Senton Why do aluminum hexes do better than plastic hexes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a tendancy to round off and then strip the wheel hex. This is why they are only used on the mega platforms. You may get away with it on the senton due to the small wheel size. The aluminum set is $2.70 at Jennys......worth it.

I would have answered, "Because they're made out of metal". But that's just me. :)
+1(y)
But some will argue that Plastic Composite is lighter depending on its application for any real benefit.
For bashing, Alloy metal is always better. And "clamping" Alloy hexes are probably best.

+1(y)
But some will argue that Plastic Composite is lighter depending on its application for any real benefit.
For bashing, Alloy metal is always better. And "clamping" Alloy hexes are probably best.
I might be able to follow that argument if we were talking about saving a half pound but how much could we possibly be talking about here? 19 grams?

I've been using plastic hexes with 4s no problems yet.
I switched to aluminum hexes on my 12mm car and it rounded out all the plastic hubs. In particular the ones that come with my Prolines. I have since moved back to plastic because it's way cheaper to replace a little hex than have to call it a day because I have to buy new wheel hubs (that cost $12 for four of them, and two are the wrong offset so are utterly useless) and swap it out.

Sure there's operator error involved sometimes (ie. under-tightening the wheel nut so the hexes lose contact patch with the hub and strip it out) but over enough time they will wreck the plastic. I especially don't like how the proline hubs (that I linked earlier) have such a shallow contact patch to the hexes. Makes it so easy to strip if the wheel nut isn't dialed in exactly perfect.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back