Kraton Why is there a slotted hole on the bottom skid plate with the spur gear sticking out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeedoodle30

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
On my Mojave 6S, there is a slotted hole on the bottom plate with the spur gear sticking out? Seems like dirt and mud and gravel could get into the gearing and mess it up.

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 12.11.51 PM.png

I asked myself the same question and came up with two possible answers that don't satisfy me completely. So hopefully the pros here can help.
Is it to avoid sticking gravel between the bottom plate and the gear or does it help checking if something is wrong?
ah, I was too late. Thanks you, Hammer Down.

Except for clearance of bigger spurs or maybe to allow some misalignment issues while running there is only one other common reason that slot is there (that I know of) and that is bump starter boxes for nitro engines on racing rigs.

It’s supposed to let the stones and debris out...
I saw a posting where a guy made an alum. middle skid-plate to cover the slot.It was about 2in. long) I thought that was very clever. Seems the odds of something getting into the gear is greater from the bottom than from the top. But then, what do I know about the odds.
Except for clearance of bigger spurs or maybe to allow some misalignment issues while running there is only one other common reason that slot is there (that I know of) and that is bump starter boxes for nitro engines on racing rigs.
Could be the answer, but then, why machine the slot on all the base plates for electric vehicles?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back