Big Rock Will re-positioning the ESC’s lower help prevent the mounting tabs from breaking so easy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basher27

Reaction score
I posted about this issue on a different thread the other day and someone mentioned to me since it was on the long wheelbase chassis to lower the ESC down. They thought it would be less vulnerable in this position. Personally, I don’t know how it could make much difference, but I am new to the hobby and curious if anyone else out there has an opinion? Trying to keep the mounting tabs from breaking as you can see in this position you need the tabs.

PS. As you see the motor sits right against the ESC and wires not sure if this would make it run hotter or not?

6A4326DE-CA11-482A-A283-A4E84343C418.jpeg

I don't think you'd see any difference in temps or durability. Maybe a slight improvement to low center of gravity.

Little if any difference. I would rather keep the esc further away from the motor due to heat concerns.

I posted about this issue on a different thread the other day and someone mentioned to me since it was on the long wheelbase chassis to lower the ESC down. They thought it would be less vulnerable in this position. Personally, I don’t know how it could make much difference, but I am new to the hobby and curious if anyone else out there has an opinion? Trying to keep the mounting tabs from breaking as you can see in this position you need the tabs.

PS. As you see the motor sits right against the ESC and wires not sure if this would make it run hotter or not?

View attachment 266902

Yes it helps prevent the tabs from breaking in 2 way's..

it's trapped between the motor and rx module.. slung weight can only go so far being trapped...

2nd is there is no possible way of the body smashing into it on a nasty impact...

All my lwb 3s rigs get the esc's mounted down in the chassis.. 👍

No worries on heat, it will be fine as long as the fan is running..👍

RPM needs to make a case/cage for the ESC’s when that happens like they do for Traxxas.

My little trick i do since the tabs are slightly elevated from the bottom of the esc.. when its mounted the esc doesn't actually sit flush on the receiver box, it's perched up slightly off of it so all the stress is directly on the 2 tabs!!

I just use 3m double sided tape and don't snug it all the way down with the screws.. I'll grab the top of the esc and wiggle it while I fasten it down until I can move/pick the whole rig up by the esc and it not budge!! Has worked like a charm since I broke the first one over 2 years ago!! 😎

This is helpful info. I broke the tabs on my esc along with front shock tower on my typhon 3s on the first day! At least the snow on the ground has me patiently waiting on an order from jennys rc. Otherwise, I'd be trying to jerry rig it or rob parts from one of the other trucks.

I always take the esc out and put a bit on shoe goo under the esc and screw back down never comes off then on the 6s models (y)

Lower center of gravity is always best. Keeping the ESC down low to the chassis. In a perfect world. But IMHO, that's just too close to the motor for my taste. Why not place it onto the Rx Box. Screw it down with an ESC plate if needed while also using some 2 sided 3M tape for added insurance. ESC seems much to close to the motor. It's just jammed in there. Motor gets super hot. So does the ESC. One is just adding and containing heat to the other.
Both need to breathe better.
What I would do. :cool:
You can always try it as is, and monitor it closely with temp gun. I would be weary though. Depending on your gearing and ESC Timing, maybe it is ok as is???:unsure:

Last edited:
I only mount it on the chassis to lower the CG. It actually makes it harder to remove the motor in some cases.

Last edited:
First thing I did when I got my max10 sct was mount it inbetween on the chassis. First thing I did on my first run was break the tabs on the mount 🤦‍♂️

So I made a new mounting plate from 1mm sheet ss 👍

I also used some foam/carpet (the stuff you put on the feet of furniture to make it slide easily) to help cushion the ESC. I think all the ESC mounting spots have the ESC slightly elevated, so I figured filling the gap with something firmish will help to stop the tabs from breaking. I have found a bit of controlled movement works better then solid mounting, or having the ESC float around a bit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back