Outcast Wing mount screws into rear diff broke off.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainmatty

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
What up y'all!?! Noticed my rear wing mount was moving up and down after a rip the other day. Turns out the screws that go threw the mount and threw the shock tower into the rear diff snapped clean off. Leaving screw ends stuck inside of the plastic diff housing. Anyone else with these issues? Any alluminum diff housings y'all might recommend? Thanks for any advice you may have.

Attachments

• 1542422015453467218919241987483.jpg
    1542422015453467218919241987483.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 156
I had the same thing happen to me. I was able to get the broken ones out by taking the diff case out and using a pair of vice grips. Apparently it’s a common problem, like the post above says the hot racing one seems like the way to go. The whole wing mount design is pretty crappy imo

Just my thoughts...while the HR diff case is beautiful and stronger, won't the stiffer and less forgiving aluminum result in the wing mount screws breaking even more easily?

Is it possible to change the grade of those two screws? Not sure what comes stock, and I understand they are very thin, but in such a troublesome area, better to just switch them out. Maybe even something with a slight shank would work better, not threaded right to the head.

Is it possible to change the grade of those two screws? Not sure what comes stock, and I understand they are very thin, but in such a troublesome area, better to just switch them out. Maybe even something with a slight shank would work better, not threaded right to the head.
Stock screws are 12.9 grade hardened steel. Next step up is titanium. These screws just like the shock standoff screws should be M4 screws from the factory not M3.

Titanium bends way easier than 12.9 grade hardened steel, I Replaced all my screws with titanium screws from Protek rc (amain) and just after few minutes of bashing I had bend screws in a few areas like wing mount and suspension mounts. They even say it on the label of those titanium screws („ Never use in high stress areas, such as shock mounts or chassis braces.”)

Titanium bends way easier than 12.9 grade hardened steel, I Replaced all my screws with titanium screws from Protek rc (amain) and just after few minutes of bashing I had bend screws in a few areas like wing mount and suspension mounts. They even say it on the label of those titanium screws („ Never use in high stress areas, such as shock mounts or chassis braces.”)
Then what screws am I thinking of? Because I know it's not stainless.

Then what screws am I thinking of? Because I know it's not stainless.
The screws you’re thinking of hasn’t been invented yet lol. The toughest is hardened steel so 12.9 hardened steel>titanium>stainless steel...the problem is just like you said these screws should be M4 in some areas instead of M3

What up y'all!?! Noticed my rear wing mount was moving up and down after a rip the other day. Turns out the screws that go threw the mount and threw the shock tower into the rear diff snapped clean off. Leaving screw ends stuck inside of the plastic diff housing. Anyone else with these issues? Any alluminum diff housings y'all might recommend? Thanks for any advice you may have.

The problem is the giant Wing, I broke these screws off twice, simple fix just pull the aluminum shock tower off, that should expose enough screw to remove with vice grip. After breaking these off twice usually from wheelieing and flipping backwards, it finally broke both wing mounts off flush with the aluminum shock tower. I did buy the better Wing Mounts but I left them off since it will likely continue to break teh screws off, or worse, break the diff case eventually. I left it like it is, that part rotates just a little but not a problem. Now, with no wing, I've flipped it 10-30x the same way and nothing else is breaking. So I just leave the wing off, problem solved.

I do get some dirt and scraped on the shock tower tops, but that's it.

The bolts that attach the wing mount to the shock tower. Mine sheared off and I can't seem to find the part number.
M3x20mm button head screw iirc, you don't have to buy Arrma screws any 12.9 grade black oxide screw does the trick, don't use stainless steel they will just bend.

Last edited:
M3x20mm button head screw iirc, you don't have to buy Arrma screws any 12.9 grade black oxide screw does the trick, don't use stainless steel they will just bend.
That's odd the ones that mine came with were cap heads.

I used to have that issue. I use 4mm now and I even go as far to put a nut on the end of it. Haven't broken or bent one since.. however I have broken the housing once from a fall 40ft out of the air on lvc lol. Other then that worked great.
20200405_225507.jpg
see still holding lmao

I went stainless after I broke the stock black ones, and haven't had a broken screw since. Right after I got home from the hardware store, installed the two stainless screws on the new wing mounts, with wing, broke the mounts again in about 3 minutes, but this time the screws were not broke, one was bent, that was it. I was hoping they wouldn't break since I prefer bending.. easier to get out if needed, but it was still doing it's job, just bent.

So then since my mounts were broke I removed the Wing, removed the bent screw and replaced it with another stainless. Since then (no wing, no wing mounts since they broke off).. no more problems. I feel like the stainless is the way to go because they absorb energy by bending rather than breaking. Now I'm debating leaving the wing and mounts off completely since I haven't broke or bent anything with it off. Maybe I'll make an aluminum crash bumper to go around the shock tower, but with many more, worse crashes, so far it hasn't bent or broke anything with no wing, no mounts, and stainless screws.

Stainless.JPG

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back