Why do you RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xjeepguy

Super-Secret Yarmaluthe
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Notorious
I’ve been in the hobby on and off for 35 years. My first hobby grade RC was a Kyosho Javelin in 1986. I was out of it for the past few years, but recently got back into it.

Two years ago my wife was diagnosed with cancer. At first her prognosis was good, she did the radiation and chemo, and everything was going well, or so we thought. Last July her scans showed the cancer had spread, and they gave her two years. The fear and worry had taken over my life to the point I could barely function. I almost started smoking again after not having a cigarette for 7 years. Then I dug out an old ECX I had in the attic. I put a new body on it and installed an old HoBao brushless system in it and started running it. It allowed me to think about something other than the cancer for once, and my wife has since encouraged me to keep on bashing. Then came the Kraton, then the Mojave, then the SCTE 3.0, and I have a Lasernut on layaway. It’s crazy how these things multiply like rabbits lol.

I realized that every time I’ve been through something bad in my life, I’ve coped with it through this hobby. Maybe I’m just weird, but there’s more to it than just having a truck and bashing it.

My wife is still hanging in there and we are still fighting this together, and will never give up hope.

So do you RC just for fun, or do you use it as a really expensive crutch like me? I’m curious to see if I’m the only one.
(Sorry for the long post)

I needed a hobby. I can no longer do my life long love of a cycling due to a fused cervical spin and bad nerve damage. I needed something that I enjoyed with the same kind of passion and this works so well. I like driving the cars very much, but I love working on them more than I can express. Keeps my mind sharp…keeps me from going crazy. My wife and family understand this and fully support my hobby and even join me with it.

I needed a hobby. I can no longer do my life long love of a cycling due to a fused cervical spin and bad nerve damage. I needed something that I enjoyed with the same kind of passion and this works so well. I like driving the cars very much, but I love working on them more than I can express. Keeps my mind sharp…keeps me from going crazy. My wife and family understand this and fully support my hobby and even join me with it.
I totally get that. It’s cool that your family Joins in.
Glad you’re wife is hanging in there!

I do it because being an adult just sucks sometimes. It’s a great stress relief. Sometimes the wrenching even more than the driving IMO.
Yeah, I find myself taking My trucks apart and tinkering even when they don’t need it.

For me personally I do it for many reasons. I really like working w/ my hands, I love the problem solving aspects (I also love to do jigsaw puzzles & crossword puzzles- to me an rc car is like a 3d jigsaw puzzle), I can appreciate the engineering that goes into these vehicles. That is just some of the more physical aspects but there are many more mental/emotional & therapeutic sides to the hobby as well. Whether it be nostalgia (remembering playing w/ my 1st toy Nikko that I kept @ my dad's house), or the concentration that it takes to drive the car well (something that is extremely elusive to me), or like you said- just being a distraction from difficulties in life. Sometimes it's just as simple as me wanting to do something (relatively) clean & wholesome that puts a big sh*t eating grin on my face!!😃
I don't think there's anything to apologize for, you asked a somewhat broad yet extremely in depth question. It means many different things to many different people 🙂🤜👍
& it's just plain damn fun🤣

For me personally I do it for many reasons. I really like working w/ my hands, I love the problem solving aspects (I also love to do jigsaw puzzles & crossword puzzles- to me an rc car is like a 3d jigsaw puzzle), I can appreciate the engineering that goes into these vehicles. That is just some of the more physical aspects but there are many more mental/emotional & therapeutic sides to the hobby as well. Whether it be nostalgia (remembering playing w/ my 1st toy Nikko that I kept @ my dad's house), or the concentration that it takes to drive the car well (something that is extremely elusive to me), or like you said- just being a distraction from difficulties in life. Sometimes it's just as simple as me wanting to do something (relatively) clean & wholesome that puts a big sh*t eating grin on my face!!😃
I don't think there's anything to apologize for, you asked a somewhat broad yet extremely in depth question. It means many different things to many different people 🙂🤜👍
& it's just plain damn fun🤣
Right on man, I’m starting to think I’m not alone.

I’m a very hands on technical person. I’m a big 1:1 guy but ever since getting a family, I’ve sold them all off. I barely have time to wipe my butt and the little time I do find I tinker w the cars. I’ve easily spent 4x as much time tearing down and tinkering than driving and I’m ok w that.

Now my step son loves it and it’s the only thing we really connect on, though he has zero mechanical skills or patience to work on them yet, gives me something to do.

Right on man, I’m starting to think I’m not alone.
You 100% are not, just thinking about those wkends spent @ my dad's house driving that cheap little car around the farm w/ dad giggling as much as I was kinda choked me up a little bit- not gonna lie🥲

Ah, with most of the forum dedicated to the how and the what of R/C, now we're finally getting to the deeper philosophical question of why.

I got back into it because it's a relatively cheap and small way to satisfy my need to tinker freely with something that provides an interesting and usually energetic payoff, and there's also an aspect of nostalgic attachment from when I was younger. I think that explains most of my current interest.

Why do I rc... when I was 12 my dad challenged me to read 40 books (like big sized books) and he would get me a pellet gun (like one of the pellet guns that has the power of a .22). Long story short my dad found out those guns aren't practical... so he changed it and said he would get me an rc car. fast forward to covid, me with no hobby and an rc car that doesn't work.

First of all, glad to hear your wife is still fighting a good fight and still here with you!

For some folks spending thousand$ on a set of golf clubs & annual membership, some go skiing at their private resort in Aspen, some like skydiving off their private planes.. Hell for some it's about their custom 100ft yachts.. Nothing wrong with all that.

For me, I keep it simple.. a couple of good RC vehicles that I can tinker with and modifying them then go rip around the yard or park. I'm happy.
Love to work with my hands, keeps my mind sharp and Like all my tools!

Hope your wife makes it through!

Ever since I was a young teen I've been interested in the hobby. Back then nitro was better than electric, but I couldn't afford to buy either. Every couple of years I'd wish I could get one until I'd forget about them again. Last October I started thinking about it again and realized I could finally afford to jump in and so I did, decades late but that's okay. I'm having tons of fun now and I get a real thrill out of going fast or catching some air. Thankfully I found an awesome girl who can find enjoyment in the hobby with me.

I’m in recovery from drugs, and everyone kept saying get a hobby, do something. So I chose rc’s and I’ve never been happier then I was able to get my puppy I’ve been longing for for 10 years since my last 2 dogs passed. So rc‘s basically helped me move past a horrible life style and into a positive place in my life.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back