Kraton Why is my Kraton 6s V3 gears grinding upon excel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC Panther

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
20200211_130513_resized_1.jpg
20200213_150810_resized.jpg
20200213_152031_resized.jpg
20200213_152051_resized.jpg
20200213_211030_resized.jpg
20200213_233353_resized.jpg
20200213_233409_resized.jpg
Hello Guys I'm new to the hobby and purchased a Granite Mega, then purchased a used V3 Kraton, but the gears grind and I have lose of power once I really get on the trigger sounds like all of the teeth in my diffs are just grinding away and slipping over eachother, so I purchased 3 new HR diffs, changed out all internal gears, shimmed them the same as when I took apart, put in 30r/500c/60f oils turned down on the trigger the forward intensity and I still grinds and I lose the ability to wheelie so what have I done wrong or what am I doing wrong?…Please help bc every hobby shop has told me differently, and to be honest I'm about to toss this thing in the trash bc my Granite runs like a champ and offers much more driving pleasure. Please advise
Thanks

Did you reuse the front and rear ring and pinion on the difs? The ring gets a slight hard to see wear. Look for a couple teeth that are shorter, use a magnifier. This is almost always the problem.
I usually just buy complete difs assembled with housings. By the time you get the ring and input gears bought for just a few dollars you can get the whole thing from Jenny’s rc.

Last edited:
I had EXACTLY the same issue- no visible wear. Real pain in the but honestly. Because I’ve removed the entire bulkhead to correct the issue. Ended up swapping in a new complete gearbox case from Jenny’s RC and it cured the issue. Literally NOTHING else I did helped. I need to buy two new ring gears and the input gear. Thanks fully diffs are GTG still. Good luck- was mildly infuriating.

Add a shim to the input gear on the inside of the diff. These shims are harder to find due to size. Cured my slip issues.

If you want to throw it away throw it my way or tell me where your trashcan is located :p
That's the little gear in the pic but shim on the inside of the diff is needed.

Did you reuse the front and rear ring and pinion on the difs? The ring gets a slight hard to see wear. Look for a couple teeth that are shorter, use a magnifier. This is almost always the problem.
I usually just buy complete difs assembled with housings. By the time you get the ring and input gears bought for just a few dollars you can get the whole thing from Jenny’s rc.
Thanks Brother I will try this but Jenny’s rc is sold out of about 95% of her products, do you have another vendor you can refer?
Thanks again!
Panther

You might try emailing Jenny's. They are very good about communicating when they will get the next batch in.

I am echoing @Jimbobjr and @Manley00 replacing the diffs withe some new ones along with the plastic front and rear cases/bulkheads is quick when you have it all apart and likely will resolve the problem (most likely the rear from what I have seen)

Stick with it. The Kraton is amazing once you get this issue behind you...

I had EXACTLY the same issue- no visible wear. Real pain in the but honestly. Because I’ve removed the entire bulkhead to correct the issue. Ended up swapping in a new complete gearbox case from Jenny’s RC and it cured the issue. Literally NOTHING else I did helped. I need to buy two new ring gears and the input gear. Thanks fully diffs are GTG still. Good luck- was mildly infuriating.
How did the gear box changout fix the issue?, was there a small crack of some sort because I just ordered all new inside & out gear kits and will upgrade to a aluminum gearbox front and rear from HR or GPM if this will solve the issue. Taking the rig down over and over with no positive results has pissed me off but fun just not always time to do this and like a Range Rover I don't want to have to buy two so I can drive one while ones is always down I may move to a Traxxas rig. Because I'm new I took the advice of my friends telling me to go with Arrma projects but I have had nothing but issues with this Kraton and I've already dumped way to much money is parts with no fun time driving this. Any advise will help because Friday this baby goes on Craigslist.
Add a shim to the input gear on the inside of the diff. These shims are harder to find due to size. Cured my slip issues.

If you want to throw it away throw it my way or tell me where your trashcan is located :p
That's the little gear in the pic but shim on the inside of the diff is needed.
I wont lead you to this issue because you seem like an awesome dude LOL!, I did shim the internal gear set as well and the issues remain. One mans trash is another mans treasure lmao!

Last edited:
Thanks Brother I will try this but Jenny’s rc is sold out of about 95% of her products, do you have another vendor you can refer?
Thanks again!
Panther
Hey @RC Panther, eBay kit breaker would be the best bet if Jenny’s is out. There’s usually a few whole assemblies for around $35 or so. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...aton+d.TRS0&_nkw=kraton+differential&_sacat=0
When you rebuilt the diffs did you change out the ring AR310497 and input ARA310498 ? If not and there’s no cracks in your housing maybe just get the ring and input since you have those nice diff cups. Those seem to be the culprit for many of the grinding issues in threads here. I’ve been threw a couple myself so I try to keep a spare complete housing on hand. Hope you get it going.

Hey bro- sorry I missed this. The gearbox comes with ALL of the parts. Diff, gearbox, input. All new. Also- when you search products on Jennys make sure you check ALL of the 6s. Because it’s not there on a Kraton doesn’t mean it won’t be on a notorious.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back