Why are R/C tools crap!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadkill69

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Senton 3s
  3. Typhon 3s
Is anyone else tired of crap R/C tools? I just purchased a set of Integy 1/4 drive for my screwdriver and the 2mm is stripped 🤬 I am going mad. I have been wrenching on R/C’s for over 30 years and still have not been able to get a gold set of tools. Sorry for the rant just pissed.

Working on stuff of all sizes over the years, I’ve found that when you deal with tiny sizes in general, bolts or tool heads will strip many times easier than larger ones. Even good quality will eventually start rounding. I’ve also found torx works better than hex, or should I say, holds up better. At least in my experience, I’ve stripped way more hex head than torx heads.

It's less that R/C tools in general are crap and more that Integy products are unusually poor quality.
Even my proline hand hexes have stripped. I have MIP Standard size and they are good. Just hate to have to get the metrics on line

I've used mip since the late 90's. Tons of use. Have never had a tip go bad. I use the ball tips.

Best hex drivers out there. You get what you pay for and you'l only buy once.

Ill vote MIP, but I've had a Amazon set that yet to strip a screw.

I use Protek hand tools from Amain and MIP bits for my electric screwdriver. The Protek tools fit tightly into the fastener heads so they don’t strip. I’ve been using some of them for several years and they are still like new. And the MIP bits are as expected.

Mip for sure 2nd powerhobby have been a great set,3rd dynamite and protek in 4th.

I was very unimpressed with my MIP set, for $45 set of drivers I would expect them to last more than 6 months. My Amazon cheapos lasted longer than that.

Hmm. I've been using the same set of MIP ball end hexes for about 20 years. Best I've seen.

They are high mileage. Never an issue.
Another user had purchased a set around the same time I did and he had the same experience, the 2mm rounded off after about 6 months. I tried to grind the tip down but there wasn't really much tip there to grind.

20220319_163713.jpg

This is my Amazon cheapo I bought in November 2019.

20220319_163830.jpg

I'm doubting you'll find many in that situation using MIP. They have a high standing in the hobby. That is as rare as hen's teeth.

So going a little off topic here but what hand driver would you guys recommend for the MIP Speed Tips? I'm not talking an electric screwdriver but something like a normal screwdriver but accepts bits.

You can buy the set that has the 1/4 inch fitting for screwdriver handles with interchangeable tips. There are a ton of them online. I like a ratcheting handle myself. I have that set as ball ends. They’re great.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back