Granite Why did team durango go out of business

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a reason you think that we, a bunch of rc hobbyists, can answer this question confidently? Only the owners of Arrma, Hobbico, Team Durango and Horizon can give full details. I posted the link to wikipedia, which is the source that we would get our information. As you did in your previous thread, you have asked a question that no one here could answer conclusively. I suggest you write a letter with your query and send it to Jason Dearden. He is the owner and CEO of Arrma, and the original starter of Team Durango. Please avoid asking these types of questions moving forward. Forums are not encyclopedias. If you want answers to such specific questions, you will need to research closer to the source, and not third party outlets such as this one. If you want information on how to change a part on a Arrma, assuming that one day you will own one, the forum is a great place to research this type of thing. Even then, there is a search function at the top of each page, and learning how to use it will save yourself, and the rest of the good members, a considerable amount of time. You do not need to start a new thread each time you have an inquiry. Please be more respectful of the members of this forum, as they are doing their best to remain respectful to you.
Wow, you put some thought into that. Or smart just comes naturally to ya! Good response regardless. My first reaction to the question was - who cares? And I moved on. I really do appreciate how civil you guys are!

Wow, you put some thought into that. Or smart just comes naturally to ya! Good response regardless. My first reaction to the question was - who cares? And I moved on. I really do appreciate how civil you guys are!
I'm trying to be civil out of respect, but I hope the OP understands that these kinds of questions aren't always appropriate. Thanks to @BLXLyfe for the in depth breakdown.

I still cant find anything so they went out because it was a race set up and race set ups are not popular anymore i take it
From what i understand team Durango made high end racing stuff, that ended up doing more damaged tban good, and cost too much so arma opt out of using their stuff

By itself Durango was race rig Brand. A division of Dragon star, a Chinese based MFR of Axial, Arma and Durango. There's a whole story about Dragon Star.
But RC racing is a very small niche of this hobby. It is very hard to compete withe the big guys like Associated and TLR and even Tekno and Kyosho and Mugen in racing. Durango had a very good product, but could not be profitable in that very saturated market. So it folded before it could be fine tuned and recieved better Race brand recognition. The Racing scene is extremely competitive and yet a very small niche market. Expensive to own and compete in. Durango was not intended for the mass basher market.
Durango being a Dragon star product meant many parts were interchangeable with the Arma brand for obvious reasons.

The design group encompassed the 3 .Axial, Arma and Durango.

TD folded before the Hobbico debacle. But probably contributed to its financial failure among other factors like the Traxxas litigation as well as Hobbico's financial insolvency due to mismanagement. Traxass knew of Hobbico's financial woes and weakness and took advantage of that by suing over the Nero and trying to fold Axial, and Arma at the same time which are strong competitors to the TRX 4 Crawler segment and all the 1/8 scale Traxxas offerings.

Last edited:
Traxxas is clearly the bully on the block. This company doesn't want competition. Their business model doesn't allow for that. They would rather live in a vacuum with minimal threat to revenue and dominating in an otherwise competitive RC market. Can you fault them for being successful in that regard? No in some regards and yes in others...

Arrma wanted to act independently from horizon as in design etc so an agreement was made.. so we now have arrma as we know it and horizon hasnt ruined anther great brand

I wish I could say the same for Thunder Tiger buying Team Associated. But TA didn't have such luck if you ask me.
And TLR is doing great with Horizon H.

Last edited:
I wish I could say the same for Thunder Tiger buying Team Associated. But TA didn't have such luck if you ask me.
Some brands... had to change or they would've died.
There is Alot going on behind the scenes, the race scene is a mess. too many manufacturers is one of the problems anther problem is because of the previous ones, with "sponsored permanent customers" people who are always desperate for bragging rights on being sponsored but are saving bugger all - This also means it cuts out the middle man LHS.

Losi got saved by HH and they split them, when the budget for racing got shrunk by HH for TLR, adam drake got the boot, he was actually employed by HH.

There is alot going on Race wise right now it would take a 50,000 page super book to explain everything lol

They got merged away. Seems like the name is still being used for Tires and such. Few “brands” do well once sucked into a big company. HH already has TLR....no need for second.

There are other really good racing brands out there, too many for an easy choice! Serpent looks nice, but in truth I have not gotten into it enough to really know brands.
Some brands... had to change or they would've died.
There is Alot going on behind the scenes, the race scene is a mess. too many manufacturers is one of the problems anther problem is because of the previous ones, with "sponsored permanent customers" people who are always desperate for bragging rights on being sponsored but are saving bugger all - This also means it cuts out the middle man LHS.

Losi got saved by HH and they split them, when the budget for racing got shrunk by HH for TLR, adam drake got the boot, he was actually employed by HH.

There is alot going on Race wise right now it would take a 50,000 page super book to explain everything lol
Ooops this is better answer!
Yet, give HH time!
I am learning a lot in this thread!

Is this the same guy that asked if the Kraton can handle 6s and what causes a company to go bankrupt. I was on the Traxxas site awhile back and seen some of the same lame questions asked there.

Is this the same guy that asked if the Kraton can handle 6s and what causes a company to go bankrupt. I was on the Traxxas site awhile back and seen some of the same lame questions asked there.
Rc groups too and Rc Talk he made a new account name and started posting stupid questions over there too.................

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...-run-6s-on-the-erevo-2-0.126404/#post-1249593

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...ways-a-company-can-go-out-of-business.126331/

Last edited:
Rc groups and he made a new account and started posting stupid questions over there too.................
Dude has issues!!
Rc groups too and Rc Talk he made a new account name and started posting stupid questions over there too.................

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...-run-6s-on-the-erevo-2-0.126404/#post-1249593

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...ways-a-company-can-go-out-of-business.126331/
The titles of them questions make me laugh, has to be Rain Man.

Last edited:
There can’t be too much money to be made on the racing side I wouldn’t think. It has to cost a fortune to pay the drivers, maintenance, travel, parts, etc. There probably isn’t much left by then.

I know in the 1:1 world, racing drives innovation and then after a few years it eventually trickles down to the economy class. There are big names, media coverage and all that to offset the cost. How does all that compare to the RC world?

Well i cant tell cuz i don't know, but i can think.... since i raced when they came..and then later see them dissapere..

To run a factory team aint cheap..and durango had few of the best drivers in the world and i doubt they did it due to it was fun. Costs for developement, paied drivers..to be on top, it costs a fortune..

But again, im just guessing

Big Race teams etc used to be "the thing" look at the last time it happened, worlds 2008.
but now we have a stupid amount of different brands all getting a piece of the pie.
market competition is good but the 1/8 is a mess and infinity are about to add to their one to the mix

at 2008 at the worlds in Charlotte You had all the huge massive teams of kyosho, jammin, losi, hb, kinda TT plus a couple of others
Now its like 16-18 brands? im really hoping RCGP fixes this by its entry limit for proper teams.

So i still cant find why team durango went out of buisness
I can anwser that..they had basicly the best drivers in the world signed to them. The car was very costy. A pure racing company are hard to run..99% you have a line of cars that are ment for the masses..racing scen are only a fraction of the rest we see..the cost of inovation to be in the front are costy as few..basicly all racing brands we see today are owned by anothet company besides Xray.

But to anwser it, cost was way to high to run it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back