Outcast Which version of Outcast is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I put a deposit on this slightly beat up beauty... Other than the body damage it pretty much just seems like it just needs a good cleaning. Ran good around the parking lot (my LHS sells used items from customers to other customers on consignment).

I am wondering which version this is and which upgrades would be good to do (and where to source the parts from).

Pics...

Body:

Under the hood:

I would like to run it on 6S power but I am willing to start with 4S until I have really had a chance to go through it properly.

I am a current owner of a small herd of 1/10 Traxxas RCs so I cannot seem to phantom the idea of a true RTR that could handle some bashing without needing extensive upgrades to be able to bash regularly without breaking down. I have a Stampede 4X4 VXL and a Rustler VXL that are here now but they required extensive funds to get there.

Anything that these Outlaws need off the bat? If this is a version 2 (or 1) Outlaw then I would want to know which parts I would need to buy (and where) to get the upgrades to get it as close to version 3 as I could.

Thanks in advance. :)

I' gonna say it is a v1.5 there is no v3 outcast only the kraton and typhon have v3 models out I have a v2 outcast a v3 kraton and a v3typhon

I' gonna say it is a v1.5 there is no v3 outcast only the kraton and typhon have v3 models out I have a v2 outcast a v3 kraton and a v3typhon
Page one post #8

That is a V1.5 Outcast, V2 is the current version, there is no V3 Outcast. V1 had a smaller receiver box, sometime between the V1 and V2 they started shipping models with the new receiver box but all the previous gen stuff. I have seen a few V2.5 Kratons as well. Had all V2 stuff but the Outcast battery tray and the V3 receiver box.
Didn' even see this reply slick least we were on the same page tho lol sorry for the repeat

Yes I ran the same batteries I have sets of 5200mah 3s 100cs in now I had to extend the posts on the battery tray for these but the 1s u r looking at will fit I prefer the lectron pros over the smc they are right about the same price

Okay... I ended up finalizing the deal and snagged the Outcast. The front bumper does not seem to be damaged; or if it is it is very minor.

[url=https://zoodles95.smugmug.com/Arrma-Outlaw/i-GhK6RDt/A]
[/URL]

If it is bent it is not by much. Weird...

Regardless the current plan is to put a TBone Racing front bumper on and then ditch the rear wing and go with the TBone racing rear bumper with integrated wheelie bar.

Time to get cleaning and make sure everything is okay. First purchase (before TBone racing) will be GKA servo mount, chassis braces, and rear brace stop.

While I think the wing is kind of cool I think on this "stunt truck" with its short wheelbase the wing is just waiting to get damaged. On longer wheelbase trucks like the Kraton or Talion I would likely leave it on and upgrade the wing mount.

Again, the front bumper and the chassis in general appears to be in good overall shape.

Now I can appreciate the difference between 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale. I bought 4 SMC batteries. 2 2S and 2 3S.

I also picked up one of these cell checkers. It seems to have a discharge mode as well but my two chargers both have discharge modes so I'm not sure I would use this cell checker for that purpose.

BTW... A very mint Arrma Nero is available at my LHS. $500 CDN equates to $389 USD at today's exchange rate.

The thing is a beast! I am very tempted to pick this up. I think I had better do my homework because I would want to make sure there is enough parts support so that I could actually drive this thing and enjoy it.

Would I be crazy to consider a Nero?

Right now my next RC is leaning towards a Kraton, Talion, or possibly even a Team Redcat BE6S. I am also considering trying out a Tekno MT410.

The gka rear brace stop is out of stock for a few days so I ordered up the t bone racing goodies last night. Trying put the front bumper abd rear bumper with wheelie bar. Going to do the wing delete option.

Do I still need a rear skid plate? If so I could try out the rpm one?

If gka has the rear brace stop.back in Stock by Friday then I will order the stop along with the chassis braces plus servo mount.

Going to run it in 4S to start. See how it goes. Other than adding the upgrades on and giving the Outcast a thorough cleaning aND going over that should fit the bill for awhile.

I may try out a Savox 1210 at some point; especially if I could then put the stock servo into one of my other RCS since my other stock servos have plastic gears!

i think you are over thinking on what to beef up before your maiden run. esp on 4s, you should really run it stock first and then make a list of what changes should be made based on your driving style.

I agree with s14tat take it out and drive her for a while on 4s you'll b fine I ran it on 4s for the first 3 pack cycles just to break her in before slamming 6s in it. That's when I started breaking stuff and replacing things I have the Tb front bumber a Savox 1210 in mine but I'm also running the 3.8s on it. As for the wing delete I say go for that because the wing mount is really in the way in causes more damage to the rig on bad landings as for the wheelie bar I made mine from the stock wheelie bar and did the wing delete the pic I'm gonna put up is what a bad landing did to my body when the wing broke off but it also has the wheelie bar i made on it now. I liked it so much I made 1 for my kraton as well.
20180422_071537.jpg
20180422_055748.jpg
20180422_071542.jpg

I think I bought the last GKA rear brace stop, haha. I should hopefully have it here anyday now.

All of the upgrades you are considering, I already have on order, plus voltage hobbies towers.

Good thing i ordered the tbone bumpers, i smashed the stock front bumper off already!

As for the batteries, well you obviously know you can fit those smc batteries in. I was surprised to find out that I could fit a pair of my smc 3s 7200 mah batteries in the outcast. Awesome!

You will love the outcast, it's a beast

i think you are over thinking on what to beef up before your maiden run. esp on 4s, you should really run it stock first and then make a list of what changes should be made based on your driving style.

Good advice... However, I try to make my RCs as robust as I can. If there is a weak spot in an RC I will find it and break it believe me.

Break a stock 3mm shock shaft? Why not...

Bend a stock driveshaft? Why not...

It does not help that my wife drives my RCs like she hates them and my autistic brother in law is not gentle on them either. Hence, why I seek to make them as tough as I can.

I think I bought the last GKA rear brace stop, haha. I should hopefully have it here anyday now.

All of the upgrades you are considering, I already have on order, plus voltage hobbies towers.

Good thing i ordered the tbone bumpers, i smashed the stock front bumper off already!

As for the batteries, well you obviously know you can fit those smc batteries in. I was surprised to find out that I could fit a pair of my smc 3s 7200 mah batteries in the outcast. Awesome!

You will love the outcast, it's a beast

Thanks. I am off this coming Sunday and weather permitting the wife and I will take the RCs out for a nice bash session.

I will say that "out of the box" the Outcast is pretty impressive. The drive axles look like they are going to hold up well and even though my Outcast is not the newest version I find the suspension pretty nice. Lots of travel and the springs seem neither too soft or too firm. From reading some of the threads I see that many of you run Tekno springs in yours plus different shock oil weights depending on your driving style.

It seems that the one "must have" upgrade is the servo mount. It just seems like with regular bashing you will strip out those stock servo gears at some point without some kind of servo mount. The other stuff seems to depend on your driving, how much you hit stuff etc.

Please post pictures of those towers once they are in and let us know how they work out for you. I have never tried aluminum shock towers in any of my RCs. I have just been upgrading to the RPM shock towers in my 1/10 Traxxas RCs and those are stiffer and stronger than the stock Traxxas shock towers.

Good advice... However, I try to make my RCs as robust as I can. If there is a weak spot in an RC I will find it and break it believe me.

Break a stock 3mm shock shaft? Why not...

Bend a stock driveshaft? Why not...

It does not help that my wife drives my RCs like she hates them and my autistic brother in law is not gentle on them either. Hence, why I seek to make them as tough as I can.

damn, looks a lot like crash damage. i honestly don't think those mods would help you if people who you are going to lend it to is going to drive it into a wall full blast.

LOL!

Had some nice weather today. My wife and I took out the 2 Stampedes and the Outlaw. Needless to say one of the Stampedes is going onto the sales market tonight. TIme to bring in a second Arrma BLX... Loved the Outlaw!

First time driving it on 4S. Thing is a wheelie machine with the front tires ballooning all the way. I can't imagine this thing on 6S. Maybe once I put the upgrades into it.

My wife did pretty well with it too!

Sadly it was not my wife that broke the poor Outcast. It was...er... ME! I jumped it into the long jump pit that you can see in my wife's video. Poor thing hit the wooden frame at the end of the long jump frame. So... Good thing the Tbone Racing front bumper is on its way. The stock one is all messed up now. I could care less about that since I have a suitable upgrade coming.

Just the same though this poor rear shock is in need of TLC...

I found these bits...

Shock shaft has disappeared into the ether.

Would these parts fix my problem?
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR330338
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR330339
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR330231
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR330490

It looks like I could buy the upgraded 4mm shock shafts. Which length would I need for the rear?

Would I need new shock bodies to run the 4mm shafts?
https://www.arrma-rc.com/part/AR330480

I hate replacing broken parts with stock parts. Whenever I can do an upgrade I'm all over it.

BTW... I am looking for my second Arrma. Thoughts?

There is the mint used Nero at my LHS...

Or... I could try out a new Typhon... Or a Tallion... Or a Kraton?

I would go with the Kraton. Nero looks like a pain in the a$$ to work on. I love the outcast but on 6s it's hard to get it to top speed without the front coming up. The Kraton is a beast. I don't see to many bashing vids on the Nero.

don't get the nero platform, unless you want a shelf queen. the platform is dead for good for obvious reasons, so parts are going to be impossible to find.

Okay.... Still waiting to order from GKA since the rear brace stop is still out of stock (sigh).

TBone Racing stuff came in though. I have also bagged the damaged shock to bring into my LHS to ensure I get the right parts to repair it. My LHS is actually a big supporter or Arrma. He always has Sentons, Tallions, and Outlaws for sale plus a smattering of their 1/10 scale stuff. So, he has been pretty good for keeping a decent parts supply for the Arrma stuff. I have spoken to him about stocking servo mounts for the BLX stuff.

Okay... As I said TBone Racing stuff came in...

As you can see in that pic the stock bumper took a heck of a hit.

With the rear shock removed I am using these storage bins to jack up the rear end. It gives me an idea of the "de-winged" look of the Outcast with the TBone Racing front and rear bumpers. The front bumper extends past the front wheels so will give much more protection in future impacts.

I am concerned here. I see this as a potential weak spot. The suspension hangers/pins could likely push out if I leave this as it is.

Would something like this work? Are there other options out there?
https://www.voltagehobbies.com/stor..._Kraton,_Talion,_Typhon,_Senton,_Outcast.html

As you can see I messed up the stock front bumper mount pretty good!

These bumpers also double as nice skid plates to help protect the front and rear part of the chassis as well.

Next up is to replace the shock shaft and end to get the Outlaw up and running again. Then finally get a GKA order in if they would get the rear brace stop back in stock so that I can place my order. Gah!

The T Bone XV4 2.0 for the Kraton fits the Outcast. I wouldn’t have any other bumper! I do serious bashing and no failure yet. Plus lifetime warranty

Attachments

• 7F4B31CD-5C3B-4BA5-9E68-1BE2C9EBFC09.jpeg
    7F4B31CD-5C3B-4BA5-9E68-1BE2C9EBFC09.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 63
Sweet! Problem diagnosed, solved, and fixed...

The shock shaft broke right at the eyelet. So... Repair is a new shaft and eyelet. Parts bought give me a spare shaft and eyelet.

Sunday is my brother-in-law's birthday so we will take 3 of the RCs out for a nice bash session. Outlaw ready to go again with the new TBone racing front and rear bumpers and the newly repaired shock. BTW... My LHS had given me 4mm shafts but I tested them there and sure enough they do not work with my shock hardware. I imagine I would need new shock bodies to upgrade my existing shocks to the newer 4mm shafts.

Sweet! With the shock repaired now I can really evaluate how I like the de-winged look and the double wheelie bars. I think it looks cool and tough. Outlaw should be pretty stout now. It just needs the GKA Custom bits to bring it up to the next level.

The only thing about the repaired shock is that the cleanliness of it made me desire to go trough the Outlaw and give it some love. Now that I have done some upgrades, plus a repair, and now a nice cleaning and detailing I feel like I sort of bonded with it now. I look forward to doing more upgrades when I get the GKA stuff in.

Beware if you have the TBR 2.0 version wheele bar with the new hinge pin mount cover that i think the screws tbr supply are only mild steel and will snap off in you diff housing

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back