Talion Who wants to play: "Guess the broken part"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty Leprechaun

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion EXB
So, it's been a short while since my last post. I have been bashing in between rainstorms here in Costa Rica. All has been great up until yesterday when I had a new one for me and my Talion. After a few speed runs on the road and some light tearing it up, I did a hard turn and started hearing a high-pitched whining, like gears related, and then my rig wasn't quite driving like itself any longer. I am going to pull it apart this afternoon as I was in a hurry yesterday and couldn't really take a look at it yet.

Where should I start my digging? I was thinking of checking the motor and its mount to see if there is any play there, it definitely sounds like gears slipping and it does not sound pleasant at all. My rig just didn't have any real "get up and go" after that all happened, it was offensive to the ears if I hit the throttle.

I'm really hoping that it's a motor mount...

So, it's been a short while since my last post. I have been bashing in between rainstorms here in Costa Rica. All has been great up until yesterday when I had a new one for me and my Talion. After a few speed runs on the road and some light tearing it up, I did a hard turn and started hearing a high-pitched whining, like gears related, and then my rig wasn't quite driving like itself any longer. I am going to pull it apart this afternoon as I was in a hurry yesterday and couldn't really take a look at it yet.

Where should I start my digging? I was thinking of checking the motor and its mount to see if there is any play there, it definitely sounds like gears slipping and it does not sound pleasant at all. My rig just didn't have any real "get up and go" after that all happened, it was offensive to the ears if I hit the throttle.

I'm really hoping that it's a motor mount...
Whining gears after a hard turn could be your front diff. When is the last time you had it open?

Whining gears after a hard turn could be your front diff. When is the last time you had it open?
I have not opened anything up just yet. this is my first real rig so I have been reluctant to get into that level of tinkering but there's no time like the present. I am fairly sure it is the center diff as that is where the noise really seems to be coming from but I will just have to open it all up and get this fixed. I need to get some diff fluid before I pull these all apart though. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Any big name is fine. I run 60k in the front, 300k in the middle and 30k in the rear with my Notorious. General purpose bashing and jumps.

The 300k in the center reduces the amount of ballooning in the front under power.

Stock out of the box config is 10k, 100k, 10k

You can buy it at a local hobby shop, an online hobby store or Amazon like what you have linked now.

Don't be too reluctant, there's lots of great tutorials and videos out there and preventative maintenance will save you $$$ in the long run.

Any big name is fine. I run 60k in the front, 300k in the middle and 30k in the rear with my Notorious. General purpose bashing and jumps.

The 300k in the center reduces the amount of ballooning in the front under power.

Stock out of the box config is 10k, 100k, 10k

You can buy it at a local hobby shop, an online hobby store or Amazon like what you have linked now.

Don't be too reluctant, there's lots of great tutorials and videos out there and preventative maintenance will save you $$$ in the long run.
I just ordered some, thank you for the tips, and I did get into it last night. I pulled apart the center diff and got a good look inside. Everything seems to be fine with the front and center diff. The rear is another story. It doesn't spin like the front and has some weird play in it and makes a bit of a noise when I spin the wheels independent of the front and center diffs. I'll be opening that one up today. I ran out of time yesterday. Thank you!

So I found metal shavings in the rear diff box and it appears there is a meshing issue. From what I've read, this needs to be shimmed. I guess I'm going to get into some videos about that. I will say I'm learning more than I imagined I would when I got into this and I am really enjoying the entire experience.

D09A6457-D314-4960-ADC4-F896DCA233D8.jpeg

1828F48C-0641-4E94-8DBB-69673895900C.jpeg

05C9E99C-3B6F-4CE7-926A-E45100C3900E.jpeg

So I found metal shavings in the rear diff box and it appears there is a meshing issue. From what I've read, this needs to be shimmed. I guess I'm going to get into some videos about that. I will say I'm learning more than I imagined I would when I got into this and I am really enjoying the entire experience.

View attachment 239170

View attachment 239171

View attachment 239172
That diff is done, you can see in your pic that the teeth are ground down. Time for a new one https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ferential-front-rear-outcast-kraton-ara8611v5

D09A6457-D314-4960-ADC4-F896DCA233D8.jpeg

If it makes you feel better I need a new one in my Exb https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ar-open-diff-set-new-gp4-2020-arrma-ara106053

My LHS happened to have one in stock. Changed it out today and I just ran it for about 10 minutes out front. I have to say that it has not sounded better since I have owned it. Wow, a nice and easy fix and I was able to get a shim in there as well. It feels much tighter and my rig is back to skating on the dirt. I'm still amazed at how fast these things are these days.

Thank you all for the help.

My LHS happened to have one in stock. Changed it out today and I just ran it for about 10 minutes out front. I have to say that it has not sounded better since I have owned it. Wow, a nice and easy fix and I was able to get a shim in there as well. It feels much tighter and my rig is back to skating on the dirt. I'm still amazed at how fast these things are these days.

Thank you all for the help.
Did you replace both gears? You need to replace both the crown and pinion gear at the same time.

No, I did not. I cleaned everything up and just dropped the new rear diff set in it. I have new pinion gears coming but they aren't here yet. Those I did have to order. Should I not run this in the meanwhile? It sounded and drove great on the test run.

No, I did not. I cleaned everything up and just dropped the new rear diff set in it. I have new pinion gears coming but they aren't here yet. Those I did have to order. Should I not run this in the meanwhile? It sounded and drove great on the test run.
No the gears need to break in together and if you run a gear that has been broken in with one that hasn't it is likely that you will strip a diff again.

Well thanks for the bad news, Captain Buzzkill! LOL. Jk, okay, well, good to know. I guess I will do some more upgrades while I wait for the new pinion gears to make it in. Back to flying the drone a little more...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back