Kraton Which would be a good first arrma ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barzano724

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m all new to the electric side of the hobby was always into nitro but wanna give electric a try ! I’m stuck between the Kraton 4s and Big Rock 4x4. I don’t want a 6s or 8s to start into electric maybe later on down the line, But it’s such a hard decision. I’m just looking for a basher and runner. A lot of off-road some on road messing around. But I have no clue what to get ? What’s the pros and cons of both and which would you get

well either one you choose it can always be converted to the other, since they share the same platform.. but i would go kraton 4s.. with some rpm arms and decent shocks with normal rod ends they just want to be beat on..

If you don't mind spending the extra dough, the 6S rigs can be run on 4S. Honestly though, you'll probably never go back after running on 6S. I picked up a pair of both 4S and 6S with my first 6S rig - never even used the 4S packs. You get a lot of torque with 6S, but it's totally controllable with a platform like the Kraton. The shorter chassis stuff like the Noto can be a a little circus-music-y though.

If you don't mind spending the extra dough, the 6S rigs can be run on 4S. Honestly though, you'll probably never go back after running on 6S. I picked up a pair of both 4S and 6S with my first 6S rig - never even used the 4S packs. You get a lot of torque with 6S, but it's totally controllable with a platform like the Kraton. The shorter chassis stuff like the Noto can be a a little circus-music-y though.
I just don’t wanna get a 6s idk not liking them the only thing stopping me from the big rock is no chassis brace which I think isn’t good I don’t know just me thinking
well either one you choose it can always be converted to the other, since they share the same platform.. but i would go kraton 4s.. with some rpm arms and decent shocks with normal rod ends they just want to be beat on..
What are the pros of the Kraton vs the big rock? Or could I just put the big rock body on it that’s all I really like

I just don’t wanna get a 6s idk not liking them the only thing stopping me from the big rock is no chassis brace which I think isn’t good I don’t know just me thinking

What are the pros of the Kraton vs the big rock? Or could I just put the big rock body on it that’s all I really like

bigger tires and wheels = more possibilities for bash spots

longer a-arms/ wider stance = more stable

blx 120 4s esc = less esc issues

steel spur gear = longer gear cycle times

17mm hex wheels = alot of tire wheel combos

and yes you can put a big rock body on the kraton.. will most likely have to cut the body to fit around the wing mount.. may have to change body mounts as well but im not sure on that...

The big rock doesn't need any center brace, just bling bling. Get the Kraton, drives better, not tipsy like the BR, jumps better, has better tires. BR needs different tires. Kraton cost a little more but worth it IMO. If you really like the BR for the body get it, you can also mount one on the Kraton for a few bucks.

As a Big Rock owner I say Do Not Buy it.
Get the 6s Kraton.
saw a used big rock for sale like new condition. Was looking to replace the granite. Should I pass on the big rock?
Why don't you like it?
Hi, I’m all new to the electric side of the hobby was always into nitro but wanna give electric a try ! I’m stuck between the Kraton 4s and Big Rock 4x4. I don’t want a 6s or 8s to start into electric maybe later on down the line, But it’s such a hard decision. I’m just looking for a basher and runner. A lot of off-road some on road messing around. But I have no clue what to get ? What’s the pros and cons of both and which would you get
I would go with the Kraton 6s if you can afford it. maybe look for a used one. You can run 4s and its still a beast and work up yo 6s for some insanity. Just make sure you have lots of space when running 6s. Its scary fast. Much better build than the 4s Kraton, my opinion

Last edited:
saw a used big rock for sale like new condition. Was looking to replace the granite. Should I pass on the big rock?
Why don't you like it?

The Big Rock is what I call a false value.
After you do the needed upgrades of wheels n tired, spacers/longer arms you're left with a ruck that looks like a tough truck but it's weak axles don't let you drive it like a tough 4x4. So, you pick up the upgrade axles.

After the upgrades you've spent enough money that the total price puts the Big Rock in competition with vehicles that come with metal axles, center diff. and gears plus better shocks right out of the gate. A few of those models are 4s and 6s powered.

The body looks nice but the drive train is just not tough 4X4 strength.

Just add up the total you'd spend on the necessary mods to make the Big Rock a proper 4X4 then shop around for what else that money will get you...

If I'd done my homework I would have gotten the Proline kit and built it to run on 4s electronics. Why? It has a strong drive train.

The grand total would cost maybe 50 bucks more than I've spent on my big rock and I'll always have a slipper clutch instead of a center differential.

No plastic axles or gears here folks
Before you think that the ready to run status of the Big Rock is of value consider how ready to run it is when you are replacing every single bearing in the truck. All pivot balls need replaced too. You'll probably want to run your choice of diff oil as well.

Not soo RTR anymore, is it?

How much more trouble is that kit to build?

Or, buy a 4x4 truck that has the sealed bearings, metal gears, center diff, metal axles, strong servo right from the start. Have you visited the Red Cat Kaiju thread? Not too shabby for 400 bucks.

Last edited:
The Big Rock is what I call a false value.
After you do the needed upgrades of wheels n tired, spacers/longer arms you're left with a ruck that looks like a tough truck but it's weak axles don't let you drive it like a tough 4x4. So, you pick up the upgrade axles.

After the upgrades you've spent enough money that the total price puts the Big Rock in competition with vehicles that come with metal axles, center diff. and gears plus better shocks right out of the gate. A few of those models are 4s and 6s powered.

The body looks nice but the drive train is just not tough 4X4 strength.

Just add up the total you'd spend on the necessary mods to make the Big Rock a proper 4X4 then shop around for what else that money will get you...
Great insight. Thanks.
I’ll Pass on the used big rock for sure now.

Not sure what this Branson Basher guy is talking about. It's probably cause he doesn't know how to drive the thing.

The Big Rock is definitely the first one to go for. It only wheelies when you want it to, and it's much more stable than the granite with the long wheel base. It feels like a 1/8 scale as well because of the extra length, and it looks way better than the other rigs in the 3s line with its RL scale design.

Out the box you need nothing. No spacers or nothing. Just learn how to drive it. Most brushless RC's will roll over if you drive em like a 3 year old. The whole fun of it is to master the vehicle's driving dynamics. If you want the car to handle slightly better though in the straights, get the Proline 2.8 trenchers with the 12mm Duratrax hubs, and get a T-Bone front bumper at the very least.

Don't get it used though. Don't get any RC used unless you can check the condition of the differentials in advance.
Not sure what this Branson Basher guy is talking about. It's probably cause he doesn't know how to drive the thing.

The Big Rock is definitely the first one to go for. It only wheelies when you want it to, and it's much more stable than the granite with the long wheel base. It feels like a 1/8 scale as well because of the extra length, and it looks way better than the other rigs in the 3s line with its RL scale design.

Out the box you need nothing. No spacers or nothing. Just learn how to drive it. Most brushless RC's will roll over if you drive em like a 3 year old. The whole fun of it is to master the vehicle's driving dynamics. If you want the car to handle slightly better though in the straights, get the Proline 2.8 trenchers with the 12mm Duratrax hubs, and get a T-Bone front bumper at the very least.

Don't get it used though. Don't get any RC used unless you can check the condition of the differentials in advance.

Attachments

• 20200320_023256.jpg
    20200320_023256.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 39
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back