Talion Why does my center diff case have a groove like it's rubbing on something?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finfan88

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I noticed that my center diff cup or case has a Grove all the way around like it's rubbing, but I don't see how that's possible. Could it have been debris?

A rock got it there and eventually made its way back out, but not before leaving its mark. It happens from time to time
IMG_8785.JPG

There was a damp spot but I caught it in the post run inspection, so it didn't have time to leak out before I pulled it and threw a new cup on.

Good news is, it's a cheap plastic cup. What if it was one of those nice HR aluminum cups? Scarrrrry
Those hr cups suck i had 3 on all my diffs they wear out fast and bearings also like to get stuck on them i like the stock ones lol until someone comes out with a better aluminum one.

Those hr cups suck i had 3 on all my diffs they wear out fast and bearings also like to get stuck on them i like the stock ones lol until someone comes out with a better aluminum one.
Uh oh. I bought two for centers only. I'll keep an eye on those bearings, but I probably don't run as much as most people. I'll take em out every four or five runs or so, and clean and re-oil them. Gonna have one dedicated to 200k and one to 500k. Fingers crossed.

I have the hr cups in all 3x diffs in my Kraton and senton builds. Going the same route with typhon gt8 conversion. They have held up great in my Kraton with the power of the tp 4070cm 2200kv motor. I know if I did not run the hr cups the diffs would have grenaded. Going to tear down and do maintenance soon and will post pics. Sorry you had bad luck with yours.

I have the hr cups in all 3x diffs in my Kraton and senton builds. Going the same route with typhon gt8 conversion. They have held up great in my Kraton with the power of the tp 4070cm 2200kv motor. I know if I did not run the hr cups the diffs would have grenaded. Going to tear down and do maintenance soon and will post pics. Sorry you had bad luck with yours.
Yeah all 3 of mine wore out where the pin sits i even had a shim on between to reduce wear seems the aluminum is very soft so it eats up the o ring and you can no longer fit another in there

Attachments

• 15494647352816212794999512295221.jpg
    15494647352816212794999512295221.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 38
Yeah all 3 of mine wore out where the pin sits i even had a shim on between to reduce wear seems the aluminum is very soft so it eats up the o ring and you can no longer fit another in there
Not having a steel insert for the output shaft end, I could see that as an issue. Nova used to make diffs for the savage/tmaxx/revo out of 7075 aluminum which was harder and held up better.

Surprised there aren't any diff cases that are a 2 piece design with the steel end cap and aluminum circle for the cup part. OFNA used to make some, but they didn't have steel inserts for the X pins I don't think.

Not having a steel insert for the output shaft end, I could see that as an issue. Nova used to make diffs for the savage/tmaxx/revo out of 7075 aluminum which was harder and held up better.

Surprised there aren't any diff cases that are a 2 piece design with the steel end cap and aluminum circle for the cup part. OFNA used to make some, but they didn't have steel inserts for the X pins I don't think.
That would be nice if they added the steel insert kinda like the arrma diff cups except aluminum i really liked the hr diff cups but not the way wear out so fast.

Uh oh. I bought two for centers only. I'll keep an eye on those bearings, but I probably don't run as much as most people. I'll take em out every four or five runs or so, and clean and re-oil them. Gonna have one dedicated to 200k and one to 500k. Fingers crossed.
I didn't have a problem with the center diff bearings only the front and rear i think from the impacts it smashes the outdrive into the cup and flattens the aluminum around the bearing so it makes it really difficult to remove the bearing without damaging it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back