Why do you RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been in this hobby for almost 2 years and go to the park whit my wife that's she's a frimbomalgia patient give her something to no think in what happen on her body.i love the rc community and wrench on the cars I love it,9 cars and my younger kid is 18 and planning to start to work so wife and I go to the park only us,a least she drive the Mojave 6s and she love to pull the trigger full.keep up guys is a good thing to keep minds occupied. God Bless everyone

I RC to slow down and temporarily clear my mind of everything else going on in life. It’s good therapy and only costs a tiny fraction of what I used to spend building and racing 1:1 cars competitively.

Visited corp headquarters in 2019 a co-work was talking about his RC and I said...man never had the money to buy one younger but I remember the off-road races in the park back in the late 80's.

The next day he brought his Traxxas Maxx and a few other rigs for me to drive in a local field after the meeting. For the old guy, it sparked something I just forget about!

I wanted a Traxxas on the spot. He said NO and mind you he is all Traxxas. He taught me how to look at RCs and places I could run one before purchasing anything...

He specifically told me to look at Arrma they were doing some great stuff over Traxxas so to be open. When I got home and after a few weeks of research I purchased the Infraction v1 loving it as my first ever since! Plenty of open lots but little dirt areas around me.

Empty nest kids are out of college so gives me something to do.

Is it really?
You've seen some of these guys cars.

I know I spend more money on rc stuff a month than I do my "medication".

Happy Half Baked GIF

I’m in recovery from drugs, and everyone kept saying get a hobby, do something. So I chose rc’s and I’ve never been happier then I was able to get my puppy I’ve been longing for for 10 years since my last 2 dogs passed. So rc‘s basically helped me move past a horrible life style and into a positive place in my life.
That’s awesome man, stick with it, and I’m glad you got clean!

Well once at band camp.......

I had a nitro as a young adult before brushless motors and lipos were a thing. So the nitro engine died and at the time, I couldn't afford a replacement so I fell out of the hobby.

Years later my son got a Senton which was/is great fun. My mother inlaw wanted so much for me to have an RC as well, to play along with my son that she funded it. Awesome hey. That started my Arrma addiction. So it's her fault😆.

These days I can afford the hobby so my collection has grown. It's a hobby I can do at home anytime and I can stop anytime if I have other duties to do. Also I don't rely on others to be able to do the hobby. Most my friends and family do shift work including myself so it's hard to find time we're both available.

I enjoy every part of this hobby. The wrenching, running them, bashing, research and shopping.

The family I have made here on this forum is a real bonus too.

So long story to short, I got back into hobby to have a common interest with my son.

Last edited:
Cuz I'm too old to be jumping dirt bikes and too broke to be jumping 1:1 trucks🤣🤣🍻
TBH, my affliction with rc's goes back to early childhood. I have a brother whose 5 years older than I so..it's really his fault🤔🤣🤣
What I love is that we're in our 50's now and still battling it out with our rc's on the weekends 😁🤠🤣

I am very restless and always need a project to tinker with.
I have owned around 30 1:1 cars and always felt frustrated that I couldn't afford to do the things I wanted to with them. (Making a crazy time attack car for example. I have avoided starting such a project because I know that I would rarely get the chance/time to use it)
RC cars bridges that gap at a lower cost and allows me to do some crazy 3d printing/design creations. The speed side of the hobby is extremely technical with many challenges, so it has been a fun hobby for me, and has scratched that itch better than I expected it to.

"Idle hands are the devil's workshop."
I've always been a hands on kind of guy but this had become particularly true after I quit drinking 9 years ago. While I was in detox we had workshop style therapy 2 or 3 times a week where I discovered soapstone which set a new passion for hand crafting and making things as good as I can get them in motion. I also quit smoking and started vaping and became obsessed with coil building. I've been building/restoring guitars, began making letter openers from branches and for the last year+ it has been my Infraction. What can I say...I have an addictive personality. I just chose to replace my destructive addictions with constructive ones (until I Tony Ingalls my car, but I think you understand what I mean).
first one.jpg

first one with stand.jpg

katana unsheathed.jpg

"Idle hands are the devil's workshop."
I've always been a hands on kind of guy but this had become particularly true after I quit drinking 9 years ago. While I was in detox we had workshop style therapy 2 or 3 times a week where I discovered soapstone which set a new passion for hand crafting and making things as good as I can get them in motion. I also quit smoking and started vaping and became obsessed with coil building. I've been building/restoring guitars, began making letter openers from branches and for the last year+ it has been my Infraction. What can I say...I have an addictive personality. I just chose to replace my destructive addictions with constructive ones (until I Tony Ingalls my car, but I think you understand what I mean).
View attachment 219971
View attachment 219972
View attachment 219973
Wow, those are awesome! I grew up woodworking, and I definitely appreciate hand crafted things. Good for you to get clean too.

Great workmanship on the letter opener. I am very similar in becoming passionate about one thing then the next. I often find researching the subject to be enough, due to funding issues on some of my interests, like Flying rigid inflatable boats, I love the idea of doing it, but don‘t and most likely won’t have the funding in my lifetime for them 😂. Other things included in my youth building pool cues and repairing them. I managed to get into shaft refurbishing, tip replacement, and ferrells but did not have the expensive equipment to go big lol so I was happy with my little part.
But with rc’s you can do so much without a huge budge. I don’t need to find $5k-$10k to start.
anyway good job on t drinking and again nice work..

Wow, those are awesome! I grew up woodworking, and I definitely appreciate hand crafted things. Good for you to get clean too.
Thanks man :)
Great workmanship on the letter opener. I am very similar in becoming passionate about one thing then the next. I often find researching the subject to be enough, due to funding issues on some of my interests, like Flying rigid inflatable boats, I love the idea of doing it, but don‘t and most likely won’t have the funding in my lifetime for them 😂. Other things included in my youth building pool cues and repairing them. I managed to get into shaft refurbishing, tip replacement, and ferrells but did not have the expensive equipment to go big lol so I was happy with my little part.
But with rc’s you can do so much without a huge budge. I don’t need to find $5k-$10k to start.
anyway good job on t drinking and again nice work..
Flying rigid inflatable boats? You mean like Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom?
1653661014608.png

And thanks man, I appreciate it :)

Last edited:
I've been into RC since my 20's. Used to race 30 years ago when Nicads were all we had. Tried fixed wing and heli's for a while, but got back into surface RC cause they don't usually disintegrate when they land.:rolleyes: Well, usually. Like others, I enjoy working on them almost as much as driving them, and it's a great distraction from reality. Best wishes to you and your wife. Try to keep a positive attitude and don't give up.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back