Why don't differentials use real grease

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rookie Rc question but why can't you put real super grease inside these diffs instead of silicone? Krator Grease in the Kraton Haha thanks

Good question 🤔
My thought today was simular. How much does the thicknesses of the grease matter that we put on the outside of our diffs?
I currently use Lucas Oil tacky red. So far I like it, but definitely thicker than what arrma or losi uses.

I just wonder if using real grease would make a difference making the gears last longer than using fake grease inside,

I am a mechanic by trade and i always have questions haha

On the outside, it doesn't matter. Your gears will break for other reasons before grease becomes an issue.
With the cheapest grease or none at all, it will probably last 10000 miles. You will break a tooth within 1-2 seasons. Doubt you will get that mileage 🤪

Petroleum based greases or oils can degrade plastic and rubber: the additives, thickeners, etc in particular. Since the majority of stock differentials have some sort of plastic case, plastic inserts, or rubber o-rings, using an inert oil like silicone oil inside the diff is preferred. On the outside, similar situation with exposure to plastics, but obviously oils aren't made to adhere like grease will, so a plastic safe grease is preferred. Though honestly, if it's at least plastic safe, i don't think it matters what you put on the outside gears of the diff as the majority of it will flinge off in short order when you spin the diff up to several thousand RPM; but that's just my opinion.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back