Talion Will a 22t pinon on my talion will be safe on the grass?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talion newbie 248

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
Hi guys just a quick question will a 22t pinon be safe on the grass. The manual says not to run the optional 20t pinon on the grass so I'm scared to run it any where else besides the street.

Almost certain that you will overheat the motor, not even sure if fans will help at that point. Overheat will lead to catastrophic motor damage, ask me how I know...

Only way to find out, run a minute & take the temperature on both ESC and motor, run 2 min take temp etc. If you go beyond 190 ish you will risk motor damage, at 210 it's guaranteed. Typical is a max of 170-180 in hot weather.

Others have upgraded ESC & motor for that reason. I stay with 16-18T and seems no issue on grass with dual fans running and ~ 80F outside.

Almost certain that you will overheat the motor, not even sure if fans will help at that point. Overheat will lead to catastrophic motor damage, ask me how I know...

Only way to find out, run a minute & take the temperature on both ESC and motor, run 2 min take temp etc. If you go beyond 190 ish you will risk motor damage, at 210 it's guaranteed. Typical is a max of 170-180 in hot weather.

Others have upgraded ESC & motor for that reason. I stay with 16-18T and seems no issue on grass with dual fans running and ~ 80F outside.
?
I have a Max 6 and an ezrun g2 motor on my talion so I don't know if that will help at all.

Also, keep in mind that if you're on a bigger pinion and haven't addressed the diffs, you could blow out those Katars...or any tire, diffing out. Even on stock pinion when I got my Talion V3, I was spinning hard on a dirt baseball diamond infield and sure enough exploded a front tire. Very first day and first Arrma truck. lol. Obviously it didn't discourage me but I most def learned quick to not jam the throttle every chance I get.
Watch temps and watch tires and you'll quickly learn the boundaries. And if you have a GPS, get speeds because that Talion will do every bit of what you want on 6s and bigger pinion. The thing will fly. ???

Yeah I honestly don't see a reason to go that fast. You are asking to explode a tire or all of them lol
?

I have a Max 6 and an ezrun g2 motor on my talion so I don't know if that will help at all.
What kv is it?
Wow?
Stop right there that is the wrong motor. That thing will pop quickly. Way too small of a motor for that rig.
Look into replacing it with a 4985 hw...
With the motor you have on 6s and that gearing. If it even makes it to top speed before blowing up you are around 100mph. If you are not already doing 80mph it is because the motor is too small

Last edited:
Yeah I honestly don't see a reason to go that fast. You are asking to explode a tire or all of them lol

What kv is it?
Wow?
Stop right there that is the wrong motor. That thing will pop quickly. Way too small of a motor for that rig.
Look into replacing it with a 4985 hw...
With the motor you have on 6s and that gearing. If it even makes it to top speed before blowing up you are around 100mph. If you are not already doing 80mph it is because the motor is too small

? I checked the g2 series and they went from 3000kv to 5000kv. Must be an older model. You should be good there then just double check to make sure please. But I would leave gearing alone.

Attachments

• 15835559768003042085883801750640.jpg
    15835559768003042085883801750640.jpg
    388.1 KB · Views: 39
Ezrun is still hobbywing you are all good lol... it's a short can motor... tell ya what. Run it and check your temps and if they are good gear it up. When or if you do. Check temps every min until your pack is done. If it got too hot you know it's gearing is too high. The max 6 will be plenty for that rig.

Yeah and it's a hobby wing motor sorry for my noobish mistake.
Ezrun is still hobbywing you are all good lol... it's a short can motor... tell ya what. Run it and check your temps and if they are good gear it up. When or if you do. Check temps every min until your pack is done. If it got too hot you know it's gearing is too high. The max 6 will be plenty for that rig.
Gonna go to my store in the morning and get a GPS and a temp thingy.

Gonna go to my store in the morning and get a GPS and a temp thingy.

GPS for fun. You could stick your phone in there too. lol On 22t, I bet that thing jams.
Looks like v4 too. Gonna be fast as a mfr, I bet. Should be awesome

Just did a run in my local park ran it on the grass the temps were very close to 170 with the 22t pinon. Blew out my badlands tire foam came right out. It is it ok that the temps were around 170?

Just did a run in my local park ran it on the grass the temps were very close to 170 with the 22t pinon. Blew out my badlands tire foam came right out. It is it ok that the temps were around 170?
I try to stay under 170 and if I get to 180 I get concerned. Could be capable of more and I can't recall the safe guidelines. You should be ok but I'd keep an eye on it with that fast pinion.

I try to stay under 170 and if I get to 180 I get concerned. Could be capable of more and I can't recall the safe guidelines. You should be ok but I'd keep an eye on it with that fast pinion.
[/QUOT
the damage from today's aftermath time to pick up new tires. Maybe src terrain crushers
[/QUOT

Attachments

• 15837927886046090791452683853247.jpg
    15837927886046090791452683853247.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 40
the damage from today's aftermath time to pick up new tires. Maybe src terrain crushers

I'd say those ProLines are done! lol
I ran Terrain Crushers on my 6s Typhon with 20t pinion and blew em up. I think it's important that if you wish to stay with that fast pinion I'd address at least the center diff fluid if you haven't. 300+ weight will help with diffing out and causing those front tires to balloon and come unglued or worse split open like yours did.

I'd say those ProLines are done! lol
I ran Terrain Crushers on my 6s Typhon with 20t pinion and blew em up. I think it's important that if you wish to stay with that fast pinion I'd address at least the center diff fluid if you haven't. 300+ weight will help with diffing out and causing those front tires to balloon and come unglued or worse split open like yours did.
So what tires do you recommend

22t pinion with bigger tires than stock? Good luck bro ? Motor or ESC will fry. Most likely both.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back