Which type of heat is better?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Close Enough

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Great information out there everyone. Sort of new to this hobby but having a great time with my v3 kraton. As far as breaking down the thread locker on metal to metal connections, which type of heat works better, a torch or soldering pen? I’m prepping for some bigger tear-down projects.

I could see the benefit of both. Do you guys reapply loctite to those screws when they go back in?
I generally use a blue TL stick for small screws. I will use red on pinions or other parts that I can heat to remove. I have also resorted to red on parts that won’t stay together with proper applications of blue.

Torch works best imho. Soldering iron should be 80W, same I use for soldering power wires. Torch is typically quicker.
Small butane torch, not the flamethrower :p

Due to location. I use butane torch where I can and a soldering iron where I have to.
Same. I started using orange locktite instead of red. Seems to be a good compromise on things you want to stay put. If it's a 2.5-4mm head screw, if the head is good and the screwdriver is good, it will break loose when you lean on it. I still only use blue on 2mm button/flat head screws... unless it's a diff or diff input cup. Then I use red and a torch. The orange seems to be holding well on my pinions and a few other things I've used it on so far.

For me my soldering iron did nothing i was able to touch the screw with my hand without burning myself so since then i use a lighter i make sure to be close to the blue flame to avoid my part to become black
Maybe my soldering iron is junk idk

For me my soldering iron did nothing i was able to touch the screw with my hand without burning myself so since then i use a lighter i make sure to be close to the blue flame to avoid my part to become black
Maybe my soldering iron is junk idk
Usually it’s the tip that can’t transfer enough. You need a chisel tip and hold it on the screw for 5 mins.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back