Who knows a little about 2.2/3.0 beadlock wheels for off-roading? Help, pls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Got a Losi Lasernut U4. I do not want to use the stock wheels due to known hex issues.

I am asking for wheels to buy in another post but at the same time looking for 2.2/3.0 wheels. The question I have: Why could I not use this lightweight wheel marketed for the drag racing market below? I am not jumping but bashing my Lasernut.

SSD RC 5 Hole Lightweight Aluminum Drag Racing Beadlock Wheels (Silver) (2) (2.2/3.0")
Specifications:
Wheel Width: 44mm
Tire Bead Width: 39.5mm
Offset: 1.9mm
Backspacing: 23.6mm
Weight: 89g (with hardware)
12mm hex

1672447081211.png

The Lasernut stock tire specs are:
Wheel Offset: 2.0 mm
OEM Wheels and Tire: 236 grams - 146mm tall / 57mm wide

At the most, I am off .1mm on the offset, which I could make up with Vanquish Products SLW Hex Hub Set, so I was told. But, I might not need to do SLW not sure.

The stock wheels are plastic, and the issue is the plastic hex destroys under-usage. Although this is a lightweight wheel, It still has to be more durable than a plastic wheel. The rim is light so with 4 or 5 (one on the back, maybe) lowers the tire weight....maybe beadlock tire weight should not be a concern with the Lasernut for me... 🤷‍♂️

I plan to install Proline Hyrax U4 2.2/3.0 rock tire on those rims. For other rims I have looked at for 2.2/3.0 each average wheel weight is about: 4.45oz / 126g

My concern with all is it says "lightweight," but compared to stock plastic, I do not feel this is an issue for a basher rim. Do you?

The SSD's look like a fit, with the correct 2.2/3.0 tire. Appear pretty light enough as well. SSD makes nice stuff. I have a set on my Axial Cralwer. Will solve the Hex rounding out issue for sure. Basically these are 1/10 Short course spec sized wheels. Which is what 1/10 rear Drag wheels are based on. I don't know much more. Sorry. :cool:

The SSD's look like a fit, with the correct 2.2/3.0 tire. Appear pretty light enough as well. SSD makes nice stuff. I have a set on my Axial Cralwer. Will solve the Hex rounding out issue for sure. Basically these are 1/10 Short course spec sized wheels. Which is what 1/10 rear Drag wheels are based on. I don't know much more. Sorry. :cool:

Excellent update my friend...

Did a lot of reading last night, and you are on target. I will go with SSD and for one, they make a lot of chang-ups as well if I want to change the face of the wheel or add rotors, etc. SSD offers a lot I can do with a set. Based on my reading and the lack of knowledge you shared, it does look like SSD would be the beadlock provider to stick with.

I also found on their site the LW, lightweight, they market to the drag guys for 90g they also sell the same non-LW at 106g for the same price. Damn, I did not know crawler rims could cost so much, but I only plan to make a ONE time purchase, especially if I get the 5th wheel on the back. Again, LW still has to be stronger than the stock with the addition of a 5th wheel LW seems to win. Nothing but outstanding reviews on the PL Hyrax tires for SC and crawlers with their G8 and Predator compounds. I feel I am on target and will be happy with the SSD and PL tire purchase for the LN. Damn, it will not be cheap if/when I pull that trigger :LOL:

Thx Boss

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back