Why is stock diff weight oil so “light”?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calabiyau

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I’m getting ready to change all my diff oils to what has been recommended here.

I guess I’ll experience the difference for myself once I do it but why does Arrma put such relatively “light” oils in the diffs compared to what the more experienced folks use?

For now, I’m just the monkey with a wrench and curiosity.

I think it comes from the Team Durango roots. For track work, 7k/10k/7k is good. And compared to that, the 100k in the Outcast is thick. But yeah, 300k from the factory would be nice.

Thicker oil is not a magic trick that makes everything better. Thicker oil makes the car harder to drive, and also stress the drivetrain as the energy from an impact has "nowhere to escape". Arrma does use thinker diff (100k) on the center diffs of the cars that needs it the most, on the Talion because it need to accelerate hard, and on the Outcast due to the need of air control.

People recommended 500,000 if you want the most power out of it. The con is it will handle less like a track car but more like American muscle drag car.
I ordered it but yet to have test it... we'll see how it goes. Why is 500,000 so damn hard to find?
I only found it in a Traxxas brand :(
I hate to have to add traxxas to my arrma!
Sux
Oh there was one other place that had high shipping so it didnt make sense

Finished the center diff today. 100k and shimmed it too. Thanks to all the direct advice here and rc extreme videos this was a fun learning project. It definitely seems quieter than stock. The shims or the oil - I’m not sure. Maybe the fast eddie bearings since I did those also

Now on to the front and rear diffs

Last edited:
Finished the center diff today. 100k and shimmed it too. Thanks to all the direct advice here and rc extreme videos this was a fun learning project. It definitely seems quieter than stock. The shims or the oil - I’m not sure. Maybe the fast eddie bearings since I did those also

Now on to the front and rear diffs
Where did u get the shims?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back