Granite Will widening the wheel base help with control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Fam,

I have the Granite 4x4 BLX and will admit I am a newbie. I seem to flip it a lot and really hate to run out in the field to put it back on the wheels.

Would widening the tire stands out more help....I am a newbie so if yes can you detailed what I can do:
I saw this posted somewhere not sure if this is a solution for the Granite BLX: https://www.ebay.com/p/15028922807?iid=264173538295

I do have the STX2 radio that came with it and bought a Tactic radio that's still in the box never installed.

Again on control, widening then wheels out help on the control and flipping?

I just got a granite blx about a month ago myself and I’m a newbie to this level of rc. I flip mine a lot when I’m at 100% on the throttle limit switch on the transmitter. At 75% I don’t seem to flip it as much. Also you might try slowing your steering rate on the transmitter so it’s not so quick. I could be way off on my suggestions though lol something to try none the less

Yes widening it will help some, but there is also the issue of the stock tires having more lateral grip than necessary. MX28 Badlands are much better at letting you drift laterally but still give decent bite going forward. They are my favorite tire for the Granite bar none.

Cheat code for widening AND running MX28s is to buy the HR 17mm hex extenders. They give you 10mm width each side. World of difference.

I am used to wide wheelbase surface rc vehicles. And yes the wider stance will help with stability.

I asked this question not too long ago and got some good info. It might help you out.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/granite-4x4-expert-help.20406/

Wow...this is nice what you have done. Skillset wise I am so green I am not at this level but good job! I have bookmarked this as I gain the knowledge I would want to break it down and build it up like that. I need to try a way I can master first before I can go there....great info, thanks again!
Yes widening it will help some, but there is also the issue of the stock tires having more lateral grip than necessary. MX28 Badlands are much better at letting you drift laterally but still give decent bite going forward. They are my favorite tire for the Granite bar none.

Cheat code for widening AND running MX28s is to buy the HR 17mm hex extenders. They give you 10mm width each side. World of difference.

This is good info as well....something I think I can do. From your recommendation, it looks like if I find the MX28s that will fit as long as I buy the HR hex extenders....right?

Let me look for the items...

Question....which MX28 did you buy? I see two that will work. One with a 17mm ready to go. The other is a with a removable hex?

Removable hex (what I saw on a video for a Granite)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...-wheels-2-m2-pro10125-10/p985706?v=873803&r=0

17mm (one I think I need if I am going with HR extender)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...nitro-rear-wheels-2-black-pro10125-18/p708334

Question....which MX28 did you buy? I see two that will work. One with a 17mm ready to go. The other is a with a removable hex?

Removable hex (what I saw on a video for a Granite)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...-wheels-2-m2-pro10125-10/p985706?v=873803&r=0

17mm (one I think I need if I am going with HR extender)
https://www.amainhobbies.com/prolin...nitro-rear-wheels-2-black-pro10125-18/p708334
I am not sure about the ones with inserts. Some people have had issues with them. I have an older set on the F11 wheels

Wide will help with rollovers. It won't help with poor throttle control that results with your truck on its back.

Wide will help with rollovers. It won't help with poor throttle control that results with your truck on its back.

Good feedback....on the throttle issue are you suggesting I swap the radio to the Tactic over the STX2? Or is the throttle related to something else...

Good feedback....on the throttle issue are you suggesting I swap the radio to the Tactic over the STX2? Or is the throttle related to something else...
It means on how sensitive you are to operating the throttle. Radio is really immaterial. With experience you know how much to pull the trigger without the truck flipping over on its back. We call that throttle control i.e. modulating the throttle. Some never quite figure it out.

It means on how sensitive you are to operating the throttle. Radio is really immaterial. With experience you know how much to pull the trigger without the truck flipping over on its back. We call that throttle control i.e. modulating the throttle. Some never quite figure it out.

Good info....learning as I go thx for this!

Don’t some of the proline wheels have off set rims ?

Last edited:

Are there any downsides to widening the stance? Seems like it's a no brainer.

Yes it won’t go straight as easy. The more square the wheel stance is, the more it will tend to do donuts under power. Think about top rail dragsters. Long and narrow. Compare that to a 911. More squared. The dragster would never be able to hang at the Nurburgring, but would smoke the 911 at Norwalk.

All good feedback. I did widen mine. Yes, I like the better control widen and I have a combination of tires from the 2.8 Badlands to the Duratrax from 14mm to 17mm... Both run just fine whichever way you go. I do have a better servo and radio so I have no issues with keeping it straight for me. My bashing style is the park or construction areas with loose dirt, rocks, simple hills to get little air...little to no hard surface running.

With all that and upgrades, the best improvement I made was/is learning throttle control and vets here are right on that I still can flip it if I don't have better control of that throttle!

What helped me with throttle control was taking mine to a park that has Decomposed granite, grass, and asphalt. You learn how all 3 surfaces react to throttle and turning pretty quickly haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back