Why do you think this is an "old man" hobby?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grihn

It's small, but it's fierce!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Felony
  3. Infraction
  4. Outcast 4s
  5. Senton 6s
  6. Senton 3s
  7. Vendetta
  8. Vorteks
  9. Voltage
This is a little tounge-in-cheek, but it holds some truth. It seems like the majority of people in this hobby are on the second half of their life. Of course, we have all ages here, but the whippet-sniffers are in the minority. Why do you think that is?

Money? Maybe, but there are plenty of cheap RCs out there and kids will spend $60+ on a single video game

Too active? I mean, it's not like it's a sport, but you do have to leave your couch.

Too real? Maybe a Twitter-based RC game would draw them in? 🤣

I'm 14 and hooked. Not a day goes by and I don't go down to make sure their isn't any dust on my bodies. I am not even kidding. About to turn 15 soon. Hopefully, I always will have time in my life for this hobby. It's not about having time, it's about making it. It just rained here in Canada for like 2 days in a row and then we get a nice layer of snow. Actually pissing me off. I wanna drive my outcast to see what around $1200 got me but I can't even do that:rolleyes:

This is a little tounge-in-cheek, but it holds some truth. It seems like the majority of people in this hobby are on the second half of their life. Of course, we have all ages here, but the whippet-sniffers are in the minority. Why do you think that is?

Money? Maybe, but there are plenty of cheap RCs out there and kids will spend $60+ on a single video game

Too active? I mean, it's not like it's a sport, but you do have to leave your couch.

Money does help... :)

If I had to answer for my best friends since the 80s and my brother who are all NOW into the hobby for all as starting in 2020:

1. It took someone to reintroduce us back to me to remind us they still exist....time, work, life, now grown kids we just forgot about the hobby that we saw as kids decades ago

2. Money made it easier since we have it now....broke as a young man and young adult. When I started working min wage was $3.25 in the late '80s in the south. It was hard to live and begin a family so no room for toys
3. Personally for me, the hobby appeals to my technical since where I like to break things down to see how they work, test, tweak, experiment....maybe why I am an IT Engineer :)

At 49 with all grown children, I have time I did not have...no more games, homework, project, practice, recitals, school trips, etc...NOTHING! Thank God so leaves me with some change in my pocket 🤣

Money does help... :)

If I had to answer for my best friends since the 80s and my brother who are NOW into the hobby for all as starting in 2020:

1. It took someone to reintroduce us back to me to remind us they still exist....time, work, life, now grown kids we just forgot about the hobby that we say as kids decades ago

2. Money made it easier since we have it now....broke as a young man and young adult. When I started working min wage was $3.25 in the late '80s in the south. It was hard to live and begin a family so no room for toys
3. Personally for me, the hobby appeals to my technical since where I like to break things down to see how they work, test, tweak, experiment....maybe why I am an IT Engineer :)

At 49 with all grown children, I have time I did not have...no more games, homework, project, practice, recitals, school trips, etc...NOTHING! Thank God so leaves me with some change in my pocket 🤣
All that matters is that you are here with us and spend money:ROFLMAO:

I'd have to go with the money and time factor.

When I was younger, I'd look at RC's and see what it would cost me to get up and running with what I wanted, if it was too much as it was back then I'd say fug it. That would be that until I got that itch again.

Now at 47, I have the money to buy anything I want to build or do, I just don't have the time or BUG as bad anymore.

Funny how that works! When your younger and want the best, fastest poop available you can't afford it, at least I couldn't. Now when I can afford it, I don't want it. 🤷‍♂️

Most kids are locked into social media and video games which we “old fogies “ didn’t have growing up. Makes me so happy to see people introducing kids to rc. Sad to say my nephew a mechanical engineering student asked for help checking his oil.
When he was young I bought him a basic stampede and told him I’d pay for any hop up he wanted trying to get him involved unfortunately my plan failed. We need to get kids busy doing mechanical things to get this country rolling on new innovations. The funny thing he’s now hoping to get a job with a major car manufacturer.
For me growing up was an endless barrage of cutting and Raking lawns painting fences ect. Money was spent on model airplanes and Cox fuel. Riding my bike all day and just plain being outside.
lt seems that now with both parents working and all of the creeps around that many kids don’t have the opportunity to go out on there own like I did.
I don’t think it’s a money thing most of the time many enabling parents get there kids a abundance of anything like a kid showing up for tball dressed like a pro with two bats a personal batting Helmet and a 200$ glove All tucked into into a designer backpack.
Many more dynamics going on but thats My rant for now.
If a kid wants to know about a car or plane I am using I’ll go out of my way to let them give it a try trying to fuel the interest.
Grihn I noticed your a Military vet and I want to thank you for your service to this country

I'm 14 and hooked. Not a day goes by and I don't go down to make sure their isn't any dust on my bodies. I am not even kidding. About to turn 15 soon. Hopefully, I always will have time in my life for this hobby. It's not about having time, it's about making it. It just rained here in Canada for like 2 days in a row and then we get a nice layer of snow. Actually pissing me off. I wanna drive my outcast to see what around $1200 got me but I can't even do that:rolleyes:
Did you pay for the cars yourself? I'm also about 15, so I can't really get the cars for myself :)

All the above
I bought one for my 12 year old to run with me it's got an inch worth of dust on it he says he likes it but most time he's playing video games online with his buddies

Last edited:
I think anyone who has found this hobby always had the want in them and finally got the time and coin to make it happen.
I also think that the younger guys have that certain mechanically inclined skill that if not fulfilled will someday be brought back into the hobby later on in life or find it for the first time and wish they had found it sooner.
It can be a challenging hobby compared to most and I feel the younger crowd either don't have the need or want for it in their young always looking for hotties life.:ROFLMAO:

My nephew loves his rustler...but brings it to me when it breaks looking like he never put any effort into keeping it in shape to run good. I think its typical to be amazed and have fun with what these cars can do, but for most younger guys, its not worth the time to get into it on our level. I like seeing the young guys who are into it and I hope they stay into it throughout life as much as possible.

Grihn I noticed your a Military vet and I want to thank you for your service to this country
+1
my dad was a marine nothing but the utmost respect for the military thank you doesn't do it the service it deserves
sincerely thank you

When he was young I bought him a basic stampede and told him I’d pay for any hop up he wanted trying to get him involved unfortunately my plan failed. We need to get kids busy doing mechanical things to get this country rolling on new innovations. The funny thing he’s now hoping to get a job with a major car manufacturer.
For me growing up was an endless barrage of cutting and Raking lawns painting fences ect. Money was spent on model airplanes and Cox fuel. Riding my bike all day and just plain being outside.
Sir did you bring back memories

I forgot about that....the little money I did get I took to the neighborhood store for balsa wood airplanes. Some were just planes you put together but I was in love with the ones that had the rubber band and propeller. We played with those for hours until the woos split! Mine you grabbing a box of Boston Baked Beans and Lemon heads candy as we left the store!

It was a time of riding bikes as you said. We had to put the links back in the chain, adjust brakes, neck, seat, adjust handlebars, etc...if you jumped it you were going to break something...meant also learning to fix your own bike.

I’m one of those old guys - I’m 72, and I got in the hobby when I was 64. Money and time make it easier, and it’s a hobby I can do with a bad back.
Yes Sir....this post alone is just grand...inspiring. Always a kid at heart (y)

I think anyone who has found this hobby always had the want in them and finally got the time and coin to make it happen.
I also think that the younger guys have that certain mechanically inclined skill that if not fulfilled will someday be brought back into the hobby later on in life or find it for the first time and wish they had found it sooner.
It can be a challenging hobby compared to most and I feel the younger crowd either don't have the need or want for it in their young always looking for hotties life.:ROFLMAO:

My nephew loves his rustler...but brings it to me when it breaks looking like he never put any effort into keeping it in shape to run good. I think its typical to be amazed and have fun with what these cars can do, but for most younger guys, its not worth the time to get into it on our level. I like seeing the young guys who are into it and I hope they stay into it throughout life as much as possible.

Yes Sir!

I'll also go with money and time. I had a 2 different inexpensive RC's at different points in time when I was young, but once they broke, that was it, done. $300+ for a hobby grade is alot for a kid. No way my parents would spend that much on a present and there were alot of other things to buy with my own money. And that's not even considering the maintenance cost. I still don't like wrenching, but as a kid, I would never have had the patience.

The one thing that keeps me going in RC is the desire to do my own upgrades and maintenance. I enjoy tinkering almost more than I enjoy running. That wouldn’t have happened when I was younger - I wouldn’t have had the patience. The only thing I dislike is soldering.

Did you pay for the cars yourself? I'm also about 15, so I can't really get the cars for myself :)
My first car was a senton 3s. Paid for everything done to it to get it to 97mph. Next was my Granite and I paid for 60% of it all. I got some parts from a very nice member on here for free. Next is the outcast which a member sold to me as a Frankenstein for 110 USD with shipping. Built it with whatever I had. Save up, spend and drive wisely.

idk I've been in rc since 1986 so i don't think it's money not for me anyway.

A few factors I can think of that may explain why it's trending this way:

1. It's a relatively cheap form of motorsport that is fun and doesn't require a high degree of physical ability, which appeals to older gearheads and tinkerers.

2. Older people are more likely to have been exposed to motorsports when they were young than younger people are today. I haven't looked for any studies on the topic but I would guess car enthusiasts, motocross and other forms of racing are greying out as well. Demographics are shifting and interests are changing. Fewer gearheads are being made.

3. Kind of an extension of point 2, it's harder for R/C to compete in the entertainment economy. I would wager most of us got into it when we were young and are here now because we maintained or rekindled that interest. In past decades we didn't have highly realistic video games, smartphones, YouTube, on-demand TV series and movies and all sorts of other things to capture our attention. Certainly there are still smart and mechanically/technically inclined youth who won't be satisfied languishing in a chair glued to a screen and some of them will end up in this hobby, but it's a smaller proportion than in the past. In other words, the population pyramid of R/C enthusiasts is wide near the top, narrow near the bottom.

4. Cost of housing in countries where R/C is popular (US, Canada, Australia, western Europe) has risen so dramatically over the past generation that few young people are able (or will ever be able at the current rate) to buy or even rent property with enough space to store, work on and drive R/Cs. If you're older you're more likely to have acquired property when it was cheaper and made money to spend on R/C from the subsequent housing booms, and also more likely to have survived the financial crisis of 2008 without being wiped out.

Personally, money has quite a bit to do with it. My first job paid $3.55 an hour and affording this hobby was much harder then than it is now.

Timing also had something to do with it - I was also right at the cusp of the changeover from remote controlled cars to radio controlled cars and there was something magical about cars being controlled through thin air. Also key, I think is the technological advancements in battery technology. My first RC was a 49 MHz Lobo RC car from Sears that ran on AA batteries. It took about 14 hours to charge and I got about 20 minutes of runtime on it. Can't imagine people dealing with that nowadays.

i have one of them sears lobo got mine in 86 or 7 i think. i still have it to this day

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back