Why do you think this is an "old man" hobby?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the money being reason.
It was like child-dream for me too and my parents could not afford it. Similar with stuff like pocket bikes that we all wanted back then.
Now that I have a son and also some extra money, so it was perfect opportunity.

He started driving his first hobbygrade 1/12 monster truck at his 3rd birthday.
No hes turning 4 soon and driving the Mojave at 3S/50S with confidence. Could not be more proud!
He loves it, but for example crawling is boring him very soon, so no expeditions for us yet : )

Also I don't think it works like "here, have a expensive car, enjoy" and they will.
Kids have MUCH more choices to have fun that we did and lot of them sadly involve virtual reality.
So from my perspective its lot more about the time you spend with them enjoying the hobby.

Anyways, wish me luck that he shares it with me for many many years.

How are you defining "old man"? I can't think of a single kid that isn't fascinated by RC. Period.

My son was 3 when he was hooked on his little $10 wall rider RC toy. Yeah it broke and stopped working soon, but when it was working, it captured his attention longer than lots of other things. Everyone person I meet thinks RC's are awesome. From the kids or dads, or sometimes even moms that are walking by when I run my trucks. I think there's just always that barrier to entry about knowing what hobby grade is and knowing how to get into the hobby. Or perhaps thinking there is a huge money investment. But that applies to anyone, regardless of age.

School and social life is going to consume most young adults lives (12-25 year), and that's probably appropriate. Once you have kids or settle down in life (get into your career), you're less social, and probably looking for hobbies. That's likely why you'll see more "old people" on here than teenagers or young adults. You probably won't see many 8 year olds on here either :)

For me it's money, opportunity/time, and my kids. I also raced modified and late model 1:1 cars on paved ovals when I was late teens/early 20s. Motocross, ATVs, snowmobiles - always running/fixing motorized vehicles.

Now I am 51, have 3 kids and live in a townhouse in a city. I don't have a big yard or access to trails/wilderness or a big garage and the time and money to go racing. But my 3 kids enjoy RC, I enjoy teaching them and fixing stuff, and this is an area with lots of construction so there are plenty of spots to run within 5 minutes walk all the time. Skate park within 10 minute walk too for launching rigs.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back