Kraton Who's replaced either their ESC or motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveko23

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity how many of you have swapped out the stock ESC and motor from your Kraton? And if you have why did you? Was it just for an upgrade or because your burned your out? Also, if you had to guess what % of overall Kraton owners do you think swap their ESC or motor out at some point over the course of ownership?

I ask because I'm contemplating the EXB vs just the RTR 6s at the moment and am trying to gauge if I'm likely to swap out the stock stuff at some point.

I'm thinking of swapping out my motor and ESC, just for more speed and power. no burn outs on my car yet(luckily), but a better motor doesn't overheat as fast. And as for Kraton owners, I don't own one, but the ESC sucks.

I would start with the exb because some people end up putting $1200 into the stock kratons to be able to actually bash them hard like they say they can. The exb should at least take some good crashes and big jumps out of the box.

EXB plus MMX8S/1717 combo for me. It may still need other upgrades later but I’m super happy to get it running and find out

Swapped out the blx185 for a max6 in my outcast. Wanted to gear 1T higher and have a more capable BEC. Still stuck at the same gearing (13T with trencher 3.8's), but pretty sure it's due to the motor not having enough ability to use the power effectively. My stock servo didn't make it through it's first turn, so that was useless and I never used the stock radio.

In the end, the EXB is likely still a great deal if it's $550. The chassis and towers offset the cost of a motor/esc/servo (if you were to replace with stock take offs). Plus with the EXB, you get better diffs, alloy bracing, hinge pin retainer, stronger arms and a few other things. I'll likely buy a set of the diffs for my outcast at some point. Unless I still have a spare OEM sitting around.

I have a 4985 1650kv from hobbywing. And a max 6. I wanted more speed and bigger pinions. And the option to have insane torque if I want it with a smaller pinion. If you click my build thread badge you can see a list of all the parts I put on so far. If you want to bash out of the box buy EXB roller and drop some electronics in it. You will spend less than a kraton rtr and the upgrades you need to make it a decent basher. I mean the stock rtr chassis bends like a banana and the exb has a stronger chassis out of the box. I paid 3 bills for my JBI chassis to get it to Ontario canada(taxes shipping and the cost of chassis combined), so I think the exb is the better route.

I would start with the exb because some people end up putting $1200 into the stock kratons to be able to actually bash them hard like they say they can. The exb should at least take some good crashes and big jumps out of the box.
It should be noted RCDUDE81 did say they are 100% stronger than stock but still have some weaknesses compared to a decked out rig. He tweaked his chassis on a bad landing and I'd dare say a lot of us (me included) don't land perfect on every jump. If you were in the market for a K6 I could see picking one up and running it as is til something bent or broke. If I already had one like I do the exb line doesn't really interest me when I already shelled out all the cash to build it beefy from the beginning. The only rig I bought outright was the Typhon, the rest I Frankensteined together.
I built my K6 from the ground up with the M2C chassis/towers/stand offs/center braces, JBI/CRCU hinge pin blocks, rear tower mount, servo mount, RPM arms, and put a Max6/hobbystar 4092 1480kv motor in it. It cost me around $800 to build it from the ground up. I geared mine 24/46 with some homemade fans close to the NTF persuasion and only saw temps on the motor and esc in the 130's. I hit 62 in the gravel and that was plenty fast for me as a basher.

Attachments

• rc5.jpg
    rc5.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 43
It should be noted RCDUDE81 did say they are 100% stronger than stock but still have some weaknesses compared to a decked out rig. He tweaked his chassis on a bad landing and I'd dare say a lot of us (me included) don't land perfect on every jump. If you were in the market for a K6 I could see picking one up and running it as is til something bent or broke. If I already had one like I do the exb line doesn't really interest me when I already shelled out all the cash to build it beefy from the beginning. The only rig I bought outright was the Typhon, the rest I Frankensteined together.
I built my K6 from the ground up with the M2C chassis/towers/stand offs/center braces, JBI/CRCU hinge pin blocks, rear tower mount, servo mount, RPM arms, and put a Max6/hobbystar 4092 1480kv motor in it. It cost me around $800 to build it from the ground up. I geared mine 24/46 with some homemade fans close to the NTF persuasion and only saw temps on the motor and esc in the 130's. I hit 62 in the gravel and that was plenty fast for me as a basher.
The upgraded diffs should even it out though. Just less headaches time will tell if they are better. I didn’t say everyone spends 1200 but someone starting out in the learning curve may not know where to take the right steps which might cost a little more.

The blx 185 is a great rtr system. I did swap mine out though because I built a tekno mt410 and decided to drop the blx into it. I then upgraded to a max 6 and a 4092 hobby star motor. The only main problem with the blx esc is it only runs 6v to your servo. The stock arrma servo pared with my max is a waaaaay better.
20200526_202358.jpg

The only main problem with the blx esc is it only runs 6v to your servo. The stock arrma servo pared with my max is a waaaaay better.
I've been whining about this for years. This servo was spec'ed for 7.4v. The V1 (BLX180) ESC had a 7.4v BEC. Go back to the older youtube reviews of the V1 Arrmas, and pretty much all reviewers call the stock servo "The BEST RTR servo out there" or similar.

But we all know the BLX185 has 6.0v BEC, and that same servo is slow and weak on 6.0v. With the new generation of these uber-cheap 25kg servo, it sure would be nice if HH would swap to one of those as the stock servo...

The blx 185 is a great rtr system. I did swap mine out though because I built a tekno mt410 and decided to drop the blx into it. I then upgraded to a max 6 and a 4092 hobby star motor. The only main problem with the blx esc is it only runs 6v to your servo. The stock arrma servo pared with my max is a waaaaay better. View attachment 89542
what pinion do you run? I noticed my hobbystars run a little warm so I keep at least a yeah racing dual fan setup on mine. I'm testing some 40mm fans similar to the ntf's now and kept temps at 130 on the motor and esc with 24/46 gearing on my 1480kv motor on a 92 degree day.

My setup right now is a 20 tooth pinion 50 tooth spur running on a 1730kv 4092mm motor. Mine runs a little worm too. I run rain yah racing fans on the motor. The system seems to be in the 130s in summer weather right now. Im in upstate newyork and its pretty warm. Im thinking of getting some NTF fans. Theyre experience though ??

My setup right now is a 20 tooth pinion 50 tooth spur running on a 1730kv 4092mm motor. Mine runs a little worm too. I run rain yah racing fans on the motor. The system seems to be in the 130s in summer weather right now. Im in upstate newyork and its pretty warm. Im thinking of getting some NTF fans. Theyre experience though ??
Yeah they are pricy but worth it if you see crazy temps. I am trying out some better fans that are better than the yeah racing ones but not sure where they stand compared to the NTF's but definitely a lot better air flow than the little 30mm fans.

Yeah they are pricy but worth it if you see crazy temps. I am trying out some better fans that are better than the yeah racing ones but not sure where they stand compared to the NTF's but definitely a lot better air flow than the little 30mm fans.
Which ones are you running right now ?

Which ones are you running right now ?
I'll let you know after I see how they do. May be putting some sets together once we see how they handle abuse. hardest part is finding a heat sink that fits all the motor combos.

Out of curiosity how many of you have swapped out the stock ESC and motor from your Kraton? And if you have why did you? Was it just for an upgrade or because your burned your out? Also, if you had to guess what % of overall Kraton owners do you think swap their ESC or motor out at some point over the course of ownership?

I ask because I'm contemplating the EXB vs just the RTR 6s at the moment and am trying to gauge if I'm likely to swap out the stock stuff at some point.
Speed for the sake of speed is not always a line to fun but often a line to more repairs. Only go bigger if what you have isn't any fun and/or if you like fixing a broken truck every other battery...

Don't know why you'd want to change the electronics that come with the Kraton. I just got my 6s and it rips as is, only issue I can tell so far is tire ballooning and motor cooling. Outside of this it has a good amount of power out of the box...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back