Granite Will a motor fan help the esc from overheating?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCbasher33

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I run my granite blx in some short grass (my yard) not a plush lawn mainly grass/crab grass etc. I see my esc flashes red which means it's overheating. I was wondering if by adding a motor fan if that will help out at all in keeping the esc cool (which already has fan)

It will only help a little. The motor creates heat in addition to the ESC. If you can get the motor heat out it will very slightly add less heat to the ESC. A better ESC fan is what you really need. I just 3D printed a new mount for a 30mmx30mm fan. I plan on using the Hobbystar Turbo fan. I have two on my motor and they push tons of air on 6V.

@jondilly1974 got ya I will look into that. Do you have an STL of the new mount you printed? Did you use pla?
I did use PLA for prototyping, but I’m thinking carbon fiber PLA for the final. I also made some snap on fan covers for the topside. I will DM you a Dropbox link to the STL files when I get home later.

Check all your bearings. The stock ones only last a few packs in dirt and then need to be replaced with rubber sealed bearings. A fan isn't going to help much if one of your bearings are seized.

Check all your bearings. The stock ones only last a few packs in dirt and then need to be replaced with rubber sealed bearings. A fan isn't going to help much if one of your bearings are seized.
You may be right I'm only running a 2s currently and the ambient temperature wasnt hot. So this may be the case.

(n)Failing bearings get super hot and self destruct. Eventually damaging the whole motor internally if not caught in time. This can load up amp draw at the ESC. Not a good thing.(n)

You may be right I'm only running a 2s currently and the ambient temperature wasnt hot. So this may be the case.

I did the same when I first got my Slash. RTR electronics should run OK under normal conditions (batteries they are rated for, and motors they come with), so if it's not running OK with stock electronics, then something else is usually wrong. Usually crunchy/seized bearings, too loose/tight of a slipper, or something is binding.

@razorrc it runs good just cuts off a little earlier probably only a couple minutes left on the pack. When it hits the voltage cut off the esc shouldn't flash red correct?

@razorrc it runs good just cuts off a little earlier probably only a couple minutes left on the pack. When it hits the voltage cut off the esc shouldn't flash red correct?

What does the manual say? I think it has two different red codes, one for overtemp and one for low voltage.

Ok so I need barons shocks and tires for my stock granite 3sblx just to start off also need a good tool kit help a brother out

ESC should flash Green for a Thermal Cut-off. When it sits and cools off, the Green light disappears. Rig will continue to run again. The ESC monitors temps in real time. With Power remaining "ON". Flashing Red is LVC. Replace the pack at this time..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back