Why do you RC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet RC collection. Dam nice track also , well groomed.(y)
Thanks! That was month 1 - lol... you'll see what it looks like post-winter/pre spring when I start my "build" thread. Lol It's a hot mess right now! Lol

I’ve been in the hobby on and off for 35 years. My first hobby grade RC was a Kyosho Javelin in 1986. I was out of it for the past few years, but recently got back into it.

Two years ago my wife was diagnosed with cancer. At first her prognosis was good, she did the radiation and chemo, and everything was going well, or so we thought. Last July her scans showed the cancer had spread, and they gave her two years. The fear and worry had taken over my life to the point I could barely function. I almost started smoking again after not having a cigarette for 7 years. Then I dug out an old ECX I had in the attic. I put a new body on it and installed an old HoBao brushless system in it and started running it. It allowed me to think about something other than the cancer for once, and my wife has since encouraged me to keep on bashing. Then came the Kraton, then the Mojave, then the SCTE 3.0, and I have a Lasernut on layaway. It’s crazy how these things multiply like rabbits lol.

I realized that every time I’ve been through something bad in my life, I’ve coped with it through this hobby. Maybe I’m just weird, but there’s more to it than just having a truck and bashing it.

My wife is still hanging in there and we are still fighting this together, and will never give up hope.

So do you RC just for fun, or do you use it as a really expensive crutch like me? I’m curious to see if I’m the only one.
(Sorry for the long post)
God bless you man.
Why am I in this hobby? I don’t really know, it’s something I’m drawn to. It’s something I enjoy myself because there is no one else around me in the hobby that I know of. I have never been handy or good at working on things but I have learned how to work on my RC and and I get a lot of satisfaction from that.

Last edited:
For me te hobby is so much more than driving a car. Being into the hobby has multiple reasons. I think the real reason for me is to get my head of the daily stuff. Just breaking out as it work as a pressure relief for me. Just being in the moment. As being an engineer I always loved technology. And from being a kid I loved cars. Here it all comes together. The hobby gives me so much. I love the wrenching, the racing (onroad and off road) designing and making parts. Thinking and understanding the physics. Setting up a car and understand what all the setup variables do. Just one big jigsaw I love to figure out. Going out with my friends. Rc with my kids. It's all there. So maybe we all rc enthousiast are weird. Having a lot of weird people together makes us normal again I guess, however I do think there is nothing weird about being weird....just keep enjoying it!

I’ve been in the hobby on and off for 35 years. My first hobby grade RC was a Kyosho Javelin in 1986. I was out of it for the past few years, but recently got back into it.

Two years ago my wife was diagnosed with cancer. At first her prognosis was good, she did the radiation and chemo, and everything was going well, or so we thought. Last July her scans showed the cancer had spread, and they gave her two years. The fear and worry had taken over my life to the point I could barely function. I almost started smoking again after not having a cigarette for 7 years. Then I dug out an old ECX I had in the attic. I put a new body on it and installed an old HoBao brushless system in it and started running it. It allowed me to think about something other than the cancer for once, and my wife has since encouraged me to keep on bashing. Then came the Kraton, then the Mojave, then the SCTE 3.0, and I have a Lasernut on layaway. It’s crazy how these things multiply like rabbits lol.

I realized that every time I’ve been through something bad in my life, I’ve coped with it through this hobby. Maybe I’m just weird, but there’s more to it than just having a truck and bashing it.

My wife is still hanging in there and we are still fighting this together, and will never give up hope.

So do you RC just for fun, or do you use it as a really expensive crutch like me? I’m curious to see if I’m the only one.
Wish you all the best. Tried the same with my mother and in my eyes the doctors fiddlesticked up as she had internal bleedings because most of her cancer went back. But instead of sewing they used staples. She died last year. All in all it was also probably to much for her (several operations on after the other).

Concerning the hobby. I had a rc car as a kid and then never again touched one. After many years gaming on PC and Playstation I had the feeling to do something else. I was looking for something to be outside and was browsing some sides and stumbled over a rc crawler shop. That made me thinking.
RC car and walking at the same time would be fun. So my first car was a defender from T-Brand, which I sold after those law suites, and from there I got after about 4 year about 21 cars. Some of them are new some of them are vintage. I like vintage cars. Still got 2 projects to finish. I wont get out of it as its my ile of recovery. To be alone in my 45m2 hobby room is great.

Love the mechanical part of it the most. Worked at Rider's Hobby for ten yrs then HobbyTown for 2. Had a RC club for 8 yrs and we got to be part of the Monster Jam 3 times. Had a rc repair business at home for 15 yrs. Just quit doing that this week so I can run and work on my own toys and get the honey-do list taken care of. My dr says its great therapy for me to deal with anxiety and depression. I've always loved mechanical stuff. I've always had a hard time understanding why some guys buy these cars and just run them I don't want to work on them. That's half of the hobby.

Last edited:
I started rc late in life, had a cox powered Vette as a kid though. A group of my beer drinking buddies got into it so we drank on weekends and bashed cars. Didn't realize what I was missing all those years. Was instantly addicted and mesmerized by such toys.

That was nearly twenty years ago. A good friend told me one night, "Man I'll be doing this the rest of my life". I knew what he was trying to get across.

For me it's hard to explain why I do this, but there's something special when you run a remote controlled vehicle with a radio in your hand combined with so much power and technology, something that wasn't existent when I was a kid.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back