Will the XLX2 and 1100kv Castle blow up the drivetrain?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks @Armarookie43 ! I assume the diff screws @Yasaboss mentioned are the ones in need of the red ol tite?
Yeah I used the blue stick LT on mine (what I had on hand) , honestly for as little as I drove it, I just don't think they were very tight to begin with, it's worth checking and it's pretty easy. It had a good amount of diff fluid in it too wasn't low at all, even though it pushed some out of it.

Well, it took a long time to get the power system, then the programming card, then the motor mount and smaller spur gear, but she is mostly together at last ! Will have time hopefully this weekend to button her up, pick up a GPS, and see what happens 🤩. Will be testing on a 39T spur and 30T pinion, 1100KV castle 2028 with XLX2 ESC.

1641334625590.png

Well, it took a long time to get the power system, then the programming card, then the motor mount and smaller spur gear, but she is mostly together at last ! Will have time hopefully this weekend to button her up, pick up a GPS, and see what happens 🤩. Will be testing on a 39T spur and 30T pinion, 1100KV castle 2028 with XLX2 ESC.

View attachment 190400
It's fun man, and it's a beast. I have this exact same set up in mine, except I have the blutooth b link which is awesome to adjust on the fly, highly recommend it. Just got some proline mashers couple weeks ago and it'll roast all 4 on pavement at about 40mph. I will say the k8 exb stock dB copperhead 2 big blocks glue bead doesn't last long with the set up either. And it does run a little warm in the fall, but man it's a beast. Have a blast man!

It's fun man, and it's a beast. I have this exact same set up in mine, except I have the blutooth b link which is awesome to adjust on the fly, highly recommend it. Just got some proline mashers couple weeks ago and it'll roast all 4 on pavement at about 40mph. I will say the k8 exb stock dB copperhead 2 big blocks glue bead doesn't last long with the set up either. And it does run a little warm in the fall, but man it's a beast. Have a blast man!
That is great to hear! Thank you for the input. It is great to get confirmation from someone who’s tried this setup.

What did you do to fit the pro lines on your Kraton hubs? Did you drill them out or find adapters?

Also, the motor sensor wire falls out very easily. Did you do anything to mitigate that issue?

That is great to hear! Thank you for the input. It is great to get confirmation from someone who’s tried this setup.

What did you do to fit the pro lines on your Kraton hubs? Did you drill them out or find adapters?

Also, the motor sensor wire falls out very easily. Did you do anything to mitigate that issue?
Nah I just keep I t pushed in tight on the back one. And zip tie the slack of the wire to the chassis braces so it doesn't bounce around. The proline masher X's have a 24mm hex hub, bolts right on.

View attachment 190400
Yup 30/39 gearing is a beast. I don't drive my K8S non stop though because my batteries get very hot.

Nah I just keep I t pushed in tight on the back one. And zip tie the slack of the wire to the chassis braces so it doesn't bounce around. The proline masher X's have a 24mm hex hub, bolts right on.
Just ordered a full set of the masher X’s for the Kraton. Hopefully that will help keep the power down!

Ran into an unexpected problem with the motor and steering fit. If you look closely where I've circled, you can see that the steering assembly is now bumping into the motor case and prohibiting from turning because the motor is now closer to the center of the vehicle after installing the smaller spur gear. Did anyone run into this problem with 30/39 gearing? If so, what can I do to solve for it?

unnamed_LI.jpg
@Yasaboss @Armarookie43
@Hammer Down
@marucci87

Ran into an unexpected problem with the motor and steering fit. If you look closely where I've circled, you can see that the steering assembly is now bumping into the motor case and prohibiting from turning because the motor is now closer to the center of the vehicle after installing the smaller spur gear. Did anyone run into this problem with 30/39 gearing? If so, what can I do to solve for it?

View attachment 190950@Yasaboss @Armarookie43
@Hammer Down
@marucci87
I run taller gearing (39/39 on my 800kv) so it pushes it further from the bell crank.
You can either notch the crank a bit or I’ve heard the M2C one clears. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 190950@Yasaboss @Armarookie43
@Hammer Down
@marucci87
That's odd, I have this exact set up with all stock motor mounts, 30 pin 39 spurs and it's not even close on the k8 exb. Not sure what's up there. Could it be possible the motor mount or slide is backwards?

That's odd, I have this exact set up with all stock motor mounts, 30 pin 39 spurs and it's not even close on the k8 exb. Not sure what's up there. Could it be possible the motor mount or slide is backwards?
Would the mount or slide fit if they were backwards? I don't know without checking. This is the RTR version, so maybe the geometry is a little different from the EXB. Either way, a few more things to check. Thank you!

Geometry should be exactly the same rtr or exb, and I think the insert only goes one way. 🤷‍♂️

Make sure you got a hamer.. Going to need to straighten them cvds from time to time
Come on we all no i didnt buld this to be a 60 ft jumper !! With that being said . it can jump 20 ft. All day and look gd doing it. Well as long as you no how to land on the wheels.

Would the mount or slide fit if they were backwards? I don't know without checking. This is the RTR version, so maybe the geometry is a little different from the EXB. Either way, a few more things to check. Thank you!
Not sure exactly, I'll try and take a pic later, only reason I didn't go 800kv was it doesn't clear the stearing, but the castle 1100kv clears perfectly on mine, and I have those rock gaurds on aswell.

Not sure exactly, I'll try and take a pic later, only reason I didn't go 800kv was it doesn't clear the stearing, but the castle 1100kv clears perfectly on mine, and I have those rock gaurds on aswell.
Pretty sure they are exactly the same size.

I stripped a motor slide screw taking the motor out to address the steering issue. I've never actually stripped a screw before! So I had no idea what to do and decided to try drilling it. Somehow, I managed to break the screw down in pieces and pull it out without damaging the motor mount. WHEW.

After futzing with the steering assembly and looking over the motor and motor mount I just could not find anything "off" that would explain why the steering assembly was hitting the motor case now that I installed the 39 tooth spur. The motor was just closer to the center of the vehicle with the smaller spur. So, I decided to just dremel some plastic of that steering piece and see what happens. That was enough for the steering to move freely, so I buttoned it back up and took it for a shakedown in the neighborhood. Holy SMOKES. I've never seen, much less driven, a truck this size with this kind of motor or gearing. It is amazing. Hopefully between now and Friday when the GPS arrives, I'll be able to track down a good speed test location!

I've played around with gearing on my XMAXX as well and I think 20/50 is the sweet spot. Can't wait to test both beasts! 🤙⚡😜🤩

I stripped a motor slide screw taking the motor out to address the steering issue. I've never actually stripped a screw before! So I had no idea what to do and decided to try drilling it. Somehow, I managed to break the screw down in pieces and pull it out without damaging the motor mount. WHEW.

After futzing with the steering assembly and looking over the motor and motor mount I just could not find anything "off" that would explain why the steering assembly was hitting the motor case now that I installed the 39 tooth spur. The motor was just closer to the center of the vehicle with the smaller spur. So, I decided to just dremel some plastic of that steering piece and see what happens. That was enough for the steering to move freely, so I buttoned it back up and took it for a shakedown in the neighborhood. Holy SMOKES. I've never seen, much less driven, a truck this size with this kind of motor or gearing. It is amazing. Hopefully between now and Friday when the GPS arrives, I'll be able to track down a good speed test location!

I've played around with gearing on my XMAXX as well and I think 20/50 is the sweet spot. Can't wait to test both beasts! 🤙⚡😜🤩
They are magnificent beasts for sure! 😎

First test run complete without flames, explosions, or high speed impacts ✅😎.

For the 1100KV motor at about 35V and geared at 30/39, I thought it might hit a slightly faster top speed. A truck that size looked ridiculous moving that fast, for sure, but I’m wondering if there is an unknown variable zapping a little top speed out of it. Could not cleaning the bearings have that much effect? Again, complete novice here doing all of this for the first time. Thanks again everyone!!! 🙏

P.S. the amperage, RPM, and HP data came from the XLX2 data log, which I have to say is pretty darn neat software.

E193A772-47D5-441C-89D3-31E5233380EF.png

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back