Why would I need to discharge a battery?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. RC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 3s
I am starting to get a few more batteries, but I still have the cheep spectrum S150. When Im done with the battery i will usually charge it back up to 50% as I don't have a storage charger. Would it be worth it to get a charger that can discharge/storage charge?

Mostly when you charge your batteries to run but don't end up doing so. Most chargers can discharge, albeit very slowly. But it may be enough if you only do it occasionally. Otherwise there are much faster dedicated dischargers like the ISDT-FD200 available.

I think it would help benefit the health of your batteries. If you charge them up, and then can't run them down to a lower voltage (a vehicle breaks, you're unable to actually take them out to play, etc), now they're "stuck" at full voltage. Which will degrade the cells more quickly, making the batteries become weak more quickly.

A discharger, even a slow option (like a simple charger with a very-modest 5W of discharge power), would at least let you gradually bring them down to storage voltage, which is better for the batteries in the long-term.

I am starting to get a few more batteries, but I still have the cheep spectrum S150. When Im done with the battery i will usually charge it back up to 50% as I don't have a storage charger. Would it be worth it to get a charger that can discharge/storage charge?
My charger doesn't have a discharge mode so I install a lipo alarm on the balance plugs and set to 3.8 then I run untill it beeps to let me know I hit that voltage. Pretty simple I've had no issues
Or you can allways use a small light bulb to discharge it

You have to balance your cells ..because if don't them you won't be cool 😎🤟

Yes, get a more capable charger, plenty of threads here on this topic with solid recommendations.
It will pay for itself by treating your lips the right way. 50% is a little too high for storage. 3.8V is the golden target, 3.75 through 3.85 is where you want to be, per cell.

Yes, get a more capable charger, plenty of threads here on this topic with solid recommendations.
It will pay for itself by treating your lips the right way. 50% is a little too high for storage. 3.8V is the golden target, 3.75 through 3.85 is where you want to be, per cell.
Didnt know that, thank you :)
All these answers have been helpful, appreciate it!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back