Limitless Why did you start speed running?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerold

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
I started because I was watched Raz Shifrin's videos. Like, who is the crazy guy that thinks he can go 190 mph with a little RC car? What I really like is he gets some really good runs and his builds are super clean. He is also very supportive of the other guys there, even if they have a bad run. A true team player and seems like a genuine good person.

What I like about it is that even though are your running fast you have to be methodical and take your time to make sure everything is tight and right. I spend more time building and engineering than running. Also you are competing against yourself and not the chaos of race day with 5 other cars to deal with. All you need is some LiPos, a good road and some time. Well a car helps too.

Generally I wasn't surprised at the expense. I planned the entire build and knew what parts to get. Then started swapping parts or even making parts.

The thing that did surprise me is the buzz you get when you run it. It really reminded me of what I road raced (actual cars). It's a bit of an adreanline dump with a bit of holy crap I didn't burn a $2,000 bill today.

Share your story.

+!

Raz inspired me also. I watched several of his early videos back then. I used to speed run my TA RC10L Pan car back in the early 90's. So I knew the adrenaline rush was addicting already. I always wanted another speed runner. Got a hard to get early release Limitless. A mess out the box. Another story altogether.:rolleyes:
But it was Raz's One video that did it for me. Got me all into Speed running.
It was a long dark video where all he does is talk about how many start out without much direction and always fail, and how many of the fast guys don't share info about their builds. Like it is a secret all their own. A club of guys unto themselves. And not fair to the Hobby. Many won't share their hard work. That he wanted to show all how to enjoy speedrunning. He said even he was considered an outcast. By the early ROSSA guys. Things have changed for him today however.
I think he removed that video by now, as he became a respected celeb by now. I can't find that video anymore. Like 3 years old by now. He was calling out the many fast guys etc. So it wasn't taken well by some others. He even stated this in the video and accepted any backlash, did not care. That he was offering info. that others would not reveal.
That video went viral. Look where Raz has gotten today. Even KT collaborated with him.:LOL:

Last edited:
I'm slowly setting up my Typhon 6s v5 for a on road speed car. Going the speeds are one thing, but also like mentioned above, you have to be precise in your control of the car. Anyone can squeeze a trigger, turn the wheels and have fun, I do that mostly lol. But with a speed car set up, there's very little room for errors. You have to keep all the dangers and mistakes in the conscious mind.

Great stories guys!

I remember being on the trend of overbuilding and over powering without much thought to purpose. Posting my Mojave in a FB group I thought it was the coolest thing ever and little did I know how unoriginal lol

In that Mojave group I came across a couple of people building their Mojaves to go 100mph+ and I thought “this can’t be that hard” lol So I ordered some Felony rear wheels and got started. Easily sunk so much money into it crashing and destroying parts. Then started doing research, came across Raz and a couple of others on speedrun secrets and from there it just grew.

However, it almost ended for me as I was crashing with almost every run. It was very disheartening.. I sold my expensive builds and bought a couple of used Limitless for cheap and just started over with Spektrum equipment. I got a Perfect Pass and that reduced my crashing a bit and also decreased the amount of tires I blew up lol and then I added a gyro and man was that the greatest investment!! That allowed me to get out and run multiple times and come home with vehicle that was all bent up and destroyed.

I love the competition with one’s self in speedrunning.

I'm slowly setting up my Typhon 6s v5 for a on road speed car. Going the speeds are one thing, but also like mentioned above, you have to be precise in your control of the car. Anyone can squeeze a trigger, turn the wheels and have fun, I do that mostly lol. But with a speed car set up, there's very little room for errors. You have to keep all the dangers and mistakes in the conscious mind.
The Typhon was the original speed runner, prior to the Arrma 1/7 All-Road models being released. The Typhon arms, axels and Hubs are crossover parts to the longer Lim based platform.
Typhon is a versatile platform.
My TLRT on just 4s does 58mph. Plenty fast for me. (HW XR8 Plus/2250 G3 sensored combo ) I prefer 4s for general bashing with the Typhon TLRT. The chassis balances out perfectly. Crossweight is a perfect 50/50. Doesn't get better than this.

Last edited:
For me, it was random youtube videos. I bought a typhon 6s v5 and started looking at typhon videos. I was crashing my typhon up on 6s just trying to break into the 90s. Then I found this forum. The 3s challenge thread made me realize that there were a ton of things I was doing wrong. It's such a rush when I get a PB no matter how many cells I'm running. Speedrunning is like having a puzzle to work on all week and then send in flying down the road at crazy speeds on the weekend. The tinkering is just as fulfilling as the run when it all pays off.

Always set the ESC, with the Punch setting all the way down, for serious geared speeds. A speed calculator is your best friend.

For me, it was random youtube videos. I bought a typhon 6s v5 and started looking at typhon videos. I was crashing my typhon up on 6s just trying to break into the 90s. Then I found this forum. The 3s challenge thread made me realize that there were a ton of things I was doing wrong. It's such a rush when I get a PB no matter how many cells I'm running. Speedrunning is like having a puzzle to work on all week and then send in flying down the road at crazy speeds on the weekend. The tinkering is just as fulfilling as the run when it all pays off.
Yeah in this hobby, wrenching is 80%, driving is the other 20%.

That video went viral. Look where Raz has gotten today. Even KT collaborated with him
It's not to say the Kevin Talbot hasn't influenced me a ton and Francis from RC Review also. Both of them really tell you how the product is, the good, the bad and the ugly. Even the up and coming brands get some love with them. They are the ones that got me in to crawling and SCT.

I really appreciate Kevin's attitude. He has a ton of haters and just replies with "Dude. We are adults playing with toy cars. Do what puts a smile on your face." That was this is really about. It's highly unlikely that any of us are going to get rich doing this, so have fun.

I'd love to spend a day with Kevin in the shop, bashing or whatever. He's seems like a lot of fun.
He was calling out the many fast guys etc. So it wasn't taken well by some others. He even stated this in the video and accepted any backlash, did not care. That he was offering info. that others would not reveal.
With few exceptions (military, crime, etc), hoarding knowledge is a disease.

I get it, people are competitive; but if you are the best, share your knowledge, help others and you WILL grow from it. You won't be on the pedestal forever, and when it gets knocked out from under you what will people say. I, personally don't my legacy to be that I was an A$$#%le and couldn't be trusted.

To me successful people are leaders. They share their success, acknowledge others, pass on the knowledge to the next generation.

Yeah in this hobby, wrenching is 80%, driving is the other 20%.
The Pareto Principle is ubiquitous and rules all :)

---------------------------------------------------------

When I first started looking for RC channels at the beginning of 2021, KT and Raz were two of my early finds. They both have a quality about them and an enthusiasm that is infectious. I did a lot of research on what my first car would be and after watching them and others it was whittled down to either the Infraction, X-MAXX or UDR.

The car that wound up winning the argument is obvious and it was intoxicating from the very first pull of the trigger. I've never had a second thought about whether I got the right car or not. First I tried to max out the stock electronics, then came my first Castle ESC & motor.

The first time I broke 100mph I got a full on endorphin rush and knew that speed running was going to be the framework that dictates and shapes the content of my online shopping baskets for the foreseeable future. There has been no sign of losing interest in the pursuit of a more comprehensive understanding of my vehicle(s) and what can be done to make them run better.

As some have already mentioned, the move to the lower voltages of 3S and 4S have been foundational to my learning process and nothing else has had even remotely as big of an effect on both tuning and driving. I cannot conceivably recommend going down this path more for anyone who is contemplating getting into speed running or, perhaps, has recently begun.

My first year into the hobby I was 100% off road park basher.enjoyed tall geared 75 mph senton 6s,8s Mojave, noto,typhons..then 1 day I decided to try for 100mph with slammed notorious with max6 an tp4050-2100kv..by the time I ran a 8s 100mph pass with it I was hooked to the speed,power,sound an hand-shaking high it gave me.then I started realizing how much science,physics,patience, an hours of research an wrenching is involved...I feel like I concoured off road bashing,but speedrunning is something I'll never concour or never quit learning how to progress..I've learned sooo much ,yet I feel like I don't know $hit..lol

Speed running is all about pushing the envelope. You never know how it will turn out. It definitely woke up my taste for this hobby.
But like I stated earlier I also got that same adrenaline rush running my RC10L Pand car in the early 1990's. 60+ mph was a rush back then.
KT is great for a laugh and light hearted fun. Entertaining absolutely in his own right. I personally never learned anything from him, except how to break any rig I have, if that s what I want.
Just that I already know how to do that.:LOL: It's not rocket science. KT does offer knowledge to those new guys on the block. And all with his shock and awe.

Speed running is all about pushing the envelope. You never know how it will turn out. It definitely woke up my taste for this hobby.
But like I stated earlier I also got that same adrenaline rush running my RC10L Pand car in the early 1990's. 60+ mph was a rush back then.
KT is great for a laugh and light hearted fun. Entertaining absolutely in his own right. I personally never learned anything from him, except how to break any rig I have, if that s what I want.
Just that I already know how to do that.:LOL: It's not rocket science. KT does offer knowledge to those new guys on the block. And all with his shock and awe.
I like KT content also,he does alot of stuff I can't afford to try.i love pushing them till I find weak links...his last vid I watched where he completely rebuilt raminator tranny then went out an sent it at skatepark...no way I could afford that kinda fun...lol

KT has some fabrication skills, he is entertaining for sure and a great durability tester. But I wouldn't call him methodical. But still one of the best advocates for the hobby.

The down side is that you see him send a $1000 car off a ramp and make it look easy. So we think it's easy and quickly ruin our cars. What we don't realize is that he has so much more experience driving and repairing RC's than any us will every have.

then 1 day I decided to try for 100mph with slammed notorious with max6 an tp4050-2100kv..by the time I ran a 8s 100mph pass with it I was hooked to the speed,power,sound an hand-shaking high it gave me.
A 15lb car coming towards you at 100 MPH. Yeah, it's a bit scary.

KT has some fabrication skills, he is entertaining for sure and a great durability tester. But I wouldn't call him methodical. But still one of the best advocates for the hobby.

The down side is that you see him send a $1000 car off a ramp and make it look easy. So we think it's easy and quickly ruin our cars. What we don't realize is that he has so much more experience driving and repairing RC's than any us will every have.

A 15lb car coming towards you at 100 MPH. Yeah, it's a bit scary.
Here's noto that got me hooked.it was lighten big time.under 9lbs ..still have an run a very similar noto setup to this one..love the noto body..

20210109_022032.jpg

20210109_021858.jpg

20210222_020650.jpg

20210222_020752.jpg

KT has much $$$ to piss on this Hobby. This investement is what made him successful. That is what makes him different and lackidasical regarding wrecking his Rigs. Realistcially, The average Joe Rc'er simply cannot keep up with that. Only A celeb RC'er does this for the most part, getting many upgrade parts and kits for free at that. Sure this promotes the hobby. Just how realistic is it however?
KT and many Celebs, not all, have good driving skills, that comes with practice. Most new to the hobby and in awe of KT, get frustrated. So many RC brands get mis-characterized with regard to durability.
This is why I don't really agree with what he states are the durable brands and models out there. If you read between the lines, he can be hypocritical at times. He has backpeddled many times.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back