Talion Why is this car constantly popping wheelie?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niz55

Very Active Member
Reaction score
I have a basically new talion exb with tons of aluminum upgrades, hubs, diff housing and more. Since day one I cannot get this car to go straight without doing a wheelie. I was running the stock pinion 16T with stock electronics.

Switch to castle MMX8S with 1650kv motor using same pinion 16T and still the fu cker wheelies.

Okay switched the crappy wheels and tires with outcast 4S and it got even worst.

Not sure what else I can do. I have been doing this rc car for 20 years (mostly 1/5 scales gas)and this little car is pissing me off really bad.

I mean should I install a 8T pinion?

I am getting ready to sell it for dirt cheap if I can't fix this problem.

I have a basically new talion exb with tons of aluminum upgrades, hubs, diff housing and more. Since day one I cannot get this car to go straight without doing a wheelie. I was running the stock pinion 16T with stock electronics.

Switch to castle MMX8S with 1650kv motor using same pinion 16T and still the fu cker wheelies.

Okay switched the crappy wheels and tires with outcast 4S and it got even worst.

Not sure what else I can do. I have been doing this rc car for 20 years (mostly 1/5 scales gas)and this little car is pissing me off really bad.

Maybe try really thin center diff oil?
Also could be the LSD center diff locking prematurely?

The diff fluids been replaced with same exact what it came with and everything was installed correctly.

Not sure, are all the exb talions constantly doing wheelies?

The diff fluids been replaced with same exact what it came with and everything was installed correctly.

Not sure, are all the exb talions constantly doing wheelies?
Not mine, always seemed fairly tame.

Bigger motor/lower pinion --> more torque --> wheelies.
You can lower the punch (throttle responsiveness), get a smaller motor (stock should be fine), smaller (lighter) wheels, bigger pinion and just be less aggressive (but that isn't fun 😁)

I have tried the stock setup first with the 16T and still did it. What pinion do you recommend with the my setup?

I've tried 15t, 18t, 20t and 23t on the 1717

23t is my favorite....

I will be a 23t/44t for regular offroad wheels and 30t/44t with hoons for the street this weekend if the weather holds

18t was really great but I wanted a tiny bit more

Lower punch. Backflip lp will also make you wheelie more than stock tires. What do you have punch control set to? With castle it's reversed. Higher the number the less punch you have.

I've tried 15t, 18t, 20t and 23t on the 1717

23t is my favorite....

I will be a 23t/44t for regular offroad wheels and 30t/44t with hoons for the street this weekend if the weather holds

18t was really great but I wanted a tiny bit more

I have the 1520/1650 motor . I did try 20T and it was little better off start but once going no matter what speed I am in it will pop a wheelie on full throttle.
Lower punch. Backflip lp will also make you wheelie more than stock tires. What do you have punch control set to? With castle it's reversed. Higher the number the less punch you have.
Punch is set to disable. If I lower it than I won't be able to control it in the air.

I don't know maybe I am just not used to 1/8 off road cars.

I have the 1520/1650 motor . I did try 20T and it was little better off start but once going no matter what speed I am in it will pop a wheelie on full throttle.

Punch is set to disable. If I lower it than I won't be able to control it in the air.

I don't know maybe I am just not used to 1/8 off road cars.
Nah bro you should easily be able to control it in the air. Especially with backflip tires. Your punch being disabled is 100% your problem. Try going to 50 or 40%. I have the same setup as you but I use 46 spur and like 28t pinion with punch set to 40 iirc

Talion double backflip with same electronics and backflip lp tires

Nah bro you should easily be able to control it in the air. Especially with backflip tires. Your punch being disabled is 100% your problem. Try going to 50 or 40%. I have the same setup as you but I use 46 spur and like 28t pinion with punch set to 40 iirc
Ok I'll give that a try and turn down the punch but i am it sure if I want to run 28T might overheat the motor. I have a 20T I am going to try.

Ok I'll give that a try and turn down the punch but i am it sure if I want to run 28T might overheat the motor. I have a 20T I am going to try.
20t is a good start. Castle combo runs cool but I use 2 fans. Haha man I bet punch disabled was uncontrollable 🤣 you'll do so much better now. 👍

Oh I didn't notice you are running backflips?

And you are wondering why you are backfliping now? 🤣

But no really, it's the tires. Those are stunt tires, and should easily correct your flight mid air anytime

You can buy a wheelie bar and embrace it like @LicketySplit mentioned

Well the stock tires did this as well but the stock wheels started to wobble the first jump and YouTube pointed me towards the backflips.

I really like this car and I want to keep it as I spent lots of money on it already.

Is this the correct one?
ARRMA AR320366 Wheelie Bar Set Outcast: ARAC9493,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NC24EDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_N89XHR5XHR10T2ZAP21V

Well the stock tires did this as well but the stock wheels started to wobble the first jump and YouTube pointed me towards the backflips.

I really like this car and I want to keep it as I spent lots of money on it already.

Is this the correct one?
ARRMA AR320366 Wheelie Bar Set Outcast: ARAC9493,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NC24EDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_N89XHR5XHR10T2ZAP21V
Yeah that wheelie will work I believe. Think about I have that one.

The Katars are great, but true, they don't have a lot of meat on them so they don't jump well, they can break.

The backflips with its thick chunky and stiff tread is good at jumping, durable, can take high speeds okay because are tough.

I never worry about wheelies with my low profile racing wheels....but they are all cracked on me as well

It's always a compromise with tires

Is this the correct one?
Thats it, I also have it on my talion. Btw, I hope you have tire glue because those backflips will definitely come unglued at some point with that castle combo

The stock tires were great. Never ballooned or anything but my god the wheels were junk. First jump 2 of the wheels started wobble by end of the pack all 4 wheels were wobbling pretty bad.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back