Why no love for the Hobbywing Max 8 G2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk10438

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Seems like the HW max 6 is the favorite aftermarket ESC for bashers but I'm wondering why no one seems to mention the Max 8 G2? BEC can be programmed to a higher voltage and delivers more amps, it can handle sensored motors, and has telemetry capabilities. Any reason why no one seems to mention this for a Kraton or Talion?

+1.

I feel the same way about Sensored. (y)If possible always Upgrade to a sensored setup. Sensored is unrivaled as ESC's go. Until you have one it is hard to describe. The power is more linear, with no Cogging. Sensored are more efficient overall with more ESC parameters available. The better driving experience.

I think since The Max8 G2 (a 6s esc) is fairly new and since the Max line was never associated with being Sensored prior to this, that it often overlooked. It is kind of high priced as well, compared to the G1's. Probably justifiably so being Sensored now.
Also, many prefer to go with 8s ESC's as the priority when ugrading. I am good with 6s setups when upgrading. But it's always a sensored ESC whatever I choose.
All my stuff is HW. Been partial to the XR8 Plus G2 and G3. 3 of them here. Among other 1/10 HW sensored ESC's. I use the HW App and adapter for setting them up. Never let me down.
The Max8 G2 is very similar. But uses a proprietary WP Sensor Lead connector for this Motor and ESC. Which is unique to this new G2 Max 8. Similar connector to the HW Axe ESC line for Crawler applications.
This WP connector might be a put off to some?? IDK. :unsure:
The Max 8 G2 manual states that a Standard sensor lead can also be used somehow. I imagine with a HW adapter of sorts, like if using another brand sensored Motor?? Just that I have not seen any more HW info. in regards.
My spin.
:cool:

Last edited:
It was pretty simple for me to choose the Max6, but I do want to try the Max8 G2 with the sensored 4278 HW motor. I bought a Max6 and a Hobbystar 4082 1600kv about 2 weeks ago for my Typhon. My goal was to be able to run a little faster with a littler stronger acceleration and lower temps. Most of the threads here and reviews online are all about the previous version, not the G2. Many of them mentioned the original Max8 running higher temps. The marketing for the G2 claims the new design will reduce temps 25%. That is great if its true, but really haven't seen enough reviews to be sure. Most people I saw in threads here who had owned both the original Max8 and a Max6 said the Max6 was superior on staying cooler, so thats what I got.

The positive YT reviews I saw was from Exocaged: Max8 G2 Sensored Combo in Mojave

He liked it so much he has put them in multiple rigs. I've had buyers remorse with the Max6/Hobbystar combo, only because I'd really like to experience sensored first hand and the Max8 G2 seems like the best option to do that for bashers running 6s. Buyers remorse faded after a few runs with the new system as it is super responsive and no cogging with the current gearing and setup. Next 6s rig I upgrade the esc/motor on, I'll try the new Max8.

For some reason I never consider ExoCaged reviews to be dead on. Not definitive or technical enough for me. He gets his stuff on the arm in some cases and sometimes they are loaned to him from his LHS and friends. So sometimes his bread is buttered elswhere. But I keep watching most of his stuff anyway. (y) He is a promoter influencer more than he is an evaluator. But he does love RC.
He is a way better Crawler guy than he is a Basher guy IMHO. Equipment included:cool:

I prefer sensored and telemetry and was a little disappointed that the Max 6 has neither. I would have purchased the max 8 G2 but there wasn’t an package option so my only option was to purchase it a la carte. Since the max6/1650 is such a popular combo it was an easy decision but looking at the specs, it doesn’t seem like there’s a compelling reason to choose the max 6 over max 8 G2. If anything, G2 might be a better choice…..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back