Big Rock Will lowering your motor timing run your motor cooler?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basher27

Reaction score
I’m running a big rock with 130 firma ESC and BLX 2400 KV motor on a 4S battery. Today I was playing around for a good 15/20 minutes and checked my motor temp and it was 155°. I’m running an 18 tooth pinion. Is that temperature OK?
I don’t really want to go down a tooth so wondering if lowering the timing on the ESC from 15° to 11.25° Would keep it cooler?
I ordered a better fan also and hopes that would keep it cooler. Haven’t got it in the mail yet

Following.

As far as temps go, that's pretty close to my upper limit to where i'm comfortable with. Fine overall if you're consistently only 155, but i'd be wary to start finding ways to increase temps (bigger battery, bigger tires, running in thick grass, running longer before cooling down, etc). 180 deg or higher is generally this no-go zone, depending on how risk adverse you are. I always thought that lowering timing would produce the same effect as lowering gearing (ie lower temps, but also lower power), but that's only assumption. I'm keen to see what others have to say about this.

Last edited:
Lowering timing can lower temps, increase torque.. It does reduce rpm of course, but I'm sure it most likely wouldn't be noticed unless your speed running that rock...

155 isn't bad.. but add some hotter weather, humidity, and increased load and you may see that number significantly climb..

Lowering timing can lower temps, increase torque.. It does reduce rpm of course, but I'm sure it most likely wouldn't be noticed unless your speed running that rock...

155 isn't bad.. but add some hotter weather, humidity, and increased load and you may see that number significantly climb..
I was told by a guy at my local Hobby Town that anything under 190 is OK for brushless motors?

^^^ and considering you're running on 4s with a 18t on that motor, you're probably faster than a stock big rock anyway.

Couldnt hurt to experiment with lowering timing in small increments. See what comes of it. If you venture that way, do report back on your findings as I'm interested in the results :cool:

I’m running a big rock with 130 firma ESC and BLX 2400 KV motor on a 4S battery. Today I was playing around for a good 15/20 minutes and checked my motor temp and it was 155°. I’m running an 18 tooth pinion. Is that temperature OK?
I don’t really want to go down a tooth so wondering if lowering the timing on the ESC from 15° to 11.25° Would keep it cooler?
I ordered a better fan also and hopes that would keep it cooler. Haven’t got it in the mail yet

I have the same ESC but with 3050kv but all 4S items like 4S slipper, CVD driveshaft, etc so it is 4S ready if I go there. But I do like 3S good place to control it but heat was my target with the electronics. The motor is at 15deg but most important help for me was adding a good fan on the motor and one that could take a BR bashing...this has been a winner. I would suggest a better fan for the motor and I did sway an aluminum for the ESC.

1651275236332.png
1651275315941.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back