Kraton Wing brace on a wing brace

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everybody! Just got back into RC’s after a few years (decade and a half?) away from the hobby and bought a Kraton EXB a few months back. I’ve been having a “blast” with it, but I too have had issues with the rear wing mount breaking.

I just finished my version of the wing mount support (thanks to some old Traxxas parts I had laying around; see the pic). I was wondering, now that a few of you all have done this, has there been any other breakage/issues with this support setup?

I’m going to run without a wing for a awhile to get away from the “shoveling” that the wing does on some wicked rolls, but I do have a wheelie bar attached. I have ordered an Outcast wing to try as an alternative because it seems a bit smaller, so we’ll see how that goes.

Anyway, I appreciate any and all feedback that I’ll get with everyone else’s experience with this modification!

View attachment 129141
To me, that kind of support just seems like a good way to snap screws off in your bulkhead/diff case.

Never mind. Took the Kraton out today, somehow I sent the truck into 100’ bumper to wheelie bar roll and snapped the plastic turnbuckles on the brace. Granted the plastic on those turnbuckles is probably close to 20 years old. The wing mounts and everything else survived, so yay for that!
From my experience these braces work really well at saving the wing mounts but they do need reasonable sturdy rod ends (I use worn out Arrma 3S ones). I also run a RPM bumper with the top section removed on the rear now and that helps protect the structs from impacts. Mine are fairly bent now and just made out of cut down bolts but still do the job and I haven't broken any other wing mount related parts since I fitted them.
20210220_105527.jpg

To me, that kind of support just seems like a good way to snap screws off in your bulkhead/diff case.
I sheared off the wing mount screws that go into the top part of the housing before I fitted this. Since fitting no bolts have snapped (and no my driving hasn't got any better!). The bottom screws go through the metal hinge pin plate before they go into the diff housing so any shear force is spread across that plate, which hooks over the chassis to take vertical loads. If the screws were to snap I think it most likely they would snap between the rod end and the metal plate - so you just take it apart and unscrew the remaining bolt using the exposed end. I doubt it will do any harm to the diff housing, the screws already take the loads applied to the hinge pins - but I guess time will tell.

They are quite a few of us running these braces now - anyone broken anything because of them?

Last edited:
So I took the Kraton to a BMX park today; had a blast for the most part. Rear wing mounts (boiled RPM set) made it almost to the end of the battery life before one of them snapped. I know I’m not the best driver, but that wing is big trouble for rear end landings. After I get this fourth set (probably go ahead and get a fifth and sixth set too), I’m definitely taking that rear wing off and leaving it off. 😒 Stupid design.

So I took the Kraton to a BMX park today; had a blast for the most part. Rear wing mounts (boiled RPM set) made it almost to the end of the battery life before one of them snapped. I know I’m not the best driver, but that wing is big trouble for rear end landings. After I get this fourth set (probably go ahead and get a fifth and sixth set too), I’m definitely taking that rear wing off and leaving it off. 😒 Stupid design.
I've gone to pretty serious extremes to protect my rear shocks/body mount/towers in the past... not sure what I can do on the outcast though, besides keep shelling out $ for RPM wing mounts and boiling them.

A lot of times though, I was protecting a nitro engine as much as anything else...
2006-0722-RevoHalfBodyRollBar.jpg

2004-1116-SavageTankCage2.jpg

2005-0515-SavageRCSCage01.JPG

2005-0917-BentRCSCage.JPG

2005-0918-RCSCageFix.JPG

2006-0722-SavageSH28SideBody.jpg

2007-0722-BashWithBrantStill.JPG

2012-1223-JatoRearHigh.jpg

I remember the delrin rod and flat stock guys...
2005-0828-BladesDelrinCage.jpg

I wonder if the increased flex in the rpm mounts is meaning the braces can't do their job as effectively as the whole thing still just flexes and breaks something.

What do you guys use for the links? Whats the distance between the two points. I don't have a proper way to measure just a tape measure.
I used 83mm links from element rc with the plastic end rods.

DSCN0660.JPG

DSCN0661.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back