an issue to some extent. If it wasn't an issue at all, I'd just be buying SMC graphene V2 packs and replacing with new ones every 6 months to get the most pep!

However, i suspect that you were meaning you're willing to pay more for a good product. Which I agree with.

FWIW, i bought two 3s 120c 5500mah hoovo's on amazon per @Matt05 's tip. They were $50 for the pair. I figured i can experiment for 50 bucks. I am positive they won't actually be 120c.
That's exactly what I mean. For the life of me I could not figure how to put it into words this morning. Thank you. I am more than willing to pay more if the quality matches the cost.
I learned a valuable lesson today. Might as well stay with the lower Ma batteries than go with high Mah. I had the 4s 11000 mah gensacearespammers in my Xmax this morning (batteries are flawless in themselves so far) and it just seemed to be running sluggish. I go to pick the truck up and it's about 2 pounds heavier because of the batteries had a moment of enlightenment. The truck can run for an hour now which is awesome but it's not as much fun. Also, I nose planted the truck from about 20-foot high jump and the straps on the new battery retention system snapped. Both broke at the same place. That was my first solid stop since putting them on and they broke. The Carbon fiber battery tray did not so an easy fix. It is supposed to be a one-strap system but it does have additional places to put straps. Scratched my 170 dollar battery, and I cried a little because they are so pretty lol.

Last edited:
I have a pair of 4s CNHL 120c 8000mah packs that I bought to use in my k8s. I've recently just discovered that these packs aren't really up to the task. Whenever I jam the throttle from a dead stop to try and wheelie, I will only pull it off maybe 40% of the time. The truck raises off the ground just a little and chokes like it's starved for power.

It took me some troubleshooting to figure out it was the batteries. Originally, I thought it was my motor wires or something. I put in my yowoo 100c 6000mah graphenes and I had zero problems and was able to pull off wheelies til the end of the pack.

Maybe my tp 5670 1270kv is too much for them to handle?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back