Mojave While waiting for parts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
As mentioned in another post, I managed to crash the Mojave and rip the rear end off against a semi hidden concrete block. It was time for a rebuilt and some upgrades..

One thing that I really didn't like on the Mojave RTR or the EXB for that matter is the thickness of the chassis.. It is just too thin for that length and the weight of the car. In the 1/8 scale I got the same kind of body, but the car length and the weight are much smaller. In the 1/5 scale we have 8mm chassis, so to get something in the middle I opted for one of this chassis made by Bulletproof...

20211023_142956.jpg

It is 6.35 mm thick and it does seem more appropriate for a 1/7 scale. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for the majority of the other parts that do come entirely from the US and while few things have come in, I can't really continue the rebuilt as quick as I would like..
The front end was fine, so other than replace those little brass bushes with bearing in the steering bellcrank, it was an easy job to put it back on the new chassis..

20211023_171458.jpg

20211023_171823.jpg

In the picture you can also see the 5mm carbon fibre front tower That I did previously purchase from the UK
Well, that's where I'm ATM, but hopefully next week more parts will come in...

Can you provide a link to where you got your chassis? I would like to give it a closer look. It might be cheaper to purchase from the US (where I live), but it’s worth a look!

Build is looking good so far…also, where did you get your CF tower?

Thanks!!!

Can you provide a link to where you got your chassis? I would like to give it a closer look. It might be cheaper to purchase from the US (where I live), but it’s worth a look!

Thanks!!!
Thanks mate

The chassis is from the US (and probably only available from the US). Mind you it only took 7 days to get here in Aus...

https://bulletproofrc.com/

and the CF tower where from the UK

https://scorchedparts.co.uk/products/arrma-6s-carbon-fibre-shock-towers-mojave

Thanks!!!
Basherqueen also sells CF parts and has a warranty on them I believe. I bought them and I was jumping my typhon, I don't do massive sends, but I just got a whacky jump and torpedoed my golf cart with it and the front tower blew up. Quite certain an m2c, or others, would have brushed it off easy. But I'm not degrading basherqueen parts at all, they are good. Just something to think about. Obviously my scenario was my fault and I didn't go the warranty route
As mentioned in another post, I managed to crash the Mojave and rip the rear end off against a semi hidden concrete block. It was time for a rebuilt and some upgrades..

One thing that I really didn't like on the Mojave RTR or the EXB for that matter is the thickness of the chassis.. It is just too thin for that length and the weight of the car. In the 1/8 scale I got the same kind of body, but the car length and the weight are much smaller. In the 1/5 scale we have 8mm chassis, so to get something in the middle I opted for one of this chassis made by Bulletproof...

View attachment 175717

It is 6.35 mm thick and it does seem more appropriate for a 1/7 scale. Unfortunately I'm still waiting for the majority of the other parts that do come entirely from the US and while few things have come in, I can't really continue the rebuilt as quick as I would like..
The front end was fine, so other than replace those little brass bushes with bearing in the steering bellcrank, it was an easy job to put it back on the new chassis..

View attachment 175718

View attachment 175719

In the picture you can also see the 5mm carbon fibre front tower That I did previously purchase from the UK
Well, that's where I'm ATM, but hopefully next week more parts will come in...
Also that chassis is serious!! Not going to mess that one up anytime soon

Basherqueen also sells CF parts and has a warranty on them I believe. I bought them and I was jumping my typhon, I don't do massive sends, but I just got a whacky jump and torpedoed my golf cart with it and the front tower blew up. Quite certain an m2c, or others, would have brushed it off easy. But I'm not degrading basherqueen parts at all, they are good. Just something to think about. Obviously my scenario was my fault and I didn't go the warranty route

Also that chassis is serious!! Not going to mess that one up anytime soon

Basherqueen seems to be better value for money as well.. I bought mine from the UK at the same time that I purchase the side fenders, sort of, to justify the delivery cost... :)

Today I wanted to see how much silicon oil was in the actual front diff. Once opened I didn't really see that much, as in it wasn't full at all, so I went ahead and disassemble it completely...

diffori.jpg

Not sure why Arrma decided to add so much weight to the diff by adding those flat pieces behind the trust washers. They do have a bit of play once inside the plastic shell, and you can tell by the shaft that they don't work as intended.. I took some of my other diffs out to compare them..

diffcomp.jpg

N.1 is a Torsen central diff, N.2 is a TA RC8 B3.1 standard 1/8 diff, and N.3 is a spider diff. Unfortunately while they are all designed for the 1/8 Nitro world, they all are bigger than the original Arrma fitted in the Mojave

20211024_110725.jpg

Here you can see the different outside size of the diffs. N.1 is the TA from the RC8 B3.1 and N.2 is the Mojave..

20211024_110903.jpg

Here is where you can clearly see the wear in the Mojave shaft compared to the TA (that had about 20 litres of fuel usage) above, that still looks like new. I'm not talking about the discoloration of the shaft. You can feel with your nails the small dent on both sides.. Those metal plate in the Mojave diff can move a bit and therefore the four planets are not always working in a perfect 90 degrees angle to the sun gear. Hence, the excessive wear on the lower shaft (Mojave) after only 1 hour of usage. However, these two parts are interchangeable, even if the shaft is not really the problem..
Not sure if the Mojave "limited slip diff" uses a different hold system for the planet's pins, as I don't have/use them...

20211024_110958.jpg

The pins in the Mojave are again a fraction smaller than the others not just in length but also in diameter...

20211024_111118.jpg

The sun gear in the Mojave is a 20 teeth, same as the new RC8 B3.2. In the picture is the old 18 teeth.. I didn't check but I presume the new 20 teeth from TA is also interchangeable with the Arrma Mojave 20 teeth

After reassembly the front diff I also reinstall the electronics... I read here few people complaining about the quality of the Spectrum components, but because they haven't failed (so far), they can stay..

mojave33.jpg

I used M2 chassis and braces with JBI alloy towers on my Mojave. CF sleeve over the T2T brace. It won't bend now. Mojave is actually the longest 6s line chassis. Longer than a Lim chassis by several mm's.

I used M2 chassis and braces with JBI alloy towers on my Mojave. CF sleeve over the T2T brace. It won't bend now. Mojave is actually the longest 6s line chassis. Longer than a Lim chassis by several mm's.
I originally thought about the M2 chassis, but then I saw the 6.3 mm from Bulletproof (and a bit cheaper), so I went in that direction instead.. Like I said, in the 1/8 scale we are between 3-4 mm and in the 1/5 scale we are between 8-10 mm, so it seemed to be the correct thickness for the 1/7, (if it makes sense)..

I'm currently looking at the CF T2T as most model shop do sell CF tubing in both 1 foot and 3 feet length. Beside the extra strength, CF is much lighter and the Mojave can do with a bit of a diet now that the weight of the chassis has doubled...

This picture does show the damage sustained when I hit the concrete boulder... You can also see the little piece of concrete that came away with the car...

20211024_101041.jpg

:love:
Yeah I have a bin full fo those broken parts. From all my 6s rigs.
Honestly, if you run 8s heavy electrics in your Mojave along with that super heavy Mojo body, it wil become a pig for sure.:LOL:
Its big.

Finally, a delivery on Friday, so I was able to move forward a little..

20211029_222349.jpg

Still waiting for the centre diff and motor mount...

20211026_232518.jpg

I may have to trim the body a bit...

20211031_113039.jpg

Kinda of glad that Arrma does use the standard 17mm wheel hub... So many choices... :p

Last edited:
Got the central diff mount from PPS today so I was able to finish the car and put everything back together...

20211101_191405.jpg

I was very impressed by the kit and the package supplied by PPS, including all the bolts and Alan keys to do the job..

20211101_162716.jpg

20211101_191356.jpg

Did a bit of testing and with the larger wheels did handle like a boat, so the OEM wheels are back on..

Finally, I can confirm that The_Otherside was correct as far as the PPS centre diff cover binding on the 50 tooth gear of the diff. I had to get the Dremel out to get the diff to spin freely. Perhaps the new version of the kit, need a bit more material removed from under the central diff cover...

Got the last delivery today...

20211120_183112.jpg

While I like the look of the aluminium axle carrier, it does weight more than the plastic one and it will also wear out where in touch with the ball... We'll see how long it last. I also replaced the wheel nut with + 2 mm wider, so to improve a bit on cornering stability...

I also purchase the Hobbywing combo for when the OEM may decide to stop working or if I decide to convert another vehicle to electric...

20211121_105536.jpg

Next job will be to look at some different shock springs as the OEM do seem to sag a lot more now than before with the old chassis...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back