Notorious Who loves fabricating stuff?‍♂️

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crewchief227

Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
I used to be a fabricator for Lockheed Martin, and I love "making" my own mods. So, I was using drywall tape and epoxy to suture my two bodies back together (they split right down the door seems), and wanted to solve the reason why they split. The reason was because I had to raise my body posts to clear the JBI 6mm towers I have. Thus making the center tower brace ineffective. I know that I have seen most of the big bashers on YouTube put cushions on top of their towers. I did the same, but with a little more refinement to the look.?
20191130_161602.jpg

It's not bought if from a hobby supplier professional, but for home DIY not bad imo. Jyst some of the foam from the box my motor came in (man I love this dense foam) cut to match the top of the tower. Then some dremel sanding to smooth out the edges, and fitted a "ledge" as I noticed (at least on the Notorious/Outcast) the tower sits so the start of the bed of the truck is about 3/4 of the rear part of the tower. So the step hugs the bed/back window area of the body. Securing the biggest pressure point of the roll hoop. Let's see if this holds up??

What have you fabricated today?

I finished my ice thrasher rims! Check out my post (Tire Studs) if you want to see pics ?

The video is also up now same thread ?

Last edited:
I save that good foam every time I buy something that's packaged in it. Sadly, I haven't anything to show as fabricated but I think I may use some in the same way you have on my Notorious.
I finished my ice thrasher rims! Check out my post (Tire Studs) if you want to see pics ?

Looking forward to running video ?

Anybody know what size PVC tubing fits the stock Backflips rim? I wanna create a drifting set for winter.
3.8" wheel diameter x 3" wide. (97mm x77mm) Thats all the info I have. PVC should be slightly larger, I guess but not sure if it comes in such fine measurements. Might have to use some kind of buffer between the wheel and pipe

I used 4” black pvc (drain pipe) but I had to shave/lathe down the ribs that hold the tire beads on. I just used the truck itself as a lathe, cause I don’t have access to a real one ? but they fit right in the 4” pvc with some patience! Not sure how you will adhere them to the rim though? Mine are held on by the studs.

I used 4” black pvc (drain pipe) but I had to shave/lathe down the ribs that hold the tire beads on. I just used the truck itself as a lathe, cause I don’t have access to a real one ? but they fit right in the 4” pvc with some patience! Not sure how you will adhere them to the rim though? Mine are held on by the studs.
Let me guess a little drifting on blacktop until they fit??

Let me guess a little drifting on blacktop until they fit??
Good idea! Never thought of that... ???
Might just work...

I used the bare rim mounted on the rear of truck, sitting on a yoga block, with the batteries connected, feathering the throttle with one hand and tool in the other hand. Also trying to hold the truck down with my arm at the same time. ? I used a number of tools to shave the ribs down. started with utility knife blade and ended up using a sharp chisel and a file for fine tuning. Like you would on a regular lathe, since it’s only supported on one side it’s not very stable (Kinda wobbly and sketchy) but it worked. If you take your time and have patience it works fine.

Made a heck of a mess too!????

I used to be a fabricator for Lockheed Martin, and I love "making" my own mods. So, I was using drywall tape and epoxy to suture my two bodies back together (they split right down the door seems), and wanted to solve the reason why they split. The reason was because I had to raise my body posts to clear the JBI 6mm towers I have. Thus making the center tower brace ineffective. I know that I have seen most of the big bashers on YouTube put cushions on top of their towers. I did the same, but with a little more refinement to the look.?
View attachment 55883

It's not bought if from a hobby supplier professional, but for home DIY not bad imo. Jyst some of the foam from the box my motor came in (man I love this dense foam) cut to match the top of the tower. Then some dremel sanding to smooth out the edges, and fitted a "ledge" as I noticed (at least on the Notorious/Outcast) the tower sits so the start of the bed of the truck is about 3/4 of the rear part of the tower. So the step hugs the bed/back window area of the body. Securing the biggest pressure point of the roll hoop. Let's see if this holds up??

What have you fabricated today?
Yes I enjoy looking for ways to make stuff better, easier to use. coming up with new ideas. "You never know until you try" (my body clip replacement project)
bodyclip3.0.png

Nope, It's one of these

View attachment 55992
Ok. I'm gonna try this trick. Easier to remove too, I bet. Standard pins get on my nerves from time to time especially if the body posts are loose or something bent.
Not saying I like the Traxxas system better either... because I prefer to remove the body on my terms rather than it come off when it feels like it.

does that actually keep the body down when you crash???? if so im on that... i lose pins like everytime I crash.
Bend one up and see what you come up with, I only have 1 good bash them and they worked for me

?‍♂️ me. When I got time. It's rewarding when you fab something yourself and it turns out good. Even better when you save money by using material you already have on hand.

I did the same thing,used the white foan and a wrap of duct tape,and it definitely helps to prolong the life of the body.
I did the same thing,used the white foan and a wrap of duct tape,and it definitely helps to prolong the life of the body.

Always looking for quick and easy fixes, so here are my ideas that so far, all work out well. Custom rear arm mud guards in metal and plastic, super absorbing 6s front body mount system, Salomon/Arrma t2t brace, no-flex 3s chassis upgrade and the 6s wheelie bar immobilizer. All designed using the "I'm too cheap to fix it right" software by NJsoft. Guarantee that there's more, but it's early and I'm still trying to finish my first coffee.

Attachments

• 20191119_132846.jpg
    20191119_132846.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20191119_202553.jpg
    20191119_202553.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 20190928_104009.jpg
    20190928_104009.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 20191014_170537.jpg
    20191014_170537.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20191009_223458.jpg
    20191009_223458.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 49
  • 20191030_223436.jpg
    20191030_223436.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Outcast wheelie bar saver.jpg
    Outcast wheelie bar saver.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 55
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back