Kraton Why the obsession with 4s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1
I couldn't agree with you more. I stated the same elsewhere on AF. I run my 6s rigs on 4s many times.. I mix it up. Even on 3s a few times.I love 4s to be honest. Hard to explain. Driving is more controllable and precise for sure. My Typhon TLRT will only be run with 4s. 1/8 truggies and buggies were originally designed for only 4s running.
Example:
Why would you buy a Typhon 3s, when you can get a Typhon 6s (or even the TRT roller) and run it on 3s or 4s as well as 6s.
It is future proof. No need to spend hundreds to bring a 3s 4x4 to 4s performance. What always ends up happening 99% of the time. One could have just started out with the Typhon 6s platform. Upgrades are numerous and in many cases less expensive than the 4x4 upgrades.
The 4x4 Power Module is the major flaw IMHO. Arrma won't change from it. Needing to spend big $$$ for the M2C motor mount and bracket. Almost 30%+ of the cost of a whole 4x4.
Yes some of it has to do with the power to weight ratio of a plastic chassis versus a true Alloy Buggy platform no doubt. I think guys rather upgrade to 4s gear, rather than work with 3s by changing out gears and motors. Spending more on ESC electrics, Lipos, etc to get the performance of a 6s rig. Then that plastic 4x4 chassis is loaded down with more weight than it was designed for.

For so many, the 4x4 Typhon for instance seems like the cheaper deal. Inititially it is. For a short while. But then that long road of upgrades are needed.
Many of the 6s upgrades are more optional and just bling for the most part. Whereas the 4x4 guys generally need the upgrades because of durability issues.. Wanting more power and all. A 4s 4x4 rig seems dead at this point. HH hasn't brought out its replacement yet. The 4s RTR's had durability issues out the box. Yet many will mod their 3s rigs to 4s specs to achieve the same short results.:unsure: But we all RC differently, spend our money differently. Different wallets and all.
Just me.
I bought my Typhon 3s since it was all that I could afford, if I had a way to get money, I would‘ve gotten the 6s. In the future, I may sell my Typhon 3s to get a TLRT to run on 6s and bash. I haven’t had to spend much money on my Typhon 3s, but there are some necessary upgrades like 6s shocks and the M2C motor mount and brace.

I like the Mojavified Typhon build @RC DUDE81 runs. Perfect size, durability and power I'm looking into. I just don't have all the spare parts and vehicles laying around to do it :LOL: . I started pricing it out and was like "Meh, do I really want it that bad?". I still go back and forth thinking about it.

+1
I couldn't agree with you more. I stated the same elsewhere on AF. I run my 6s rigs on 4s many times.. I mix it up. Even on 3s a few times.I love 4s to be honest. Hard to explain. Driving is more controllable and precise for sure. My Typhon TLRT will only be run with 4s. 1/8 truggies and buggies were originally designed for only 4s running.
Example:
Why would you buy a Typhon 3s, when you can get a Typhon 6s (or even the TLRT roller) and run it on 3s or 4s as well as 6s.
It is future proof. No need to spend hundreds to bring a 3s 4x4 to 4s performance. What always ends up happening 99% of the time. One could have just started out with the Typhon 6s platform. Upgrades are numerous and in many cases less expensive than the 4x4 upgrades.
The 4x4 Power Module is the major flaw IMHO. Arrma won't change from it. Needing to spend big $$$ for the M2C motor mount and bracket. Almost 30%+ of the cost of a whole 4x4.
Yes some of it has to do with the power to weight ratio of a plastic chassis versus a true Alloy Buggy platform no doubt. I think guys rather upgrade to 4s gear, rather than work with 3s by changing out gears and motors. Spending more on ESC electrics, Lipos, etc to get the performance of a 6s rig. Then that plastic 4x4 chassis is loaded down with more weight than it was designed for.

For so many, the 4x4 Typhon for instance seems like the cheaper deal. Inititially it is. For a short while. But then that long road of upgrades are needed.
Many of the 6s upgrades are more optional and just bling for the most part. Whereas the 4x4 guys generally need the upgrades because of durability issues.. Wanting more power and all. A 4s 4x4 rig seems dead at this point. HH hasn't brought out its replacement yet. The 4s RTR's had durability issues out the box. Yet many will mod their 3s rigs to 4s specs to achieve the same short results.:unsure: Many have even stuffed 6s electrics in there. But we all RC differently, spend our money differently. Different wallets and all.
Just me.
Valid points, but what are all the Civic tuners in us gonna do? We buy cheap, throw a ton of parts at it and blow people's minds when it smokes a 650hp Camaro that cost twice as much in a 1/4 mile...🤟
All kidding aside, the 4s could've been a good margin for those who could afford a little more but don't want to mortgage a 6s rig. 👍
I'm the tuner referenced above. Always liked sleepers.

Unfortunately, the RC manufacturers have determined that higher priced vehicles sell well and there's no need for a medium price point. The 2s and 3s market is aimed at the folks entering the hobby for the first time, and adding an additional $100 for a 4s vehicle might just be too much of a cost increase for those just entering the hobby. And the ones who buy a 3s and decide to continue in the hobby are not likely to spend another $470-500 to upgrade to 4s when for $100 more they can upgrade to 6s. That leaves little market share for 4s vehicles, and for manufacturers it's all about market share and what gets the best return on investment. While a 4s vehicle might make sense for you, a seasoned RC enthusiast, and others like you, it doesn't make sense for the manufacturers.

I think you are making assumptions that probably aren’t true. People buy 4S cars for lots of reasons, and probably not from the same experienced perspective you see the market.

Maybe they buy them because they’re cheaper, maybe they’re starting out and don’t want 6S, maybe they heard the 6S cars break a lot or are expensive to maintain or whatever. Maybe, like in the case with Traxxas, the 4S car is better than the 6S. Assuming people are logical or see RC cars the same way you see them is probably not accurate. A lot of people don’t even know the basic difference between a Maxx or an E-Revo to be frank, based on simple questions I get all the time or hear in a hobby shop.

In any case, Horizon doesn’t bring out a car unless their sales forecast warrants it (I know people who work there), so the fact that they were willing to redesign the 4S lineup means the original sold well enough to be worth the effort. I don’t have sales figures for anything, but like I said, Maxx videos do REALLY well on my channel, so at least from my metrics there is a lot of interest in that vehicle at least. Horizon thinks it will sell well enough to be worth investing a new version, and so that should tell you something about the market demand for that type of product.

+1
Example:
Why would you buy a Typhon 3s, when you can get a Typhon 6s (or even the TLRT roller) and run it on 3s or 4s as well as 6s.

Many of the 6s upgrades are more optional and just bling for the most part. Whereas the 4x4 guys generally need the upgrades because of durability issues.. Wanting more power and all. A 4s 4x4 rig seems dead at this point. HH hasn't brought out its replacement yet. The 4s RTR's had durability issues out the box. Yet many will mod their 3s rigs to 4s specs to achieve the same short results.:unsure: Many have even stuffed 6s electrics in there. But we all RC differently, spend our money differently. Different wallets and all.
Just me.
I agree, partially. I'll leave the "but some people just like tinkering/upgrading" (me) point alone, since that can apply to every single RC across the board, and it'd be hard to speculate actual numbers on that. But sadly, I don't know that the "average" consumer thinks that way you're thinking in terms of economical common sense, especially in the US. Since the huge majority of our school systems fail to teach even basic financial success to our youths, and many (if not most) are also not being taught any good financial lessons at home, people aren't always doing what's logical. More than half the population of the US has significant debt ASIDE from a mortage. More than half of Country has less than $5k in savings, and more than 80% couldn't survive 6 months with zero income. People live beyond their means in pretty much every aspect of life, and the majority of people drowning in debt don't have the discipline necessary to deny themselves the pleasures they want simply to avoid accumulating more debt (admittedly that last "stat" is an assumption, but simply through observation I feel it's accurate). What do most people do when they pay off their phone? They immediately go get the newest one available. People buy houses that are way bigger than what they need, then spend more money filling empty rooms with furniture that will almost never get used. Huge percentages of people budget based off of the maximum monthly payments they can make without over drafting their bank account, not what they can actually afford. I don't think the idea of "saving now to spend more on something better that will be cheaper down the road" applies to at least 50% of the Country. Millions of people buy the cheapest thing that they already can't afford when they decide on a whim that they want it, then throw more money at it fixing it or improving it because they aren't thinking big picture or long-run, they're thinking immediate gratification, and they're thinking "what's the maximum amount I can spend today, right now?" That's why there are so many threads where someone is wanting to upgrade their rig to brushless, but only have $6 to spend (okay, and exaggeration but you get my point). Because of that, I think expanding the 4s line makes sense from a business standpoint...you might not greatly expand your customer-base, but a not-insignificant percentage of your existing customer base who can't buy a $600+ 6s rig can buy a $400-$500 4s rig. If anything, you'd be hurting the 3s product line, but I have to assume margins are higher on 4s (it can't cost that much more to manufacture since they share so many common parts).

We are a big Consumer market here. Is what it is. Groomed that way. Our purchase habits are guided by marketting. I think the Arrma line up will get bloated if it hasn't already. 3s is here to stay. The 4s line???? Where is it? I don't see it yet. Legacy 4s 4x4's came and went. Best it stay gone. Then a clear distinction of wanting a 3s rig or a 6s rig is easier to make. 4s was a grey area and it's platform was maxxed out already with 3s as it was intended originally.
I only speak and recommend based on 35 years experience doing this. Why let others make the same Hobby mistakes I did.
I see many guys end up with $500.-$1k 3s 4x4's that end up being no better, and sometimes not even close to a $500-$600 6s rig. Performance and durabiity wise. Add in a few upgrades to a 6s rig and both become $1000. What would you rather own between the 2? Realistically? To enjoy the hobby with less of a hit to the wallet. RC is a long term hobby. And it is hard for many to see the investment $$$ long term. Being penny wise, pound foolish.
6s line is an old yet mature buggy/truggy 1/8 platform. With numerous inexpensive upgrade support options . Other brands even followed suit.

edited.

Last edited:
RC enthusiasts can get very vocal in their desires, but that enthusiasm doesn't always translate to buying. I agree there are folks that would be a good fit for a 4s, but expecting there to be a significant difference in price from a 6s isn't logical. Scaling an existing 3s part up or scaling a 6s part down doesn't usually result in cost savings for the manufacturer. The cost of retooling alone would necessitate a modest increase in the price over a 3s vehicle. And then there is the cost of material. The manufacturer would have to carry more inventory of parts, which also costs money, and then there's the advertising budget. All those costs will be handed down to the customer, so that $100 difference between a 3s and a 4s that folks have been saying they would pay might not happen.

We will have to wait and see if Horizon actually comes out with a redesigned 4s vehicle as your insiders say they are. And if they do come out with a new vehicle, it will be interesting to see if they can match the $470-500 price point mentioned in this forum. It wouldn't hurt me one bit to be wrong on this subject: if it benefits some of the folks on this forum, I'm all for it.

We will have to wait and see if Horizon actually comes out with a redesigned 4s vehicle as your insiders say they are. And if they do come out with a new vehicle, it will be interesting to see if they can match the $470-500 price point mentioned in this forum. It wouldn't hurt me one bit to be wrong on this subject: if it benefits some of the folks on this forum, I'm all for it.

Horizon hasn't yet, but the just-released Team Corally Sketer has everything people have been asking for in an Arrma 4S, (and then some IMO...) the kicker? $489.99. Aluminum chassis, all steel drivetrain/driveshafts, pivot ball suspension, T2T, all aluminum shocks, Swiss spring steel outdrives, etc. It's basically a slightly scaled down 1/8.

269576660_233875148917181_857272711776015334_n.jpg

I need to drive one, but on paper it's pretty impressive and right in the price range I think these 4S vehicles need to be.

Last edited:
Horizon hasn't yet, but the just-released Team Corally Sketer has everything people have been asking for in an Arrma 4S, (and then some IMO...) the kicker? $489.99. Aluminum chassis, all steel drivetrain/driveshafts, pivot ball suspension, T2T, all aluminum shocks, Swiss spring steel outdrives, etc. It's basically a slightly scaled down 1/8.

I need to drive one, but on paper it's pretty impressive and right in the price range I think these 4S vehicles need to be. If TC can do it, you would think Arrma has the ability to do so too.

And I'll be waiting for your unbiased review. (y)

View attachment 193834

I need to drive one, but on paper it's pretty impressive and right in the price range I think these 4S vehicles need to be. If TC can do it, you would think Arrma has the ability to do so too.

As you say, it certainly looks good on paper. It will be interesting to see how well it performs, and if the aftermarket joins in on the fun.

View attachment 193834

Is that the US price? Their site lists this at €549 +€95 VAT, without shipping, that puts this in the mid to upper 700 range.
For 489 I'd definitely consider it.
Took a long hard look at this and it's very impressive. Metal center diff, cnc gears, steel outdrives and cvds, Aluminum shocks, aluminum chassis, and shock towers, composite and aluminum bracing, 25 kg servo, hidden wiring..., and on and on...
Very impressive!

My prospective... There is some synergy when you have a good 4S and 8S line. I started out with 3S bashers and knowing that I could use the batteries I bought for those with probable future 6S purchase which made it more financially pleasing than getting all new batteries like I did when I went to 8S rigs. Since I figured that my first 8S would have been the Xmaxx at the time. (before the Arrma 8S EXB's were out and more durable than the RTR) If there would have been a good Arrma 4S at the time I might have gotten than instead. (felt like the 4S Maxx was too close to the price of the Xmaxx to not want to skip right there and it was only $900 at the time, not $1000 like now) I've gone to the larger scale that I am not sure that they will get me to buy a 4S RTR unless it's really interesting. (like the new TC offering)

Hurricane

Is that the US price? Their site lists this at €549 +€95 VAT, without shipping, that puts this in the mid to upper 700 range.
Took a long hard look at this and it's very impressive. Metal center diff, cnc gears, steel outdrives and cvds, Aluminum shocks, aluminum chassis, and shock towers, composite and aluminum bracing, 25 kg servo, hidden wiring..., and on and on...
Very impressive!

Yup, HRP is the U.S. distributor, sells for $489.99 there and a few other places.

https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts...roducts/cor00191-sketer-xp-1-10-4wd-brushless

Very impressive!
It's 549 (including €95 VAT) and €5 for shipping

1642673134223.png

6S range is sold here for:
€549 (typhon v5 RTR)
€769 (outcast EXB RTR)

Yup, HRP is the U.S. distributor, sells for $489.99 there and a few other places.

https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts...roducts/cor00191-sketer-xp-1-10-4wd-brushless
Done!
I'm sending my wife your informatio when she asks, "who gave you this idea?"
It's 549 (including €95 VAT) and €5 for shipping

View attachment 193930

6S range is sold here for:
€549 (typhon v5 RTR)
€769 (outcast EXB RTR)
Appears that I read that incorrectly. I thought the VAT was added after the sale. The shipping I was referring to was to the US, which isn't listed...
Either way, I'm committed now...

Thanks for enabling me @razorrc😭

Last edited:
I'm beginning to see the allure of 4s now. I wouldn't likely buy a 4s vehicle for myself, but I might try upgrading my Typhon 3s to 4s.

On my Typhon 3s I have upgraded the stock motor and ESC to a Surpass 3670/2850 motor and Firma 130A ESC, and both are capable of running 4s. And yesterday I installed the ARRMA CNC steel diff modules in both the front and the rear. My only concern right now is the driveshafts: are the stock driveshafts on the ARRMA 3s vehicles capable of running on 4s? And other than the driveshafts. are there any other parts that might be a problem running on 4s? Your recommendations would be appreciated.

By the way, I would mostly be running my Typhon 4s on the street or in the mostly dirt back yard with no jumping.

I'm beginning to see the allure of 4s now. I wouldn't likely buy a 4s vehicle for myself, but I might try upgrading my Typhon 3s to 4s.

On my Typhon 3s I have upgraded the stock motor and ESC to a Surpass 3670/2850 motor and Firma 130A ESC, and both are capable of running 4s. And yesterday I installed the ARRMA CNC steel diff modules in both the front and the rear. My only concern right now is the driveshafts: are the stock driveshafts on the ARRMA 3s vehicles capable of running on 4s? And other than the driveshafts. are there any other parts that might be a problem running on 4s? Your recommendations would be appreciated.

By the way, I would mostly be running my Typhon 4s on the street or in the mostly dirt back yard with no jumping.
I'll let you know, I'm about to go down the same path, with both my 4s rigs. FWIW, I'm only building up the rear diffs and CVDs, in all my bashing I've only had issues at the rear with CVDs and the diff giving up.

On dirt, I'd say you might get away with the composite CVDs but not on pavement unless your easy on the trigger (which, try as I might, it's not that effective).

If you’re gonna run 4s, you’re better off building a TLRT Typhon to run 4s with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back