Limitless Why did you start speed running?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always been a power/speed junkie. The Yamaha banshee is regarded as one of the fastest 4-wheelers ever produced. They come with 34 horsepower. I built one with a GSXR 750 sport bike motor that had 142 hp. I was obsessed with time attack/hill climb car builds, but just cannot afford to take on such a project.

I was at a friend's house who pulled out a Traxxas Rustler 2wd VLX to show me. He was doing wheelies up the road on 3s and I was blown away by the power/speed that modern RC cars had.

I had done RC cars years ago when nitro was the only thing actually fast and also owned a nice HPI on-road car in the early 2000s.

Knowing very little I purchased a 2wd slash that was similar to what my friend had. While it was fun I could tell that 2wd had some issues and I wanted to go really fast with more control/stability.

I started watching videos and found @phildogg running a Slash 4x4 in the 160+ mph range and knew I just had to get one. I found one used on eBay and just never could keep the car on the road. I think I was probably geared for 180 mph and wanted to dominate the world, guns a blazing.
Had I taken baby steps that would have gone much better....

One day I decided to buy an Arrma Kraton and was shocked at how stable it was and loved the 6s power system. I ended up taking that one to 96 mph on a neighborhood street with stock electronics and was really hooked on speed again!

That was followed by some Typhon's and a 4tec 2.0 and xmaxx. All of which I didn't care for but was searching for the platform that felt right!

Then came the Unlimited carbon fiber stretched chassis Limitless. I showcased this car about the time the limitless hit the shelves by purchasing Tyhon parts and others bits and pieces before the limitless was available.

Many custom builds followed and only here in 2022 did I finally find a good road to start proving with actions what I have been building. I have been head over heels with the Hobao VTE2 and excited to really test the 200+ custom build this next spring/summer.

Unlimited project if you had not seen it before:

11.JPG

3.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread guys.. For me the Speedrun hobby/sport/addiction took hold about Three years ago. I was a happy guy messing around with my crawlers and drones in my backyard and elsewhere.. Crawlers are tons of fun, but doing it is slow and methodical, that's what I like about it but it doesn't deliver any adrenaline hits.. I loved flying drones too but the raft of new regulations introduced in the past few years killed that hobby for me.
I started seeing videos on Youtube of Typhon V2's running over 100mph and was instantly fascinated. This was before the Limitless came out, so after research here and a couple other places I got a 6s Typhon V2 and a original 1/8 Hobao VTe, and built them into speedrun cars. My first ever speedrun was on 6s and I did 83 mph, I loved the adrenaline/nervousness, and even the strange feeling of my hands shaking as I was about to start the run.. Of course I hated the inevitable crashes and resulting bills, but I hooked and just wanted to get faster. Fast forward to now and getting to 135mph has been a relatively smooth process for me, but that's where the problem begins as I now need to travel far and wide to get to a road where I can safely run faster than that. Also, for me I enjoy building these things more than actually driving them (a little strange, I know) so I spend 90% of my RC time doing that, so I don't tend to run my cars that often.
I now have multiple cars capable of speeds between 150 to around 180mph, and all have been over 130mph but that's it so far lol. I need to plan it with a couple friends and get out to the Movaje desert with all my cars and batteries and get some numbers.. Oh yea, something called work keeps getting into the way, and recently my foray into fast RC boats has taken my time as well. But I'm still here with the thirst for big numbers with these cars, just a matter of time before I'm in the 160 mph club with multiple cars, that is my goal.. Its the fun and satisfaction of building and testing these cars, and looking forward to achieving my speed goals that keeps me in this game

Great thread guys.. For me the Speedrun hobby/sport/addiction took hold about Three years ago. I was a happy guy messing around with my crawlers and drones in my backyard and elsewhere.. Crawlers are tons of fun, but doing it is slow and methodical, that's what I like about it but it doesn't deliver any adrenaline hits.. I loved flying drones too but the raft of new regulations introduced in the past few years killed that hobby for me.
I started seeing videos on Youtube of Typhon V2's running over 100mph and was instantly fascinated. This was before the Limitless came out, so after research here and a couple other places I got a 6s Typhon V2 and a original 1/8 Hobao VTe, and built them into speedrun cars. My first ever speedrun was on 6s and I did 83 mph, I loved the adrenaline/nervousness, and even the strange feeling of my hands shaking as I was about to start the run.. Of course I hated the inevitable crashes and resulting bills, but I hooked and just wanted to get faster. Fast forward to now and getting to 135mph has been a relatively smooth process for me, but that's where the problem begins as I now need to travel far and wide to get to a road where I can safely run faster than that. Also, for me I enjoy building these things more than actually driving them (a little strange, I know) so I spend 90% of my RC time doing that, so I don't tend to run my cars that often.
I now have multiple cars capable of speeds between 150 to around 180mph, and all have been over 130mph but that's it so far lol. I need to plan it with a couple friends and get out to the Movaje desert with all my cars and batteries and get some numbers.. Oh yea, something called work keeps getting into the way, and recently my foray into fast RC boats has taken my time as well. But I'm still here with the thirst for big numbers with these cars, just a matter of time before I'm in the 160 mph club with multiple cars, that is my goal.. Its the fun and satisfaction of building and testing these cars, and looking forward to achieving my speed goals that keeps me in this game

Let me know when!!

I was influenced solely by the guys on this forum. @Diem Turner @K-BASH @chris adams @LibertyMKiii @phildogg @Notoriousone @Notorious J among others in no particular order. All of you guys. And I’m not naming names now, but I get serious satisfaction from the fact that a “normal Joe” now holds the record in this endeavor and not the Tube-stars with deep pockets. These guys came up slowly with trial and error, experience, and learned skill in everything from electronics, setup, and technique. The best thing is that they‘ve been so gracious in sharing their collective experience and helping dummies like me stay pointed in the right direction. And I’ll raise a glass to all the other Normal Joes who are currently chasing the record as well. Good luck and Godspeed to all.

Last edited:
I fell into speed running by accident. I had purchased a set of really cheap on road wheels from Amazon and threw them on my Typhon 6s. I mounted a Gopro on the wing and turned on the GPS function. After hitting 60 mph, I was hooked. It was at this point I started paying attention to people here on the Forum who had already eclipsed 100 mph. The list of names is long, and each one had a different influence on me. The Forum community alone got me over 100 mph, and although I branched out to YouTube and Facebook for knowledge at that point, it was still the "Speed Demons" of the Forum that kept pushing and advising me on ways to go faster. I'm definitely less technically inclined than most others in the sport, and my trials with errors were always by my own reckoning. I often attempted ludicrous runs, where had I asked for advice first, would have saved myself grief and money. I just didn't want to ride on the shoulders of everyone else and had always hoped I would hit a magic bullet on my own. Anyways, I'm never going to give up speed running, but 2023 will be a much less aggressive time. After reaching 141 mph on 6s, I can honestly say I'm totally content with where I got to. I don't expect I'll be hitting the numbers that so many are these days, as well as watching in awe the 3s and 4s challenges that are producing insane results. I just want each pass to be straight and fast, and be able to walk away with an unscathed car at the end of each session. Why does that last statement seem so hard to believe because that's just not how speed running rolls.

This truck was a parking lot beast..check out the holeshot on warm grps in this vid @1:30..
My heart started beating faster and I had some little adrenaline rush just watching this vid. For info, that does loke 1.5seconds to 62mph, right?
I have always been a power/speed junkie. The Yamaha banshee is regarded as one of the fastest 4-wheelers ever produced. They come with 34 horsepower. I built one with a GSXR 750 sport bike motor that had 142 hp. I was obsessed with time attack/hill climb car builds, but just cannot afford to take on such a project.

I was at a friend's house who pulled out a Traxxas Rustler 2wd VLX to show me. He was doing wheelies up the road on 3s and I was blown away by the power/speed that modern RC cars had.

I had done RC cars years ago when nitro was the only thing actually fast and also owned a nice HPI on-road car in the early 2000s.

Knowing very little I purchased a 2wd slash that was similar to what my friend had. While it was fun I could tell that 2wd had some issues and I wanted to go really fast with more control/stability.

I started watching videos and found @phildogg running a Slash 4x4 in the 160+ mph range and knew I just had to get one. I found one used on eBay and just never could keep the car on the road. I think I was probably geared for 180 mph and wanted to dominate the world, guns a blazing.
Had I taken baby steps that would have gone much better....

One day I decided to buy an Arrma Kraton and was shocked at how stable it was and loved the 6s power system. I ended up taking that one to 96 mph on a neighborhood street with stock electronics and was really hooked on speed again!

That was followed by some Typhon's and a 4tec 2.0 and xmaxx. All of which I didn't care for but was searching for the platform that felt right!

Then came the Unlimited carbon fiber stretched chassis Limitless. I showcased this car about the time the limitless hit the shelves by purchasing Tyhon parts and others bits and pieces before the limitless was available.

Many custom builds followed and only here in 2022 did I finally find a good road to start proving with actions what I have been building. I have been head over heels with the Hobao VTE2 and excited to really test the 200+ custom build this next spring/summer.

Unlimited project if you had not seen it before:

View attachment 262459

View attachment 262460
You plannding on doing 200+ runs and already have a rig? The current record is 204 and apparently Raz is very very close to beat it with ~210+ mph run based on one of his videos where he only had basher batteries.

So ye, its crazy that you re around the world record

Last edited:
You plannding on doing 200+ runs and already have a rig? The current record is 204 and apparently Raz is very very close to beat it with ~210+ mph run based on one of his videos where he only had basher batteries.

So ye, its crazy that you re around the world record

Yes, check out the build thread link under my profile that will take you to that car's build.
It is a custom-built car for that speed goal.

Really cool posts👍👍

I’ve had rc’s for over 15 years starting with some tt01 drift cars at 3am in parking lots at streetracing meets.
Fell hard into bashers about 5-6 years ago,
I guess it was almost two years ago now I decided in a mall parking lot to just try and break 100 with my talion.
Literally had no idea what I was getting into.
I’ve always been a speed junkie with fast cars and this is a nice break for me from working on real cars.
Doing collision work for a living sometimes I don’t want to work on a real car when I come home so the rc’s are nice.

For me the best part of the speed game since I got into it more has been the people and motivation that we give to each other.
The low cell challenges here have been a blast and I think the low cell runs I made this year were my favorite.

Can’t wait for next season fellas

I guess I’ll give my serious answer now. I was into RC in the late 80’s and 90’s. RC10’s, Kyosho, etc. Got out of it when my parents got divorced and then when I became a teen I had other things on my mind. Then in 2000 I bought an HPI RS4 nitro and modded that thing. Had a blast but sold it because I was young and needed the money. Spent the next 12 years building real cars for drag racing since at the time I lived around the corner from Orlando Speed World and had access to a 1/4 mile strip. Got out of that when I moved back to Miami and started dating my wife. Then we had kids after we got married in 2013. Fast forward to August of 2021. Landed in the hospital with Covid induced pneumonia and was bored as poop. Decided to get back into RC so I bought a Rustler 4x4 VXL. Served me well since I had to take time off of work and it kept me busy. Started trying to make that thing fast and was doing 75mph up and down my street. Then I found RC YouTubers like Raz and James. Ho-Lee-Fuk. I was blown away and had to have a Limitless. So I got one around December of last year, then found this forum shortly after, and the rest is history. What has kept me going is the friendships I’ve made here. Learning the technical aspects is my favorite part and the fact that everyone has been so willing to help just makes me want to keep at it even when I get frustrated.

Can someone tell me what happens when you max out a car? Say you buy a Limitless v2, you fill it up w the tech that beat the F1 car on carwow, fine. You do 160-170mph, fine. Then what?

I like this speeddaemon thing, but Im afraid Im gonna bankrupt my family 🥶

I heard Raz in a video how he just sold his older cars, do you people do that too?

Can someone tell me what happens when you max out a car? Say you buy a Limitless v2, you fill it up w the tech that beat the F1 car on carwow, fine. You do 160-170mph, fine. Then what?

I like this speeddaemon thing, but Im afraid Im gonna bankrupt my family 🥶

I heard Raz in a video how he just sold his older cars, do you people do that too?
That's easy. Set your sights higher and go for 180mph. You have to understand that reaching higher speeds isn't simply a matter of throwing money and horsepower at a car. There's a lot more that goes into it than that. Sometimes you really have to rethink your setup because you've reached a plateau. The key is understanding that plateaus are only there to make you think that you've maxed your car out. That's why it's great to have so many other speed runners that have gone a lot faster so, no matter what you may think, you haven't actually maxed out your car, you've only come up against the limits of your own understanding, knowledge and ability. Finding a way to break on through and to stretch your own abilities beyond what you thought you were capable of.

And if you persevere, you will crack 180mph. So, you may ask, "Then what?". Set your sights a notch higher and aim for 190mph. It can be done. It has been done. The same goes for 200mph. The Limitless/Infraction platform is the current WR holder at 204mph...and that's still not the end of the flag pole. There's still a long way to go if you're serious about "maxing out" a car. Chances are 100% that you'll have some accidents along the way that will set you back. Then what? Rebuild. Figure out what went wrong. Make the car better.

Speed running isn't for the faint of heart or wallet. It's an expensive endeavor...especially if you're serious about maxing out a car (whatever maxing out means).

IIRC, I do believe that Raz sold some of his earlier speed builds. Sometimes he would just recycle parts of them into new builds because he grew tired of the design because it didn't have "the magic". I don't sell my cars. I was still running my first car after almost two years. I just got my second car two or three weeks ago. I wouldn't recommend bankrupting your family however. Fun though speed running may be, I don't really see it being worth taking it to that extreme.

Start on low voltages. 3S - max it out. 4S - max it out. 6S - max it out...try to forego bankruptcy for as long as possible by having less accidents. Working your way up from lower voltages will help you have less accidents. If you jump into it on 6S or, God forbid, 8S, you will wreck. Badly. 100% probability.

Hope this answers your questions :)

That's easy. Set your sights higher and go for 180mph. You have to understand that reaching higher speeds isn't simply a matter of throwing money and horsepower at a car. There's a lot more that goes into it than that. Sometimes you really have to rethink your setup because you've reached a plateau. The key is understanding that plateaus are only there to make you think that you've maxed your car out. That's why it's great to have so many other speed runners that have gone a lot faster so, no matter what you may think, you haven't actually maxed out your car, you've only come up against the limits of your own understanding, knowledge and ability. Finding a way to break on through and to stretch your own abilities beyond what you thought you were capable of.

And if you persevere, you will crack 180mph. So, you may ask, "Then what?". Set your sights a notch higher and aim for 190mph. It can be done. It has been done. The same goes for 200mph. The Limitless/Infraction platform is the current WR holder at 204mph...and that's still not the end of the flag pole. There's still a long way to go if you're serious about "maxing out" a car. Chances are 100% that you'll have some accidents along the way that will set you back. Then what? Rebuild. Figure out what went wrong. Make the car better.

Speed running isn't for the faint of heart or wallet. It's an expensive endeavor...especially if you're serious about maxing out a car (whatever maxing out means).

IIRC, I do believe that Raz sold some of his earlier speed builds. Sometimes he would just recycle parts of them into new builds because he grew tired of the design because it didn't have "the magic". I don't sell my cars. I was still running my first car after almost two years. I just got my second car two or three weeks ago. I wouldn't recommend bankrupting your family however. Fun though speed running may be, I don't really see it being worth taking it to that extreme.

Start on low voltages. 3S - max it out. 4S - max it out. 6S - max it out...try to forego bankruptcy for as long as possible by having less accidents. Working your way up from lower voltages will help you have less accidents. If you jump into it on 6S or, God forbid, 8S, you will wreck. Badly. 100% probability.

Hope this answers your questions :)
It answers it somewhat and the 3S idea makes it way more viable because it makes the whole thing waaaaay cheaper.

But I imagine I cant put 3S into limitless, because its just too big for so small setup?
I really like the Schumacher Icon 2 kit. I wonder if somehow that could be made awd and do speedruns. I have some sort of OCD myself and if things are not PERFECT I am getting absolutely stressed. So while I love Arrma, their stuff is put together rather poorly, tyres wobbling and such. When I brought this up in the hobby shop, funny enough the guy shown me a limitless and how its tyres are wobbling 🤦🏾‍♂️. The Schumacher Icon2 kit seems like absolutely perfect to milimeter, but its made for smth else.

So what platforms would you use for 3S speeding? I m not a fan of Typhon, and I love the f1 look of cars so that might make it harder.

Last edited:
It answers it somewhat and the 3S idea makes it way more viable because it makes the whole thing waaaaay cheaper.

But I imagine I cant put 3S into limitless, because its just too big for so small setup?
I really like the Schumacher Icon 2 kit. I wonder if somehow that could be made awd and do speedruns. I have some sort of OCD myself and if things are not PERFECT I am getting absolutely stressed. So while I love Arrma, their stuff is put together rather poorly, tyres wobbling and such. When I brought this up in the hobby shop, funny enough the guy shown me a limitless and how its tyres are wobbling 🤦🏾‍♂️. The Schumacher Icon2 kit seems like absolutely perfect to milimeter, but its made for smth else.

So what platforms would you use for 3S speeding? I m not a fan of Typhon, and I pove the f1 look of cars so that might make it harder.
My 3S PB in my Infraction GT conversion is 122mph and I know I can still squeeze a few more mph out of it. My goal is 130mph on 3S. In an Infraction. Six or so months ago I thought the exact same thing you did. Had you told me that it was possible to go 120mph+ on 3S in a car this big...I may have never stopped laughing. But it can be done. Truth be told, I'd recommend giving it a try. There's much to be learned about the car, tuning, suspension setup. optimizing what is, essentially, a good base to work from.

The beauty of starting from 3S is the speeds are relatively low (you'll typically begin somewhere in the 80mph range in earnest) and then just take it step by step. Wrecks will be far less devastating and easier to repair and figure out what happened. You can even begin from a lower step and see how much you're able to get out of the stock electronics. I think the fastest I've seen with stock electronics was somewhere around 105-107mph. Then upgrade the electronics. At that point don't waste your time or money on in between steps, just go straight to the XLX2 and a motor of your choice. The XLX2 is in a class of one when it comes to speed running. And then the fun begins with collecting, reading and analyzing data logs which are the tool of choice when it comes to figuring out what your car is doing.

The Icon 2 is surely a fine vehicle. But that's definitely not what I'd recommend for speed running. A RWD car is a whole other challenge and not something I'd recommend to start out with. You're going to have problems with traction, finding gears that are suitable for the task (that car is made for carving up tracks, not straight line speed). Go with a 1/8 or, better yet, 1/7 scale long wheel base AWD platform. They're far more forgiving and docile and are a perfect platform for speed running. They're not cheap, but they're durable, there are mountains of aftermarket parts for them and they where it's at right now when it comes down to which cars are the fastest.

If you're looking for something with better fit and finish than Arrma, take a look at the Hobao VTE (1/8 scale) and VTE2 (1/7 scale).

This is my 122mph pass on 3S in my Infraction. Maybe this will whet your whistle :)

Its insane that it actually sounds like a real car when it flies away there 🙂
Yeah, I love the whole experience of the car and lights blasting past me just as I hit WOT in the middle of the night. Has a bit of a Le Mans kinda vibe to it. I'm a huge fan of night running. I got into it out of necessity because of traffic, but I much prefer it now.

Yeah, I love the whole experience of the car and lights blasting past me just as I hit WOT in the middle of the night. Has a bit of a Le Mans kinda vibe to it. I'm a huge fan of night running. I got into it out of necessity because of traffic, but I much prefer it now.
Its quite ballsy to do it there and then, it adds loads of adrenaline compared to running it on a relatively dangerless runway (like Raz)

Also crazy how much work and money goes into like 2min of adrenaline rush. We could be renting and driving fastest cars for fraction of costs and for 10x more time 🤣

Its quite ballsy to do it there and then, it adds loads of adrenaline compared to running it on a relatively dangerless runway (like Raz)

Also crazy how much work and money goes into like 2min of adrenaline rush. We could be renting and driving fastest cars for fraction of costs and for 10x more time 🤣
I will admit that I do enjoy the minor degree of uncertainty that's brought into play by doing this on a public road. Although I typically make my runs between 1-3AM so that traffic is at an absolute minimum. Because it's definitely annoying if you have to abort a pass halfway in because a car is coming. It's not a huge amount, but that will be enough to knock a few hundredths of a volt off the batteries which could, theoretically, cost you 1-2mph because your batteries aren't at their absolute peak. It is what it is in the end.

Yeah, it's definitely a lot of preparation and work that goes into 2-3 minutes of actual driving. By this point, the endorphin rush doesn't hit me until I get home if I got a PB. It's important to be as calm and relaxed as possible during the actual pass so that you can focus on the length, consistency and speed of your trigger pull, avoid stuttering or jittery trigger movements as they all create voltage drops which in turn leads to current spikes and all that sort of stuff. I'm really relaxed and in the zone during the pass. There's nothing worse than trying to drive a fast car when you're tense and nervous with a knot in your stomach. It doesn't feel good and it produces poor results.

While it does cost quite a bit of money, I'm not sure about the fast car renting for a fraction of the cost. Unless you know waaay cheaper places to do things like that than I do (which is entirely possible of course). :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back