Kraton Wing mount screws keep snapping in half

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of our supplied hardware is acquired through McMaster Carr M3 by 20 is what we used you’ll be looking for and 3 x 25 to acquire enough room to add a Nylok nut on the end but you will have to take a couple threads off because it’s just a tad too long

Well im definately in the market for a new wing mount, now. I went out in the yard just to drive it around. I figured i was safe with the broken wing mount since i was only driving in a flat lawn and i figured who knows how many times that car has tumbled before i noticed the broken screws. Well, i hit the brakes as it went over a bump or something and it cartwheeled for about 10-15 feet and it snaped the wing right off the car and bent the shock tower slightly. Figures the one time i took it out with a known issue it would bite me in the butt 🤣. So the overwhelming response is the 3drc mount but i have a few options for shock towers. Jennysrc has a set of the black oem towers for $10 a set or the red EXB towers for $35 or do i just pony up and get m2c tower for $48? $10 plus $5 for shipping from jennys for the stock rtr tower is hard to beat, then i can also grab a screw kit along with it. What route would you guys go with?
I learned that one one time years back. I sheared off my wing mounts clean, wing and all. I decided to keep driving, and bent the R. Tower and stripped screws in the bulkhead/diff case in one shot a second later.
Avoid cartwheeling at all costs.
And I find that you can sometimes control a cartwheel from going the distance, once it starts. Cartwheeling looks benign, but it really can do some carnage. Its all about driver control. Throttling Rotation and Steering input.
Just never be hard throttling on a hard 4 wheel Air landing. Let off.....or your drivetrain will be $devastated$ for that one split second moment.
:cool:

i went on the unbrako website to buy some screws but cant figure out how to buy them
i got to this page but when i click on an item it just shows me pictures. also what thread pitch do i need?
https://unbrako.com/socket-screws

Last edited:
It seems like the 3D RC mounts are the go to but to get a set in Australia, it will cost nearly $50 Aus to get delivered. For some 3D printed wing mounts that is expensive.
$17 shipped in the US is really expensive for something thats 3d printed.
Here is a link to a master unbrako dealer.

https://www.earnestmachine.com/unbrako-products

MSC industrial also carried them.

I forget the pitch off hand but it’s the coarser of the two.
i couldnt find anything from either of those 2 that would work. 25mm is too long with the 3drc mount, not even sure if either of those places had an m3x25, which is funny because the 3drc dude say to use a 25mm bolt to use with a locknut.
a 25mm screw hits the underside of the 3drc mount where it attaches to the brace. i would need a 22 or 23mm bolt. i had 1 25mm m3 screw so i think ill just buy some from the hardware store or autoparts store and cut them down and see how that goes for now.

Last edited:
$17 shipped in the US is really expensive for something thats 3d printed.

i couldnt find anything from either of those 2 that would work. 25mm is too long with the 3drc mount, not even sure if either of those places had an m3x25, which is funny because the 3drc dude say to use a 25mm bolt to use with a locknut.
a 25mm screw hits the underside of the 3drc mount where it attaches to the brace. i would need a 22 or 23mm bolt. i had 1 25mm m3 screw so i think ill just buy some from the hardware store or autoparts store and cut them down and see how that goes for now.
3d rc's mount might be a little pricey for a printed part..but you'll likely never buy another one though, other than for color variety. Comes with mounting screws to replace the ones you broke too.

They are borderline indestructible. Best upgrade I ever bought for my Noto. Just got a Kraton and first thing I'm doing is throwing one of those bad boys on.

I'd go that route before laying down$$$ on m2c parts to solve the problem unless you really want the bling.

Last edited:
3d rc's mount might be a little pricey for a printed part..but you'll likely never buy another one though, other than for color variety. Comes with mounting screws to replace the ones you broke too.

They are borderline indestructible. Best upgrade I ever bought for my Noto. Just got a Kraton and first thing I'm doing is throwing one of those bad boys on.

I'd go that route before laying down$$$ on m2c parts to solve the problem unless you really want the bling.
i know i bought one :ROFLMAO: . the indestructibility of it doesn't mean its not super expensive for some 3d printed mounts.

I drilled mine out too m6 bolts on my 8s. No breakages since. Sorry too the haters but she is a dirty girl 🤣🤣
16813225764158909193578847680876.jpg

Yeah dirty with a leaking Rear diff bulkhead too.:rolleyes:
I don't mind dusty dirty at all. I only clean them meticulously when I do a complete teardown and rebuild.
But a muddied up rig I have to draw the line. Everything gets worn out very quick.
Infrequent Mud splashes are ok, but hardened mud plastered all over is not acceptable. :cry:
Please don't show us dirty pix again. There is a Forum rule in regards to this. You could get banned and end up on the TRX forum. Clean pix only.
Follow the rules please.;) Lets keep a clean Forum.

I don't mind dusty dirty at all. I only clean them meticulously when I do a complete teardown and rebuild.
But a muddied up rig I have to draw the line. Everything gets worn out very quick.
Infrequent Mud splashes are ok, but hardened mud plastered all over is not acceptable. :cry:
Please don't show us dirty pix again. There is a Forum rule in regards to this. You could get banned and end up on the TRX forum. Clean pix only.
Boy I'm in trouble then, I have all sorts of dirty XXX pics of my rigs after running in the mud!🤣

Only 3 runs on that diff. Sorry I will scrub her later an float it back on The ceiling. Trx are both clean
20230330_172648.jpg
IMG_1045.jpg
Screenshot_20230408_005706_Gallery.jpg

The screws to my wing mount keep snapping off in the bulkhead. This is the second time in 2 battery packs they have snapped off. The oem screws bent badly so i replaced them with some screws i had from an rc screws kit from and old ass hpi savage but the screws were the exact same size. The first time they snapped off one of the screws snapped flush with the bulkhead so i had tear apart the whole rear end to get at the broken screw then spend 2 hours getting it out doing as little damage to the bulkhead as possible. Luckily this time it looks like they are flush with the backside of the shock tower (as kinda shown in picture) so once i remove that i should be able to get some vice grips on it and unscrew it. How the hell do i stop screws from snapping off in the bulkhead? Obviously i need better screws but if you can find better screws in an rc screws kit where the hell do you find them? Has rc screws significantly improved their quality in the last 10-15 years? Please help.
Btw i swear i pisted this already but it doesn't show up anywhere that i see so my apologies if this is a double post.

View attachment 237177
I'm with you here is my advice:

1. Become a better driver lol. Yeah, learn the ins and outs of rotating your truck in the air. Aircontrol. This is clear indication you're continuously landing wrong :ROFLMAO: just sayin.

2. Use heavier screws not those nice looking ones, use hard ugly steel.

3. Try this, I have the same issue and I'm going here next:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/rpm-ar...x0E_Lk-m9a7_pgjssxmxpkdu1TWTE1PxoC2qEQAvD_BwE

I'm with you here is my advice:

1. Become a better driver lol. Yeah, learn the ins and outs of rotating your truck in the air. Aircontrol. This is clear indication you're continuously landing wrong :ROFLMAO: just sayin.

2. Use heavier screws not those nice looking ones, use hard ugly steel.

3. Try this, I have the same issue and I'm going here next:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/rpm-ar...x0E_Lk-m9a7_pgjssxmxpkdu1TWTE1PxoC2qEQAvD_BwE
Have these ready as back up.
Thank you for your kind words on my driving.
There was me thinking its was all the trucks fault
Screenshot_20230412_220241_Chrome.jpg

Have these ready as back up.
Thank you for your kind words on my driving.
There was me thinking its was all the trucks fault
View attachment 292272
I'm just busting your chops man, that was more for me since I've broken it twice between last month and this month lol. Can't make out what that is on the pic but it looks Defcon 4.

I'm just busting your chops man, that was more for me since I've broken it twice between last month and this month lol. Can't make out what that is on the pic but it looks Defcon 4.
3drc rubber mount.
It's all good I know I can't bash or drive an not very good at maintaining diffs. The enjoyment of when on the rare occasion I land or manage not to blow the tyers off before batteries die.
Bash on 👊

Screenshot_20230412_220241_Chrome.jpg

Amazed at how flexible these 3drc mounts are

The screws to my wing mount keep snapping off in the bulkhead. This is the second time in 2 battery packs they have snapped off. The oem screws bent badly so i replaced them with some screws i had from an rc screws kit from and old ass hpi savage but the screws were the exact same size. The first time they snapped off one of the screws snapped flush with the bulkhead so i had tear apart the whole rear end to get at the broken screw then spend 2 hours getting it out doing as little damage to the bulkhead as possible. Luckily this time it looks like they are flush with the backside of the shock tower (as kinda shown in picture) so once i remove that i should be able to get some vice grips on it and unscrew it. How the hell do i stop screws from snapping off in the bulkhead? Obviously i need better screws but if you can find better screws in an rc screws kit where the hell do you find them? Has rc screws significantly improved their quality in the last 10-15 years? Please help.
Btw i swear i pisted this already but it doesn't show up anywhere that i see so my apologies if this is a double post.

View attachment 237177
what sixw are these screws please

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back