Why any higher than 12t pinion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yazman

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Notorious
  3. Outcast 6s
Hey all. I'm a noob trying to learn more about gearing.

Forgive my ignorance, but why would you want anything higher than the stock 12T for general bashing (e.g., Outcast? I can understand for speed runs or racing, because more teeth equals more top end. However, since the stock gear has a max of 40 or 50mph, wouldn't you want to stick with it or maybe even go lower for the increased acceleration and torque? Or do people really hit max speed while bashing, hence the increased number of teeth people use? Maybe I'm just not bashing hard enough or I'm playing in too small of a space.

a few reasons-

first, the stock motor has enough power to turn a 14t with no heat issues except on +95f days, and even then it will work for most people. Arrma started the 12t back with the Kraton V1 with the smaller 4069 motor - that motor ran hot on a good day, and a 14t+6s would smoke it. When Arrma swapped in the stronger 4074 motor, they didn't change the pinions...

2 - Taller pinion = more wheel speed = better wheelies and stunting. Again, the motor has plenty of power, so torque is not an issue.

Also, for most people on this forum, Faster = better, so.... LOL

When I bash my outcast, I will be running 40%-70% throttle most of the time, with small jabs of 100% to get the truck to rotate (wheelie or flip). Really, 100% can't be used for more than a moment, because at low speeds, you will wheelie / backflip and at high speeds you will loose control / wheelie / cartwheel-of-death.

Comedy Central Lol GIF by Awkwafina is Nora from Queens

In all seriousness a 12t is perfectly fine and actually suggested by some.
But most on this forum is out of their mind and so more more more is what they are into.:ROFLMAO:

edit: for general bashing 12t is ok. These guys are insane!

I thought he same, lower lower to run cooler. I tried 11T and ran even hotter😳. So went up a few (15) which ran cooler. I think at some point you run too low resulting in full throttle almost all the time and more heat.
And as others mentioned at some point you just want to go faster and faster 😉. Then you know you overdid it and go back or…. Upgrade 🤣

Also, here is a secret - A Outcast6s with a 14t-16t pinion is a lot of fun on 4s. No, not as fast, and not as wheelie happy, but it still has a lot of speed and power.
AGREED!
Just running on the ground is fun AF. Some may disagree and have to be 30 ft. up at all times but a good dirt throwing session if a blast!:)

Also, here is a secret - A Outcast6s with a 14t-16t pinion is a lot of fun on 4s. No, not as fast, and not as wheelie happy, but it still has a lot of speed and power.

AGREED!
Just running on the ground is fun AF. Some may disagree and have to be 30 ft. up at all times but a good dirt throwing session if a blast!:)
These guys are soft. Don't listen to them, all they do is lie.

I thought he same, lower lower to run cooler. I tried 11T and ran even hotter😳. So went up a few (15) which ran cooler. I think at some point you run too low resulting in full throttle almost all the time and more heat.
And as others mentioned at some point you just want to go faster and faster 😉. Then you know you overdid it and go back or…. Upgrade 🤣
been there also. too low and youre asking for it. too high and youre urgently asking for it. haha
These guys are soft. Don't listen to them, all they do is lie.
And this one....wait nah...I'll let you find out for yourself.
Advise...keep your eyes out. don't let all that badges fool you. :ROFLMAO:

been there also. too low and youre asking for it. too high and youre urgently asking for it. haha

And this one....wait nah...I'll let you find out for yourself.
Advise...keep your eyes out. don't let all that badges fool you. :ROFLMAO:
Read below. Paypal only
👇

Read below. Paypal only
👇
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Is the separate from the Notorious J go fund me? :ROFLMAO:

OP be like "wheres the trx forum?" :ROFLMAO:
@Yazman play with your gearing and have a temp gun handy and youre golden.

(but I am serious. Watch out for @Notorious J) jk🤪

Last edited:
Also depends on your spot too. I think that's a big part of it, I'm lucky enough to have a golf course and or driving range at my disposal so I can get my trucks going nice and fast!! But if I had a smaller spot I certainly would gear down to not worry about temps. But still at the end of the day we all just want the POWA

For me it's simply for rotation.. try to stick a triple backflip with a 12t.. it's not happening unless you dropped it from a plane..🤣..

Remember, the throttle isn't an on/off switch, it can only go as fast or ballistic as your finger allows, so why wouldn't you gear up?..🤔

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back