Which tools?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoFastBreakFaster

Too many questions, not enough sense
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton EXB
On today's episode of "The dumb questions from noobs"

I started reading the Sticky and got excited until I clicked 6yo links for nothing. So I read a few threads and I see you guys seem to like MIP hand tools. I'm being somewhat facetious but serious too. What makes the hand tools so specific? Isn't a 2.0 hex driver the same no matter who makes it other than harbor break or the local Walmart?

Let's say you have a friend who- while he may not be the most wealthy guy you know- he also isn't the smartest and has a highly addictive personality. I mean, the guy doesn't just regular do anything. He is kinda extra. Anyway, dude just got into RCs and texts you (or emails for you old tops) saying he wants the absolute tool set he can get for $100-$150. What links do you reply with and why?

I’m a huge mip fan. That said, I’ve never owned any other “luxury” brand.. I think what makes the mip’s so popular is how tight they fit and precision cut they are. They fit so tight in fact, most of the time it’s hard to remove them from the screw.
If it saves me from stripping out a screw, regardless of the brand, it’s well worth the money imo.

I’m sure others will chime in with thier favs, but mip hasn’t done me wrong so far. 🤙

I’m a huge mip fan. That said, I’ve never owned any other “luxury” brand.. I think what makes the mip’s so popular is how tight they fit and precision cut they are. They fit so tight in fact, most of the time it’s hard to remove them from the screw.
If it saves me from stripping out a screw, regardless of the brand, it’s well worth the money imo.

I’m sure others will chime in with thier favs, but mip hasn’t done me wrong so far. 🤙
Fair point and noted. However, your reply is half empty. I see no links, sir!

J/K I was on their site before posting this thread. They are PROUD of their stuff. I would drop another 200 or so just on a few bit drivers!

I'm using a cheap set of Pro-Tek drivers from Amain purchased over 10 years ago, haven't snapped or rounded one yet (taps wood). Also a cheap Chinese set of hex bits for my electric screwdriver.

If your budget is $100+ as you state then MIP might be a better bet, I assume they're made from a better steel alloy and more precisely and accurately cut than the cheaper ones.

I'm using a cheap set of Pro-Tek drivers from Amain purchased over 10 years ago, haven't snapped or rounded one yet (taps wood). Also a cheap Chinese set of hex bits for my electric screwdriver.

If your budget is $100+ as you state then MIP might be a better bet, I assume they're made from a better steel alloy and more precisely and accurately cut than the cheaper ones.
A single nut driver is $44 on their site lol
A single nut driver is $44 on their site lol
I didn't even look any further
That's doable (I almost missed this reply) to start, but that's just the scab. I want the meat! Do they not make a "slap yo mama" set?

Last edited:
I got one of those cheap generic small tool sets for in the bag pack (emergency kit 😉) for screws that don’t require a lot of force (those little screws in a roll cage or body for example). A MIP set and a Team EDS power tool set for working on the car (oh and Traxxas tool kit for those nut drivers).
The precision and quality (durability) of MIP and Team EDS is very good👍.

On today's episode of "The dumb questions from noobs"

I started reading the Sticky and got excited until I clicked 6yo links for nothing. So I read a few threads and I see you guys seem to like MIP hand tools. I'm being somewhat facetious but serious too. What makes the hand tools so specific? Isn't a 2.0 hex driver the same no matter who makes it other than harbor break or the local Walmart?

Let's say you have a friend who- while he may not be the most wealthy guy you know- he also isn't the smartest and has a highly addictive personality. I mean, the guy doesn't just regular do anything. He is kinda extra. Anyway, dude just got into RCs and texts you (or emails for you old tops) saying he wants the absolute tool set he can get for $100-$150. What links do you reply with and why?
I have used cheap stuff before for a long time. About 18months ago I treated my self to a set of mip drivers and shock shaft pliers. Made a world of difference

I ordered the MIP speed tips and a new soldering station (mine has been mistreated for several years) along with a couple more things.
Screenshot_20211118-232823_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I might get some side eye’d looks on this one 👀 but I have the old colored integy set (2mm is a little worn out and I don’t use the set much anymore) and the good Traxxas set…. I use them in my 1/4" impact or by hand… snapped the weld/epoxy on one (where the shaft attaches to the quick lock… would spin freely) Traxxas sent me a whole new set. No questions asked… so I have 2 full sets of Traxxas minus a 2mm…. The ball ends come in handy but no ball end should be trusted in my opinion….

Down the road, maybe a set MIP set of Hex drivers may fill your needs. Aside from the strongest and best fitting hex tips out there, has Better handles, (better leverage) easier to wrench and torque/remove most screws repetitively. Especially Threadlocked screws. Feel good to the hand.
Dynamite Nut drivers are great. I use them for nuts exclusively.
In 25+ years I am only on my second identical set of MIP hex drivers. Purchased 3 years ago. The old ones are still very close to the new ones, Wear wise.
I have scratch built numerous RC kits in 35+ years doing RC. MIP's hold up well.
Not cheap. Seems to be a put off to many new RC'ers.
I also have Vanquish Products Hex drivers to supplement my MIP's. (Longer tips/shafts where needed). Also not cheap.
I also have a set of Bondus "Ball" hex drivers for the very rare times I need them.
I also have the Amazon Cheapos etc here. For comparison. I like to experiment. They stay in my field box. Rarely used. Cheapos wear out with repetitive use. Buy cheap buy twice.
I also find that cheap "fancy" alloy handled hex drivers, do a number on your hands/palms. Blisters etc. Been there.(n)

Last edited:
Down the road, maybe a set MIP set of Hex drivers may fill your needs. Aside from the strongest and best fitting hex tips out there, has Better handles, (better leverage) easier to wrench and torque/remove most screws repetitively. Especially Threadlocked screws. Feel good to the hand.
Dynamite Nut drivers are great. I use them for nuts exclusively.
In 25+ years I am only on my second identical set of MIP hex drivers. Purchased 3 years ago. The old ones are still very close to the new ones, Wear wise.
I have scratch built numerous RC kits in 35+ years doing RC. MIP's hold up well.
Not cheap. Seems to be a put off to many new RC'ers.
I also have Vanquish Products Hex drivers to supplement my MIP's. (Longer tips/shafts where needed). Also not cheap.
I also have a set of Bondus "Ball" hex drivers for the very rare times I need them.
I also have the Amazon Cheapos etc here. For comparison. I like to experiment. They stay in my field box. Rarely used. Cheapos wear out with repetitive use. Buy cheap buy twice.
I also find that cheap "fancy" alloy handled hex drivers, do a number on your hands/palms. Blisters etc. Been there.(n)
I could very well end up with a set of mip at some point in the future but for now dynamite will have to suffice. Sounds like you've tried quite a selection. I'll keep it in mind

I could very well end up with a set of mip at some point in the future but for now dynamite will have to suffice. Sounds like you've tried quite a selection. I'll keep it in mind
+1

I'll give you a few points of view based off of many years of wrenching experience with toys and real cars.

1) Quality tools make a difference. In terms of hex drivers, both the material the tool is made from, and the fitment of the tip will make a huge difference in how it performs and how it lasts. That's not to say that cheap tools are always bad, and it's not to say that expensive tools are always good, but generally speaking, tools are one of those things where you get what you pay for. As a real-world example, I use MIP drivers for my RC cars. I have a buddy who bought a set from Integy about a year ago. His Integy tools look really nice, they have TiN coated shafts and a cool looking driver handle, but the 1.5-2.5mm drivers have all rounded off in less than a year, and therefore have stripped many screw heads. He bought MIP replacements, and hasn't had any of the same issues.

2) I don't recommend buying cheap tools now and then better tools down the road. "Buy once, cry once" is a good philosophy to subscribe to here. You'll spend more money up front with quality tools, but you'll spend a lot more in the long run with cheap tools, because you'll be replacing broken tools, you'll be replacing parts that broke (screws that stripped) because of those cheap or broken tools, and you'll buy better stuff in the future. Quality tools can make a hobby more enjoyable, while cheap tools can make you dread working on your RC, which means you'll be hesitant to drive it.

3) The smaller the tool, the more important quality is, especially with drivers. Nut drivers, screw drivers, hex drivers, etc...tools with small, precise tips are not considered durable and can easily break if misused, even the highest quality ones. However, the higher quality tools give you a much larger cushion for error, and generally will only wear minimally from proper use. Cheap tools are made from cheap materials and will generally wear easily and relatively quickly from proper use and will usually break immediately if improperly handled. Fitment is also important with precision tools, and cheaper tools often have a wide margin of error with fitment, which causes premature wear to the tool, and damage to the screw head.

4) There are a lot of good brands. MIP is probably the most recommended in the hobby world, and for good reason. They pretty much set the standard for quality, but that doesn't mean they're the only name in the game. Dynamite tools are a pretty decent balance of affordability and quality. They won't last like an MIP driver will, so you will have to replace them in the next few years, but if you take care of them, they should last much longer than many of the lower quality no-name tools.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back